Champions League Games 12/13 April '22

Agreed. The fans who denigrate this competition do so because we're yet to win it, it's just a defence mechanism. When people think of Pep's Barca what are the foremost matches they think of? Yep, the CL final wins. When people think of the irresistible Milan team of the early 2000's, of Kaka, Gattuso et al, what trophy is the first that comes to mind? The Bayern teams throughout the years? This trophy defines elite teams. I want Kev to win the Balon d'Or, I believe on current form he is the best in the world and I want him to recieve that recognition. But he isn't getting that accolade unless we win the CL.

If you can't see that winning this is vital for our progression then you're stuck in the past. It's the only thing left that holds us back.
Great post. I would add to that on the flip side just because you have won it (Liverpool, Chelsea etc) does not define you as a great team, in those cases you were a good team who won a good cup competition. It is only when one of those sides that you mentioned win it does it define them as an elite side.

I am afraid that another 'European elite' club has got away with one. Chelsea did everything to qualify and were much the better team, last night. Real scored a worldy, and that can happen, but why Alonso's goal was chalked off was one of those uniquely 'Champion's League' moments that seem to happen too often in favour of Madrid, Bayern, Barcelona, et al, and it is one of the reasons, other than 40+ years without one, why I will probably always value winning the league more than the CL.
His goal was chalked off after Uefa changed the rule that any handball by the attacker, whether accidental or not, will result in the goal being disallowed. Everyone knows the people change and every City fan certainly should, it was brought in after Spurs were wrongly awarded a handball goal against City. Hence the change and clarification.

I am afraid that another 'European elite' club has got away with one. Chelsea did everything to qualify and were much the better team, last night. Real scored a worldy, and that can happen, but why Alonso's goal was chalked off was one of those uniquely 'Champion's League' moments that seem to happen too often in favour of Madrid, Bayern, Barcelona, et al, and it is one of the reasons, other than 40+ years without one, why I will probably always value winning the league more than the CL.
But it is literally in the rules of the game.

His goal was chalked off after Uefa changed the rule that any handball by the attacker, whether accidental or not, will result in the goal being disallowed. Everyone knows the people change and every City fan certainly should, it was brought in after Spurs were wrongly awarded a handball goal against City. Hence the change and clarification.
Had we lost to that I would be livid.

You haven't answered why it should be only the champions though.

Why would anyone give a shit about seeing Bayern beat Ħamrun of Malta 14-0 on aggregate?
Nothing wrong with the present format, just change the bloody name back to the “European Cup”. As it stands by the time the group stages begin a high proportion of the 32 teams are not their league’s champions.

The proposed new version will have 2 teams picked by committee for their historical value. How they select those two will cause an absolute shit storm. Take a look at past winners who no longer stand a chance of qualifying and you will see what I mean.

The thing is a cash cow, it has nothing to do with being Europe’s elite playing each other.

Give me our own domestic league any time over this abortion.

Nothing wrong with the present format, just change the bloody name back to the “European Cup”. As it stands by the time the group stages begin a high proportion of the 32 teams are not their league’s champions.

The proposed new version will have 2 teams picked by committee for their historical value. How they select those two will cause an absolute shit storm. Take a look at past winners who no longer stand a chance of qualifying and you will see what I mean.

The thing is a cash cow, it has nothing to do with being Europe’s elite playing each other.

Give me our own domestic league any time over this abortion.
I hope Forest and Malmo are included!!

Playing the tramps again in the final.

That definitely would not have been my choice.
It definitely wouldn't be their preferred choice either, Make no mistake about it they'll be gutted if we go through tonight. They always let on as if they don't care, They do! They know we are their only real threat of putting a spanner in the works in all trophies now.

The pathetic changes they are making to the format next year make me want to win it this year, as I don't give a fuck about winning some Frankenstein competition which they are turning into next year. 2 teams on historical merit what a load of utter shite.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.