Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

Always against this team with this manager going to be a case of if they get that lucky goal on the break they will win.
There was nothing "lucky" about their goal, they'd had 3 similar chances before it. It was rank bad defending, started with Walker, involved both CB's (or more to the point didn't involve either), and ended with Zinchenko (not blaming him, he was trying to cover, but had no chance), and if Havertz had not scored, we'd have been down a man, with a sub goalkeeper to boot.

That's not bad luck, it's bad play, simple as that, and it stemmed from not having a tackler (fouler) in midfield for me.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and maybe "tinker" is a word a tad overused. That said, his picking of the team "to win a game" left a lot to be desired. We'll never know though!
What we have to believe is that he didn’t pick a team to lose. Beyond that it is him and his team trying to work out how we win. Doesnt always work but is a damn sight more successful than any other manager. We will win the CL as despicable a competition as it is.

A bit overdramatic I have to say although as a fan that prefers the league to CL, I could never understand the hold of that overhyped competition. Only a few weeks ago it was almost deem irrelevant had City not lead in pulling out of the ESL. It is a nice competition to win but it shouldn't be put up in a pedestal especially compared to the PL. Now that they've got the final experience, I'm expecting a better and more professional performance the next time they show up there. And please no more cringy and over the top promotions next time.
The leadership of our club see us as a Champions League outfit - it's now in the club's DNA. SM is here to win the Champions League. Many of our fans don't share that vision.

There was nothing "lucky" about their goal, they'd had 3 similar chances before it. It was rank bad defending, started with Walker, involved both CB's (or more to the point didn't involve either), and ended with Zinchenko (not blaming him, he was trying to cover, but had no chance), and if Havertz had not scored, we'd have been down a man, with a sub goalkeeper to boot.

That's not bad luck, it's bad play, simple as that, and it stemmed from not having a tackler (fouler) in midfield for me.
Fair enough, appreciate someone explaining it to me better than I saw it then as I can only go from what I saw as a fan without the tactical knowledge. What I id notice before the game was that they go to cross it across in the box but pull it back and although we didn't get caught out this time it's something they tried and were unlucky not to get away with. Can't understand why no one involved with us didn't see that.

Zinchencko is only at left back because he's played better than he is. No offence to the lad but he's not CL final quality.

No I don’t think he got it right but there is a lot of stuff that happens between him naming a team and that team losing a game of football. Some it it is down to him some down to the players. Turn it round, he drops Sterling and plays Rodri or Fern and we lose, where’s the blame when players like Mahrez,Foden and De Bruyne just don’t do the things they normally do? Those three players and Bernardo just didn’t turn up last night and that had fuck all to do with Sterling playing, if it did then we are in a far worse situation than even the worst doom mongers suggest
Mahrez is Mahrez, forever cutting back inside and never getting to the by line for our trademark cutback goal. Sterling has had a stinker of a season, Walker causes more trouble to defenders than Mahrez. KDB moved forward with menace only to have to turn around and pass the ball back because their was little ahead of him. Foden the same little space to operate in and no forwards making runs because they were sat on the bench. I can't fathom how people don't understand that playing without recognised forwards (Aguero or Jesus) is a massive hindrance and just because it payed off when we had injuries to our forwards doesn't make it right. Several occasions during that match Chelsea passed to their own goalie on his goal line and he waited for City challenge then passed to a defender, the ball was then lumped over the top and they were on a break. That closing down would of been natural to a forward and the midfield would not of been dragged into the box.

Think some are focussing too much on the line up tbh, the issue was more how we pressed at the front rather than who we played at the base of midfield. The latter still contributed, but the bigger issue was us pressing their cbs too much and giving them an out ball to their full backs rather than into midfield.

Annoying he didn’t change it sooner though.

My final thoughts. Ultimately, in the biggest final in the clubs history, against a team that finished far behind us in the league, we didn’t pick our strongest starting XI when all the squad was available. I also think almost all the players, to a greater or lesser extent, froze. From top to bottom one of the worst performances in years in what was such an important game. So hugely disappointing.

The competition, like all knockout tournaments, has an element of unpredictability about it. I can’t see us having a better chance to win it. Yes, we may get others, but this was their for the taking and we blew it.

In years gone by I’ve not been as bothered, as I didn’t think we had a chance of winning it. This year though was different. I’d rather we’d have got knocked earlier than played so dreadfully.

The thing that really fucks me off though, is that our record goal scorer, talisman and still the best striker at the club by a mile not only didn’t start, but was only used at the death. I find that appalling.

Pep is a genius, but he’s flawed. Until he delivers the CL, his achievements will never better Mancini’s.

Mahrez is Mahrez, forever cutting back inside and never getting to the by line for our trademark cutback goal. Sterling has had a stinker of a season, Walker causes more trouble to defenders than Mahrez. KDB moved forward with menace only to have to turn around and pass the ball back because their was little ahead of him. Foden the same little space to operate in and no forwards making runs because they were sat on the bench. I can't fathom how people don't understand that playing without recognised forwards (Aguero or Jesus) is a massive hindrance and just because it payed off when we had injuries to our forwards doesn't make it right. Several occasions during that match Chelsea passed to their own goalie on his goal line and he waited for City challenge then passed to a defender, the ball was then lumped over the top and they were on a break. That closing down would of been natural to a forward and the midfield would not of been dragged into the box.
It won us the league. We didn’t plan it probably didn’t want it but you cannot deny we won the league with deficiencies you detail.

Which side weren't you going to rotate from?
The best team, which it clearly wasn't. Two form players were played a lot deeper than they have played well most of the season, as well as the obvious omission and inclusion.

It seemed like he wanted to pick his favourites despite being imbalance and disjointed. Sterling played his way out of the team during the Everton game

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.