Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

Pep obviously picked the team he thought had the best chance to win, he also came up with a game plan to achieve that. It must have become evident fairly early on that Chelsea were having the best of it. With all of Pep's understanding of the game and his tactical nous, why did he not change things much earlier, say after 30 minutes?
Because his ego would not allow him to admit he'd ballsed it up..

This is so right and wrong. It is a psychological test of manager, player, team and club. Pep has been there and won it (and taken us to 3 of the last 4 league titles) and he constantly talks about how the club need to understand what they are going for and to have the belief they can do it. Last night was another lesson and we are not alone, there was some stat on first time finalist losing the last 7 times or something. Pep picked a team well capable of winning that game but the team failed him and us, if they can’t win because so and so isn’t playing then that isn’t a great look.
you think Pep got it right?. To start a game with no centre forward when we have 2 fit is criminal. Why are we being linked with Kane and Haaland ?. On last nights evidence they would of been sat on the bench.

i don't believe all the hype and this is pep fault ? we lose games and cup finals or big games (not many) but always come back stronger and better. we win silverware and titles because of pep. some fans are fickle and seen nothing but glory. they don't understand football is not only about winners but its about your club win lose or draw

we have lost loads of fans along the way ? myself lost 2 match going blues from the 1980s 1990s 2000s
all before 2008 and they seen nothing but the dark days ? i wish i could got back and see them again and say to them we are all moaning like fuck in 2021 because we lost a champions league final hahaha

look everybody has a right to voice or write their views on here. but please can we respect manchester city players manager club and not jump all over them because of a game of football. we have won silverware and title this season and maybe it was a step to far this time
Pep picked the team
The starting xi he picked last night had bizarrely never started a game together.
Sorry last nights on him and his fault, one mighty big clanger of a selection.
That said he's still the best but that doesn't immune him from criticism.

Maybe misinterpreted my post, it does not matter now we won two trophies, the last memory of this season is an embarrassing, insipid showing in the biggest game in the club's history.

Players have already spoken of how they felt after the Lyon defeat last year and how much he mentally impacted their summer.

Especially so, when a lot of the players last time were pissed with Pep for his formation against Lyon.

We went on to that pitch last night already beaten, you could maybe even see it in Pep's pre-match interview in comparison to Tuchel's.

The respective players saw that team sheet and, in that moment, we had players who didn't quite believe we could now be favourites, just as fans, ourselves, felt the omission not just of any defensive midfielder, but a squad leader in Fernandinho, had fucked us over.

Nerves can be legislated for, but too many of our players looked petrified in that first half and, in the second, were guilty of trying to do things as individuals, rather than a team, merely out of desperation.

We had no period of domination, just areas Chelsea were happy to let us play in.

With regards new signings, they are coming regardless, it was more a nod to those comments who only think we need a big name striker like Kane or Haaland (who would certainly have given us a plan B last night)

There are three of four areas that need properly addressing and my biggest point being, it needs to be players who are hungry to win.

Chelsea had that last night, they paid £220m out last summer on young players with no real trophy background and it showed.

We have a few players now who I suspect are sated by what they have already won and that can make a huge difference.

Kompany, Yaya, Silva, Fern, Aguero - we have lost leaders.

What we need now are players such as Kane, Haaland and Grealish.

People who will push the team to greater heights.

I don't think last night was the end, but it was certainly the end of the beginning.

And that takes money and players with their own personal drive.

I heard about what Pep was going to do during the week and there was no sense given that the players were concerned about Pep's approach.

I think the biggest factor is the occasion got to them when they entered the pitch for the game.

Mate, it was a final. We had a week off & a fully fit squad to choose from. What rotation?

You play your strongest team & respect the opposition. We didn't & were soundly beaten. The fault of this defeat lies with Guardiola. It's really as simple as that.
Well, you have to say what you think your strongest team is because the striking fact is that Pep has rotated his squad regularly as a result of form, injury, illness and to balance minutes. I assume that by "strongest team" you mean the eleven who started the QF and SF, in which case Rodri started 3 of them, whereas most people wanted to go with Ferna. Ferna came on after 64 minutes and the same substitutes were used in the final as in the earlier knock out rounds. Apart from that Cancelo started 2 of the knock out rounds in Zinchenko's place but Zinchenko's selection does not seem controversial. So the element of rotation does seem to have been minimal, and the factis that the "strongest team" had ONLY started the QF and SF so we cannot take it for granted that it would start again a monthe later, though the evidence is that Pep was loyal to those players. The theory is that he blundered by not playing Ferna, who would have prevented the Chelsea goal. This might have been the case ... but equally it might not. I would point out that Ferna was unable to prevent a golden chance falling to Pulisic to put the game beyond our reach. And for the goal itself it is hard to say that only Ferna was needed to prevent it: no-one was within a mile of Mount, our CBs had gone AWOL and Zinchenko waved Havertz goodbye as he chased a ball played into the space behind our backline. The goal was a team disaster, not down to the absence of one man.

Comical defending? Behave!

The ones at fault for that goal were the 2 CDs. Both run out to the right whilst Walker was there. Then to top it off Dias doesn’t know whats happening around him, school boy stuff he drops off deep from Werner and has his back to Havertz leaving a massive hole to run into, whilst playing Havertz onside.
The whole team didn’t turn up last night, not just for the goal but all game!

My nearly 5yr old granddaughter came up to me today and said " I'm really sad because I wanted to go the parade with you but City lost and there isn't one".....got a photo of her at the last one having a great time.

Felt happy and sad at the same time! Would have been a lovely day for it.

Comical defending? Behave!

The ones at fault for that goal were the 2 CDs. Both run out to the right whilst Walker was there. Then to top it off Dias doesn’t know whats happening around him, school boy stuff he drops off deep from Werner and has his back to Havertz leaving a massive hole to run into, whilst playing Havertz onside.
The whole team didn’t turn up last night, not just for the goal but all game!
Totally agree the CBs disappeared for the goal Stones got caught trying to pinch more than once. That’s again due to no shield in front though. Pep has been very blessed with the teams and resources at the clubs he’s managed last night he cost us big time

Those people that you are wanting to get rid off have done the hard miles! They’ve been there when City were down the divisions, when City were playing rubbish. They were there through all the rough times. They deserved to be there last night and deserve to go to all the away matches they want/ are entitled to!
I would have been there last night if my doctor had allowed it. I’ve had messages from people who were there saying others whom I’ve met over the years were asking where I was. So please don’t be writing us oldies off. I’ve been at away matches where a lot of the youngsters were so out of it that they didn’t do any singing or shouting just flopping about. But I’ve never said they don’t deserve to be there. So just live and let live. Some older folk don’t make a noise, some younger folk don’t make a noise. Swings and roundabouts mate, swings and roundabouts. Don’t write us all off please. We’ll be gone soon enough!
Personally I’m louder now than I was in my 20s because I’m not as self conscious and have more confidence! Just an observation.
You're absolutely right Eccles blue. Up where I reside in Colin Bell 3 there is only myself, brother and the chap we sit next to who make a noise. There are a variety of age ranges, some older than us, some younger but it is only us three who shout and sing. My brother and I have actually become good friends with our neighbour because of it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.