Champions League Draw - 29th August '24 | Opponents (pg69) | Fixtures (pg128)

Gonna post something controversial..

We had a real chance and should be 4 in a row CL champions but blew 3 of our 4 chances since 2021 when we were clearly the better team vs Chelsea and 2 years vs RM.

We need to improve at cup knockout football.

We had a real chance and should be 4 in a row CL champions but blew 3 of our 4 chances since 2021 when we were clearly the better team vs Chelsea and 2 years vs RM.

Getting to those stages was some achievement but you have a point.

View attachment 120900
My understanding is that it is predetermined to the final from the group stage positioning, but I am still figuring out these rules so not confident to say you are definitely wrong at this stage.

This will make flights to away games more expensive as people will search for routes/airlines will be able to increase costs before we know for certain if we're getting through each round (and the opposition).

This is better! The last 8 draws have been skewed this last few years with one half containing the strongest sides. City v Madrid should have been the final for the last 3 years.

One of several horrible scenarios for City to draw:
Madrid
Liverpool
Leverkeusen
Arsenal
Feyenoord
Sporting
Villa
Gerona

I suspect there will be some "seeding" or "grouping" caveats for TV, so maybe you cannot draw 3 teams from the same league or is it just a plain old open draw?

Edit: read that the draw will be designed to not have teams from the same league playing one another but may be unavoidable for leagues with 4+ teams in it. So we may get one of Arse, Scouse, Villa.

Last edited:

Hard one to call really. The staggering success uner Pep in the league has probably impacted negatively on our performance in the CL and FA Cup which has been comparatively inferior.
In the early years we were outstanding in the LC so that kind of debunks your theory. Clearly the most recent disaster at Wembley was at least in part caused by the supreme effort in the last two months of the season to overcome the dippers and gunners.
The Madrid results really do my head in, particularly two years ago, a collapse not fully erased by the thrashing we gave them last season. Fine margins have fallen in our favour 3 or 4 times now in the final stages of the league and I would argue that maybe good fortune has not smiled upon us in the later stages of cups.

Hard one to call really. The staggering success uner Pep in the league has probably impacted negatively on our performance in the CL and FA Cup which has been comparatively inferior.
In the early years we were outstanding in the LC so that kind of debunks your theory. Clearly the most recent disaster at Wembley was at least in part caused by the supreme effort in the last two months of the season to overcome the dippers and gunners.
The Madrid results really do my head in, particularly two years ago, a collapse not fully erased by the thrashing we gave them last season. Fine margins have fallen in our favour 3 or 4 times now in the final stages of the league and I would argue that maybe good fortune has not smiled upon us in the later stages of cups.
It is a great and under rated achievement to have been in the latter stages of the CL so consistently. But I think it’s due to a variety of factors that we haven’t won more. The Chelsea game had clearly the wrong team picked and we just didn’t play well, The Real games a couple of years ago were a mixture of heartbreak and poor game management. The home leg we were 2 goals up 3 times yet ended up with just a slender lead. This season we played well at home and should have won but they defended well and got lucky on penalties. It does take a lot to align for a team to win it.

WTF? An article mentioning Pep winning it as a player, rags losing it at wembley and City being current champions.
Has Tom Morgan not had the media memo..?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.