Chairman's Interview

Christ, City fans have become so insecure!

I knew that had happened over the last decade and more due to the media and the Cartel (understandably so), but to the extent where people panic and start defending an interview? Come on!

There is no correlation at all between what people think of Khaldoon al Mubarak as a man and as our Chairman or as a entrepreneur across all his businesses; and what questions were asked by Chris Bailey and what answers Khaldoon gave in this interview or the previous ones in other years.

These interviews were quite good on the first couple of goes, but they’re the same every year. The questions feel safe and the answers are even safer. In reality they’re just fluff and are boring and we learn almost nothing from them. I spent half the interview wondering what the steam was in the background.

There’s nothing wrong with saying that, there’s nothing wrong with wanting a bit more substance from them.

Nobody is asking for UAE state secrets or what Point 12.4 in the players’ contracts is, and nobody is slagging off Khaldoon.
They are, and they're never going to change so there's no real point of anyone complaining about them. If the club have news to share it'll be done on an ad hoc basis, not rolled up into the CEO s end of season speech.

Best quote from a chairman:
"What does the chairman of a football club do?"
Yep, Swales.

During his conversation about the super league he says we got things wrong on this occasion but we will push boundaries & we will be disruptive. It can only be aimed at uefas greed and corruption.

I believe we never fully intended to join the super league but it was a clear messsge to uefa that their corruption is over
Cheers for that, appreciated.

I will ask you to show me where I stated that Khaldoon made those comments !!
They were mine you thick twunt, trying to get you to understand that we have better priorities than to upgrade our stadium.
Thick as fuck some people and yet you`re the one putting words into peoples mouths NOT me !!
Strange how I`ve had quite a few likes on my posts ref letting our Owner and Board determine where our priorities lie ... and you`ve had ... ??

You make inferences from what the Chairman is going to do and why he is going to do it based entirely on stuff rattling in your head. As you say he made no mention of our loss, you mentioned it, but you then proceeded to justify what he was going to do on the assumption that he did say it.

He did say....

"If there's any time to invest, it's right now"

He was referring to the event arena, he sees that as an investment because it is, the group will get a return and that's good business.

Improving areas of the stadium for regular fans he does not see as an investment, but as a cost. He knows, we all know, that regular fans will continue to turn up even if the concourse is tatty and the facilities run down. There does come a point where the general tattiness of the Etihad might begin to have an impact on revenue, but we are a long way off that. If we do ever reach that point he might well do something about it, but when he referred to the upgrades he was looking for over a "period to prioritise", he used the word "invest", which means, unless it was a slip, that he will prioritise these upgrades through the prism of looking for a return rather than just a cost.

Stadiums get run down because to rectify them has a negative impact on the bottom line. Corporate facilities, The Tunnel club and all the other luxury fan experiences are an investment, they make a positive impact. Khaldoon runs all his operations to make a profit. Oh he'll incur costs long term, like he has with City, to turn that profit, but all costs must lead to an eventual return. That is why he looked uncomfortable and evasive about improving the stadium generally, because if it makes no return, even in the long term, it's not something he's accustomed to, it lies outside the world of canny investment, it lies in the world of doing something because it's part of the subtle contract between owner and fans, a contract which he only appears to have became fully aware of when he fucked up over the ESL and there was the resultant fan backlash.

Khaldoon alluded in the interview about a "communication line with our fans" he mentioned our history and infrastructure, how he needs to explain better why they do things and why they don't, I got the impression he realises that in this recent City roller coaster ride this "Our City" slogan was more slogan than reality.

It's a culture shock for him, he doesn't understand British football culture and neither does Soriano if "All or Nothing" is to be believed.

We will see if he does anything different in the future. He is very good at what he does, we've all witnessed that these last few years, let's see if he can become good at those things he's not so good at.

The jury is out, it'll be difficult for him and that corporate puff piece is only mildly encouraging.

Last edited:
You make inferences from what the Chairman is going to do and why he is going to do it based entirely on stuff rattling in your head. As you say he made no mention of our loss, you mentioned it, but you then proceeded to justify what he was going to do on the assumption that he did say it.

He did say....

"If there's any time to invest, it's right now"

He was referring to the event arena, he sees that as an investment because it is, the group will get a return and that's good business.

Improving areas of the stadium for regular fans he does not see as an investment, but as a cost. He knows, we all know, that regular fans will continue to turn up even if the concourse is tatty and the facilities run down. There does come a point where the general tattiness of the Etihad might begin to have an impact on revenue, but we are a long way off that. If we do ever reach that point he might well do something about it, but when he referred to the upgrades he was looking for over a "period to priorities", he used the word "invest", which means, unless it was a slip, that he will priorities these upgrades through the prism of looking for a return rather than just a cost.

Stadiums get run down because to rectify them has a negative impact on the bottom line. Corporate facilities, The Tunnel club and all the other luxury fan experiences are an investment, they make a positive impact. Khaldoon runs all his operations to make a profit. Oh he'll incur costs long term, like he has with City, to turn that profit, but all costs must lead to an eventual return. That is why he looked uncomfortable and evasive about improving the stadium generally, because if it makes no return, even in the long term, its not something he's accustomed to, it lies outside the world of canny investment, it lies in the world of doing something because it's part of the subtle contract between owner and fans, a contract which he only appears to have became fully aware of when he fucked up over the ESL and there was the resultant fan backlash.

Khaldoon alluded in the interview about a "communication line with our fans" he mentioned our history and infrastructure, how he needs to explain better why they do things and why they don't, I got the impression he realises that in this recent City roller coaster ride this "Our City" slogan was more slogan than reality.

It's a culture shock for him, he doesn't understand British football culture and neither does Soriano if "All or Nothing" is to be believed.

We will see if he does anything different in the future. He is very good at what he does, we've all witnessed that these last few years, lets see if he can become good at those things he's not so good at.

The jury is out, it'll be difficult for him and that corporate puff piece is only mildly encouraging.
So in that case (based on your opening lines) why did you say I was putting words into peoples mouths when I said they were my words. Practice what you preach.
Its fair to say we`ll have to agree on the fact that we disagree.
However from my perspective its fair to say we have a wonderful Owner and Board and I wouldn`t change any of them.
They`ve all dropped bollocks and as Khaldoon stated they will continue to do so but they have and will get far more right than wrong.
The jury is still out ?? Don`t make me laugh.

So in that case (based on your opening lines) why did you say I was putting words into peoples mouths when I said they were my words. Practice what you preach.
Its fair to say we`ll have to agree on the fact that we disagree.
However from my perspective its fair to say we have a wonderful Owner and Board and I wouldn`t change any of them.
They`ve all dropped bollocks and as Khaldoon stated they will continue to do so but they have and will get far more right than wrong.
The jury is still out ?? Don`t make me laugh.
I wouldn’t swap our chairman for anyone. If you compare to how the swamp is run it’s chalk and cheese. Our club has grown massively over the last 10 years or so into one of the giant group of clubs in the world, with probably the best squad in the world, achieved without once breaking the transfer record.
Financially sound with our group of clubs from all around the world being successful in their leagues this

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.