Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

Exactly it was a miraculous season because Pep conceived a winning formula which was based on a system and individuals taking on specific roles eg gundogan further forward with either Fernandinho or Rodri behind.

But after 60 games of playing either Rodri or Fernandinho he ripped that winning formula up because he was scared of Chelsea. I love Pep but don’t underestimate just how colossal a fuck up he made last night.

Would Pep have dropped busquets for the champions league final and moved iniesta into holding midfield because he was scared of Carrick? I think we all know the answer to that.
Exactly

So many ifs, buts and unanswered questions is making this loss feel worse than it would otherwise be.

My number one feeling is why we yet again threw our tried and tested tactics out the window at the last hurdle with half the team out of their usual positions, it makes so little sense and we have seen before how poorly we play with square pegs in round holes, it doesnt matter if they are great players they still struggle out of their usual position.

I wish so much we had played the team that went on a record breaking unbeaten stretch earlier in the season conceding only a handful of goals. Tonight we looked like our poor form from last year, defence was unsettled, no midfield control and impotent in attack.

I hate the fact we didnt test them or give it a go, just went out with a whimper. 20min to go in the CL final and I dont think we even had a shot on target since the first half.

I can only praise chelsea for playing their game they have played since Tuchal arrived, yes it is a little boring but honestly on the night they had all the chances and never really looked like conceding, could easily have been 0-3 if they had a good striker. We made it far too easy for them.

Still a good season, just losing the last game of the season in such a manner puts a dampener on things. Still won the league and a cup!

Last edited:
Thought I'd feel better a good night's kip (which I didn't get). I don't, I feel worse,much worse. In the aftermath of the game last night, I just felt numb. But right now, I'm devastated, and angry. And in a rotten mood. I wouldn't be nice to be around today. We threw it away. We're a better team than Chelsea; the league table doesn't lie. But they totally owned us last night. Why, Pep? Why did you do it? As the old saying goes; if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Barring the odd hiccup (with mainly weakened teams), we flew through the last 60% of the season. And he goes and changes it for the biggest game of the season. I love the guy, he's the best manager in the world, and we're blessed to have him. But nonsense like last night doesn't half grate on me. And where he got the "we were brilliant in the second half" from escapes me. We huffed and puffed, without ever looking like we were going to score. Chelsea could (should?) have won by 3 or 4, if we're being honest.
But it was broken! This team lost to Chelsea twice playing the way we usually do. By the same token, doing what you’ve always done and expecting a different outcome is the definition of madness!

When Sergio missed the panenka, he apologised - although he didn't really need to.
If Pep, could actually say - he messed up, it would make it easier to swallow, rather than him ignoring it - makes it less likely that he will learn from a mistake. Also, where was the advice from all the assistant coaches - to say to him - Pep, don't mess with a winning combination. It wasn't just one person that was affected ie Sterling in and Fern out ... it also put everyone in the team out of kilter.
Making that bizarre change also seems to show a lack of trust in the players to deliver.
Pep said we were exceptional last night now that is taking the piss I'd rather him hold his hands up and say he got it wrong

In future, I think that the City directors, the night before a big game, should lock Pep up in a padded room releasing him only after a sensible team selection has done the business!

Hey there guys, I haven't checked in on you in a long while - maybe because this season has been quite bleak for us.

First of all congrats on your PL title, it all builds to the glory of the club and it's not something that can ever get erased by any following defeat.
And then, welcome to the familiar (for me) pain of losing a CL final lol. In the last decade us Juve fans almost became sick of it and of the final itself, but I think the latest few miserable stints reminded us how valuable it actually is to show that you're of 1 of the 2 strongest clubs in Europe.

I remember all the jeers we always got from other Serie A clubs after yet another final lost; I remember how we always tried to make them see that if we had lost a final it was just because, unlike them, we had reached it.

Does it hurt? Yes, it does. Have you got the CL winner's trophy? No, you haven't. But you have something, even if most people can't and won't see it: you can get angry for having fought and lost the highest-level battle in the footballing world.

I won't go into the details of the game because in the end yes it's usually the team that plays better that wins the final, but on the other hand there's also a lot of chance involved. Just wanted to cheer you up a bit for having reached the rooftop of Europe.
It does not take away the pain. We are the better team and league position shows it. Juve were beaten on every occasion by the better opposition in finals so not identical comparative positions. City fcuk it. Cannot guarantee Another final anytime soon. Look at so many other teams. U get there you need to win if ur the better team!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.