Cesc Fabregas signs for Chelsea (page 190)

Re: Cesc Fabregas

El Mago said:
SPIDERBOY said:
Pam said:
How old is Cesc, anyone? Quite a bit younger than Yaya, I am assuming.

27, I think,yeah..27 on 4th may......plenty left in the tank,IMO.

I would rather to have 3 seasons from Yaya instead of six from Cesc.

Cesc is special player, but Yaya is "exceptional".

On his day yes. I can't say I've seen enough to comment on Cesc's consistency in La Liga but he was certainly more consistent than Yaya in the prem. Yaya is more likely to grab the odd game by the scruff of the neck but Fabregas can probably give you just as much if not more with consistent performances throughout the season. I think people are forgetting how good Fabregas is/was

sam-caddick said:
LoveCity said:
El Mago said:
I would rather to have 3 seasons from Yaya instead of six from Cesc.

Cesc is special player, but Yaya is "exceptional".

Agreed. The whole "he's 31 so sell now"... when we had a saga like this last year, people said similar, and look at the season that followed.

Still at least two great seasons left in Yaya if he isn't overworked, so I hope this can be sorted.

Fabregas would be a downgrade IMO. Not only is Yaya a great player, he's almost a perfect player for the Premier League.

It's pointless if he doesn't want to play for us anymore though.

I wouldn't want to be him going into pre season apologising to the lads for being such a mard because I am not being loved enough despite being the clubs highest earner.

Maybe. But if Yaya has to go, I'd hope we look for someone who can dominate a game like Arturo Vidal, who I rate more than the Fabregas of the last few years.

Fabregas is good at going missing, Vidal never hides.

Suarez wanted to leave Liverpool but he ended up doing very well.

Tevez wanted out but on the pitch his performance was always 100%.

Yaya has a contract till 2017, if he wants out then let Barcelona give us Messi since he is the only player who can match Yaya's impact on our team.

If Yaya really is set on leaving, then I'd put Fabregas pretty high on my list of people I'd want to replace him, probably only second to Moutinho, who I am ridiculously fond of. The homegrown aspect is a real plus as well, and if Barca are the ones Yaya is angling for a move to then Fabregas would be an obvious move. More reliable than Yaya, but without the same potential for devestation. He's a 5-8/10 every time, whereas Yaya can go anywhere from a 3 to a 10 imo. Some will say that Fabrgas doesn't offer the goals that Yaya does, but I'd argue that's probably not true, Cesc has probably been a far more consistent goalscorer than Yaya, who really never scored as many as he should of untill this year

LoveCity said:
sam-caddick said:
LoveCity said:
Agreed. The whole "he's 31 so sell now"... when we had a saga like this last year, people said similar, and look at the season that followed.

Still at least two great seasons left in Yaya if he isn't overworked, so I hope this can be sorted.

Fabregas would be a downgrade IMO. Not only is Yaya a great player, he's almost a perfect player for the Premier League.

I wouldn't want to be him going into pre season apologising to the lads for being such a mard because I am not being loved enough despite being the clubs highest earner.

Maybe. But if Yaya has to go, I'd hope we look for someone who can dominate a game like Arturo Vidal, who I rate more than the Fabregas of the last few years.

But at what level has Vidal dominated games? He certainly hasn't dominated many CL games, or even EL games that I can recall. He's only dominated Serie A games in a side that is far, far better than every other team, in a midfield that is infinitely better than anything else in the league. Fabregas used to dominate games for Arsenal all the time, it's only at Barca where he's not the big fish anymore that he seems to get lost amongst the established "leaders", like so many others have. If he was the boss of our midfield then I'd expect him to thrive

BigOscar said:
LoveCity said:
sam-caddick said:

But at what level has Vidal dominated games? He certainly hasn't dominated many CL games, or even EL games that I can recall. He's only dominated Serie A games in a side that is far, far better than every other team, in a midfield that is infinitely better than anything else in the league. Fabregas used to dominate games for Arsenal all the time, it's only at Barca where he's not the big fish anymore that he seems to get lost amongst the established "leaders", like so many others have. If he was the boss of our midfield then I'd expect him to thrive

Vidal scored 5 goals in 6 games from midfield in the Champions League this season and was fantastic against Real Madrid in the home game. He has been better in Champions League games for Juve than Yaya has been for us, IMO. Yaya has been slightly disappointing against difficult teams in the CL, while dominating the Premier League.

LoveCity said:
BigOscar said:
LoveCity said:

Vidal scored 5 goals in 6 games from midfield in the Champions League this season and was fantastic against Real Madrid in the home game. He has been better in Champions League games for Juve than Yaya has been for us, IMO. Yaya has been slightly disappointing against difficult teams in the CL, while dominating the Premier League.
To be fair, 4 of those 5 goals were penalties, so I don't think he can get too much credit on that goalscoring record. To go out of their group, with only a home win against Kopenhagen, to me at least, suggests he can't have dominated that much. Obviously that's a far too simplistic way of looking at it, but it's still hardly a ringing endorsement, if when you dominate a game, you still can't beat the likes of Galatasaray or Kopenhagen.

To be honest I think I'm just tarring all Serie A players with the same brush and being pretty unfair, but I just don't trust the league and never have, especially when it comes to transitioning to the PL.

BigOscar said:
LoveCity said:
BigOscar said:

To be fair, 4 of those 5 goals were penalties, so I don't think he can get too much credit on that goalscoring record. To go out of their group, with only a home win against Kopenhagen, to me at least, suggests he can't have dominated that much. Obviously that's a far too simplistic way of looking at it, but it's still hardly a ringing endorsement, if when you dominate a game, you still can't beat the likes of Galatasaray or Kopenhagen.

To be honest I think I'm just tarring all Serie A players with the same brush and being pretty unfair, but I just don't trust the league and never have, especially when it comes to transitioning to the PL.

Well, this year I only watched him against Real Madrid and he was better than the entire Real Madrid midfield. Last year I did watch him more in the CL and he was incredible too. Vidal wasn't to blame for Juve failing to qualify for the last 16 this year from what I could tell (they were harshly eliminated anyway because of the Galatasaray pitch scandal).

BTW Vidal makes WhoScored's CL top 10 as the best central midfielder in the tournament :-). Also made the most successful tackles per game, something he's always good at.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/250/Tournaments/12/Seasons/3872/Stages/8462/PlayerStatistics/Europe-UEFA-Champions-League-2013-2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/250/To ... -2013-2014</a>

BigOscar said:
LoveCity said:
BigOscar said:

well squawka ranked him as Juve's best CL player (not saying much), also ranked as the best CM on whoscored.com in the competition (again the pens may distort this), his passing stats were a bit low (though ours were also wildly inconsistent depending on the game), but he seemed to be busy which is something in itself, wasn't hiding.

LoveCity said:
BigOscar said:
LoveCity said:

Well, this year I only watched him against Real Madrid and he was better than the entire Real Madrid midfield. Last year I did watch him more in the CL and he was incredible too. Vidal wasn't to blame for Juve failing to qualify for the last 16 this year from what I could tell (they were harshly eliminated anyway because of the Galatasaray pitch scandal).

BTW Vidal makes WhoScored's CL top 10 as the best central midfielder in the tournament :-). Also made the most successful tackles per game, something he's always good at.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/250/Tournaments/12/Seasons/3872/Stages/8462/PlayerStatistics/Europe-UEFA-Champions-League-2013-2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/250/To ... -2013-2014</a>
Fair enough, but I would note that WhoScored ratings are unreliable, especially when you have someone scoring 4 penalties in 6 games, as any goal you score hugely boosts your rating on there. I didn't see the Real games so I'll take your word for it, the only game I saw him in live this year was the Benfica game, where he and Juve in general looked pretty uninspired.

I'd prefer Fabregas, as I think he is less of a gamble (along with the HG bonus and probably being half the price) but like I said, I have a slightly irrational hatred of Serie A and everyone in it, so that's always going to taint my view of it a bit (or a lot).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.