Centre-back

Paulmcfc2703 said:
Marvin said:
I'm not sure whether a short term signing is the answer

Defensive organisation isn't going to instantly improve with another new player in the back 4.
But it can hardly make it worse
Agreed... As if we can put up with that kind of defensive attitude till January, we'd be 10+ points behind united and Chelsea before we can sign anyone! Garcia and lescott as anything more than a short term back up is just not good enough.

Garcia and Lescott don't cut it as a defensive partnership, Lescott and Kompany yes, Nastasic and Lescott yes, hell, even Richards and Lescott are better !! Missing kolo in my opinion, I thought he played well last season when Vinny was injured, we need someone like him for cover.

There has seemed to be no urgency to close a deal for a defender this week, with Txiki and Pellegrini probably feeling Garcia could 'fill in' until then. Today showed that Garcia can't 'fill in', at least not while Kompany is injured. Kompany can seem to partner well with anyone but once he's injured, we defend like a Championship team and it's a sorry sight. And like Mancini, it looks like Pellegrini doesn't believe two left-footers (Lescott/Nastasic) will work.

So whether it's Demichelis or someone else, they need to up the urgency and get someone in before the next game. If only Varane hadn't gotten injured, we may have had Pepe. We need an experienced defender with leadership and Champions League experience. Demichelis is still pretty good and might do a job, but if we want a high quality player in his prime, with leadership skills and the ability to organise a defence then I think Godin from Atletico would be better. He has been immense in the past year and is more mobile than Demichelis too. Either way, we need a second defender who can lead.

Lescott can't lead because he doesn't have the skill or intelligence, while Nastasic is just too young and inexperienced to be a leader.

LoveCity said:
There has seemed to be no urgency to close a deal for a defender this week, with Txiki and Pellegrini probably feeling Garcia could 'fill in' until then. Today showed that Garcia can't 'fill in', at least not while Kompany is injured. Kompany can seem to partner well with anyone but once he's injured, we defend like a Championship team and it's a sorry sight. And like Mancini, it looks like Pellegrini doesn't believe two left-footers (Lescott/Nastasic) will work.

So whether it's Demichelis or someone else, they need to up the urgency and get someone in before the next game. If only Varane hadn't gotten injured, we may have had Pepe. We need an experienced defender with leadership and Champions League experience. Demichelis is still pretty good and might do a job, but if we want a high quality player in his prime, with leadership skills and the ability to organise a defence then I think Godin from Atletico would be better. He has been immense in the past year and is more mobile than Demichelis too. Either way, we need a second defender who can lead.

Lescott can't lead because he doesn't have the skill or intelligence, while Nastasic is just too young and inexperienced to be a leader.

The obvious advantage with Demichelis of course, is that he knows very well just how Pellegrini wants his defence to operate. Hopefully he could help the other defenders adapt more quickly.

I don't think it is that Pellegrini/Mancini don't want to play two left footers I believe it is as you say LoveCity that Lescott just cannot lead.

The man is a fine defender but with the ball at his feet he is a nervous wreck and he rarely seems to speak to others around him. The rise of Nastasic is down to Kompany imo.

He just emits confidence and class that Nastasic, Lescott and recently Boyata just feed off.

Can Demichelis do the same thing? quite possibly. He is very experienced, comfortable in possession and doesn't pussy foot around the box when he doesn't need to.

We have the best squad in the league according to our manager but what we don't have is enough players with the right attitude and bringing in replacements doesn't necessarily solve the problems.

The mindset must be one of win at all costs even if you have to scrap tooth and nail to do it.

We think we can do it flair and individual acts of skill every week and we know and the players should know that doesn't cut it in this league.

I can handle being embarrassed or losing to a better side but performances like the one we have just witnessed today smack of players that don't give a toss and are unacceptable.

As I have said many times too many of them think one title is enough and can't be arsed to do it again.

mancity1 said:
We have the best squad in the league according to our manager but what we don't have is enough players with the right attitude and bringing in replacements doesn't necessarily solve the problems.

The mindset must be one of win at all costs even if you have to scrap tooth and nail to do it.

We think we can do it flair and individual acts of skill every week and we know and the players should know that doesn't cut it in this league.

I can handle being embarrassed or losing to a better side but performances like the one we have just witnessed today smack of players that don't give a toss and are unacceptable.

As I have said many times too many of them think one title is enough and can't be arsed to do it again.
The last line is beginning to become the prevailing opinion of the majority on this forum
This attitude must be weeded out root and branch

I thought Savic was bad and was very happy when we got shut in part ex for Nasty.......but we just couldn't help ourselves and now we have a player that is so easily turned, whether playing CH or DM, that I literally look away when he is trying to catch an attacker now.

He shouldn't be in the squad never mind the bench and never ever in the starting 11. Please before it's too late to catch up...replace him.

He's the new RSC . Pelle saw what he couldn't do in pre-season and repeated the mistake again. Not impressed...and pissed off.

Garcia was very poor today, Lescott needs a leader as a partner in defence, not Garcia.

Kompany is the leader, that Boyata, Lescott and Nastasic all need to partner in defence.

We need cover for Kompany, preferably someone with experience, who Pellegrini can trust to organise the defence.

It doesn't matter how old this player is, as long as he is good enough. DeMichelis is likely but Pepe would be better, he would easily cope with the Premier league, whereas DeMichelis might be too old to cope.

Whoever comes in, we need a centreback, and Hart also has question marks hanging over his performance, he's definitely gone backwards as a keeper, and he needs a coach who can improve him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.