Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

Do you think he meant to screw it up? Do you think that the other titles were just lucky or he made the necessary decisions to ensure we won them ? Pep chose a team to win the game and whether 100% of people on a forum thought he was wrong it doesn’t matter. He’s the manager he makes the decisions and we win more than we lose.

Why is it so difficult to accept that he screwed up?

Pep is our strongest asset but also our weakest. If pep had plotted the correct course for the final we would be champions. He did not and the players failed. He has improved each player with his technical knowledge but when he gets it wrong the player fails. So the question we need to ask is just how good or bad are the players? No blueprint no idea.

Pep installs a collective team effort but it was obvious after the first 10 in the final that we needed a star player to shine. Kev is the closest we have followed up by Foden. Individual moments of brilliance was absent.

On reflection, this season is all on Pep, the good and the bad. He needs help going forward with at least 2 new match winners.

Where did the ‘world’ class players go? why did the Chelsea players act with more aggression? Why did they seem to want it more? Don’t get blindsided by making pep the sole problem.

The players to a man bar walker did not want to win more than the Chelsea players. The occasion got to them imo.

We really lacked a proper striker last night on the pitch
Foden or de Bruyne up against three centre halves with their back to goal never got us a sniff of a goal

yes pep messed up but maybe it just wasn’t doable winning the CL with a team of midfielders

Annoying he didn’t change it sooner though.
My thoughts overnight.
He had the whole of the first half to see his plan wasn't working. So at halftime he had the opportunity to go to another plan - he had FIVE substitute options so he could have made two for the start of the second half. Chasing a goal should have been the right time to introduce Jesus / Aguero and a DM to allow Gundogan to play further forward. A striker would have allowed KDB to move back somewhat so he could influence play.
But then I am just a very disappointed fan.

To many city players and fans thought it was going to be a walk in the park. Three up after 15 mins !!!! Read the pre match thread. Chelsea played as a team and kept to the script. City were 11 individuals and only read the back of the book ! Karma

My thoughts overnight.
He had the whole of the first half to see his plan wasn't working. So at halftime he had the opportunity to go to another plan - he had FIVE substitute options so he could have made two for the start of the second half. Chasing a goal should have been the right time to introduce Jesus / Aguero and a DM to allow Gundogan to play further forward. A striker would have allowed KDB to move back somewhat so he could influence play.
But then I am just a very disappointed fan.
Kante couldn't believe his luck, all he had to do was focus on cutting out KDB with Gundo playing so far back.

One thing I'll point out is that Chelsea's goal was very well worked, they set it up a few minutes before and was clearly a plan. Think it was Mount trying to play Chilwell through with a back heel, they came down the same side again and our defence moved to the right to cut out the threat of Chilwell leaving that gaping, Fernandinho sized hole, for Havertz to run into.

Like many on here, Pep is either obsessed with Sterling or has no choice in playing him due to contracts and the obscene amount of money he is taking out of the club every week. The sooner we off load him and then reinvest in a proven striker the better. Either way the CL Final was lost the minute Sterling was included, not just because of his selection but the impact elsewhere I.e. no Midfield Fern “sacrificed” which in itself is unforgivable, and our ace card having to accommodate sterling, I.e. Phil being told to adapt to a non effective role………

I can't help but think the occasion or the moment got to Pep & the players. A lot of our players looked daunted by the occasion, and weren't anywhere near it. It didn't help that Pep named a line up that took away Fernandinho or Rodri who are vital to the link up play for us, but a lot of our players looked overwhelmed by it all. Chelsea settled quicker then we did, and we were fortunate not to be 2/3 down at half time.

The moves to introduce Fernandinho, Kun & Gabby came to late, Chelsea had what they wanted by then, which was a lead to sit on and counter, and that played into their hands. Foden not being on the left, and Mahrez being cut out of the game, killed us, and Kante dominated the midfield.

Going forward Pep needs to find a way to break down a back 5, Chelsea & others have had success against us playing that way, hopefully we have a good transfer window and this loss drives Pep and the players on to go one better next season.

I'm still absolutely gutted today like thousands of others, and just can't help but think we wasted our chance to crack the Champions League and win the bloody thing.

Kante couldn't believe his luck, all he had to do was focus on cutting out KDB with Gundo playing so far back.

One thing I'll point out is that Chelsea's goal was very well worked, they set it up a few minutes before and was clearly a plan. Think it was Mount trying to play Chilwell through with a back heel, they came down the same side again and our defence moved to the right to cut out the threat of Chilwell leaving that gaping, Fernandinho sized hole, for Havertz to run into.

It wasn’t the Fernandinho sized hole that was the main issue, it was the free ball to Chilwell. They’d done it three times already before the goal came. We should have had Sterling and Mahrez pressing James and Chilwell and left their CBs to it. I get why Pep tried it, it just didn’t come off and had a lot of knock on consequences that weren’t worth it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.