Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

For what’s its worth and reading these forums last week I believe everyone was too cocky and over confident. Saying the last two Chelsea wins were meaningless and with the top dogs playing for city you would be 3-0 up after 15 mins. This game was a one off and anything can happen which proved to be . Chelsea did a masterclass on City and played to their strengths and actually could have been 3-0 Up themselves in the first half. Chelsea also appeared to play as a team whereas city was 11 individuals thinking they are better then they actually are.
On the KBD challenge never a red card and I think it was a blessing in disguise that he went off as he lost possession 12 times up to that point. I just think Chelsea were up for it more and when that sacked frank halfway through the season and then changed their kit for the final as they did the season they beat Bayern who I might add are better then city the writing was on the wall. What’s interesting is all the pundits saying an easy win are in hiding somewhere. The darker shade of blue wins the day

We need to develop 3 at the back to match up to the likes of Chelsea @ Leicester next season, we must be more flexible, we were exposed by their attacking wing backs, I'd love to see Tierney or Nuno Mendes added, Cancelo on the R/H side and Laporte replaced with the likes of Bastoni or another top quality left sided CB (if Laporte wants out). Only when we face quality 3 at the back teams.

Oh! and play a DM

We need to develop 3 at the back to match up to the likes of Chelsea @ Leicester next season, we must be more flexible, we were exposed by their attacking wing backs, I'd love to see Tierney or Nuno Mendes added, Cancelo on the R/H side and Laporte replaced with the likes of Bastoni or another top quality left sided CB (if Laporte wants out). Only when we face quality 3 at the back teams.

Oh! and play a DM
Iv often thought about us raiding Arsenal for Tierney.
Us sending Sterling the other way and also receiving some cash

Oh! and play a DM

We always try and win the ball back from the front, why would we want to match up our defence (or play a dm?) We just need to make sure we get our pressing right to cover the initial out ball.

Zinchencko is only at left back because he's played better than he is. No offence to the lad but he's not CL final quality.
Zinchenko plays there not because he's our best LB really, but because he can play into central midfield the way Pep wants, and he's been very good at it, but previoously we've almost always had a DM who can drop to make a back 3 if one of the FB's are further forward, this was a flaw yesterday because we played without one, so the CB's had no cover, and got pulled out of position too often in that first half.

I suppose it will be fourth time lucky.

I disagree that he needed to make any changes for this Chelsea game. No guarantee we would have won but we would have a least tried to have stopped Chelsea sauntering through midfield at will.

You are entitled to disagree but having lost twice to Chelsea recently, Pep's assessment, which will have gone far deeper than mine or yours, was that he needed to do something different. I think he was correct but his natural way of playing led him to try and go more offensive. I think he needed to be more defensive; however, our biggest problem against Chelsea has been breaking them down and scoring so I see his point of view.

I just think the time has come for him to go into some games and deliberately park the bus and try to make teams come out and leave us space to attack. Most of the time, our usual M.O. is fine but occasionally going against type at times would make us even more successful.

That approach would certainly have stopped Chelsea sauntering through our midfield.

Every season, an awful lot of people (mainly the press) pile loads of pressure on Pep to win the Champions League.

"It's the one the owners want / demand"
"It's why he was brought to the club in the first place"
"If he doesn't win it, this season will be classed as a failure"
etc

I know managers are used to pressure, but the pressure on Pep when it comes to the CL really isn't helping him ?
He was neither happy nor relaxed even before the game.

Ironically, we'd have a much better chance of winning it, if it didn't seem to matter so much.

Every season, an awful lot of people (mainly the press) pile loads of pressure on Pep to win the Champions League.

"It's the one the owners want / demand"
"It's why he was brought to the club in the first place"
"If he doesn't win it, this season will be classed as a failure"
etc

I know managers are used to pressure, but the pressure on Pep when it comes to the CL really isn't helping him ?

Ironically, we'd have a much better chance of winning it, if it didn't seem to matter so much.
It doesn't.
The Premier league is the most important every season.
Pep always says that

Strange, I felt the absolute opposite, he seemed very happy, and if anything overly chilled about it all, I think he just assumed we'd win.

I've said this to a few today, but a final is FINAL, you either win or lose, I don't think only Pep thought we'd win, but a number of players did too, and there were a few that just didn't turn up.

Chelsea were the underdogs, and they played like it, a bit like Cheltenham did, not waiting to be beaten eventually, and not giving anything up easily, they put their bodies on the line for the cause, I didn't see anyone do that for us, until Jesus and Fernandhino came on (too late).

You are entitled to disagree but having lost twice to Chelsea recently, Pep's assessment, which will have gone far deeper than mine or yours, was that he needed to do something different. I think he was correct but his natural way of playing led him to try and go more offensive. I think he needed to be more defensive; however, our biggest problem against Chelsea has been breaking them down and scoring so I see his point of view.

I just think the time has come for him to go into some games and deliberately park the bus and try to make teams come out and leave us space to attack. Most of the time, our usual M.O. is fine but occasionally going against type at times would make us even more successful.

That approach would certainly have stopped Chelsea sauntering through our midfield.

On your first point I think what he needed to do differently was play our best players which hadn't done the previous two attempts.

On the second point I fully agree.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.