CFG | Academy | EDS in & out season 2022/23

i Just read the BBC Gossip column and saw that Chelsea were apparently trying to buy Romeo Lavia from Southampton for £50m just days after he had signed for them for just £12m

i have no issue with the way the Club handles its Academy players. Essentially those considered good enough find their way into the first team squad whilst those that aren’t are loaned out or sold. We have to remember the Academy has two main functions - to produce first team players and act as a revenue stream.

The issue I do have is the valuations the Club puts on some of these players. We do seem to have a record of releasing players or selling them for low transfer fees only to see their new Clubs move them on for vast profits not too long later.

We appear to have got the buying side of the transfer market right as we don’t overpay anymore. Now someone needs to turn their attention to getting the right valuations on our young players
With regards to the academy players, the most important thing with our top talents is to have a buyback clause. And realistically, to convince the buying club to accept such a clause, you have to give them an attractive transfer fee. We’d get more money selling them without a buy-back, but we’d also most likely be saying bye to them forever. It’s a trade-off.

Keep in mind Kane also doesn't have great loan experience either, yet he become great striker later on.

Loan result should not be a major factor of why the player will become successfull or not, at the end of the day it will be the player itself mostly that determine if they be successfull at professional football later on their career.

I'm talking this not only just Delap but all of our loanee player like McAtee, THB, Doyle etc. Their success in their own hands and nobody else.

Loaning tends to mean they will never play for us again though. I feel like Joe Hart is the last player that we sent out on loan, who as a result came back and got into our first team. Zinchenko was loaned his first season but it wasn't successful.
What it can achieve though in today's market is a fat chunk of dough for a player that we we're never going to play. Look at Gibbs-White, one decent season in Championship and he goes for over 40mil. If a few of them succeed we could be looking at over 100mil if we sell them all. Basically been Chelsea's model for about a decade and seems we are following suit

Loaning tends to mean they will never play for us again though. I feel like Joe Hart is the last player that we sent out on loan, who as a result came back and got into our first team. Zinchenko was loaned his first season but it wasn't successful.
What it can achieve though in today's market is a fat chunk of dough for a player that we we're never going to play. Look at Gibbs-White, one decent season in Championship and he goes for over 40mil. If a few of them succeed we could be looking at over 100mil if we sell them all. Basically been Chelsea's model for about a decade and seems we are following suit
Zack Steffen, Julian Álvarez, Oleksandr Zinchenko, Gabriel Jesus

Haha why are you trying to count staying at the clubs we bought them from for a few months as successful loan to first team moves?
Steffen success? Reaching
I already mentioned Zin.
You said no one who goes on loan ever comes back to the first team.

All 4 went on loan and came back in to the first team.

We've only just started producing youth players that have a chance of getting in this side, only needs one to break the run from here. Its an imperfect science, getting the loan right, and having the space appear in the squad need at the right time.

Time will tell on the kids going out with buy-backs or loans right now.

I think Southampton could be playing a smart game.
They have bought 4 young players off us.
All will get regular football at Premier league level and all will improve.
If only one of them come back to us, Southampton will have nearly got their money back.

If they sell on to other clubs, they will make a profit.
If they hang on to them, their team can only improve with this addition of younger players.
Not sure has any premier league team bought 4 youngsters from any team before, never mind the current champions.

Even if they get relegated, they can probably hang on to them as they are probably on wages that Southampton could afford even in the championship

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.