Champions League Games 12/13 April '22

Nothing wrong with the present format, just change the bloody name back to the “European Cup”. As it stands by the time the group stages begin a high proportion of the 32 teams are not their league’s champions.

The proposed new version will have 2 teams picked by committee for their historical value. How they select those two will cause an absolute shit storm. Take a look at past winners who no longer stand a chance of qualifying and you will see what I mean.

The thing is a cash cow, it has nothing to do with being Europe’s elite playing each other.

Give me our own domestic league any time over this abortion.
Quite.

It's not a competition for Champions, and it does not follow a league format.

What it is, as you have quite rightly stated, is the European Cup.

A cash cow, with a format to maximise the number of matches, and just like the play off system in the lower three divisions, it gives the premier league's lesser sides something to play for in a league they know they can't win.

With regard to if we make the final and meet the dippers, it is of course the classic worst case/best case. They are the team we would all choose to beat in the final, and the team none of us would choose to lose to in the final.

Nothing wrong with the present format, just change the bloody name back to the “European Cup”. As it stands by the time the group stages begin a high proportion of the 32 teams are not their league’s champions.

The proposed new version will have 2 teams picked by committee for their historical value. How they select those two will cause an absolute shit storm. Take a look at past winners who no longer stand a chance of qualifying and you will see what I mean.

The thing is a cash cow, it has nothing to do with being Europe’s elite playing each other.

Give me our own domestic league any time over this abortion.
That’s not true though is it. It’s the highest two based on a 5 year coefficient (that can be viewed at any time by anyone) that didn’t qualify. It’s not a random committee. And CL wins from 10 years ago don’t count.

I hope Forest and Malmo are included!!
Come on. There is no merit at all in Forest winning back to back European Cups;)

Clubs outside the top 4 qualifying, coefficients, historical merit might not be enough. So they still have more plans for Famous Failures to get in - wild cards, auctions, highest bidder, Siz Pap Brick.

If we play pool in the final that will be best for us. Familiarity of opponent and we are clearly the better team and they don't have a clue on how to sit back. best opponent we can have for the final

You haven't answered why it should be only the champions though.

Why would anyone give a shit about seeing Bayern beat Ħamrun of Malta 14-0 on aggregate?
Same reason we beat Shalke 10-2 on aggregate a few years ago?

If we play pool in the final that will be best for us. Familiarity of opponent and we are clearly the better team and they don't have a clue on how to sit back. best opponent we can have for the final
Not best for the bloody nerves!

That’s not true though is it. It’s the highest two based on a 5 year coefficient (that can be viewed at any time by anyone) that didn’t qualify. It’s not a random committee. And CL wins from 10 years ago don’t count.
I was not aware that was the case, thank you for enlightening me. I will be checking when next years CL teams are announced who those two teams would have been.

Quite.

It's not a competition for Champions, and it does not follow a league format.

What it is, as you have quite rightly stated, is the European Cup.

A cash cow, with a format to maximise the number of matches, and just like the play off system in the lower three divisions, it gives the premier league's lesser sides something to play for in a league they know they can't win.

With regard to if we make the final and meet the dippers, it is of course the classic worst case/best case. They are the team we would all choose to beat in the final, and the team none of us would choose to lose to in the final.
I have just checked my spread sheet for this years competion and the 32 teams who make the group stages were split as follows:
  • 15 - Champions
  • 7 - Runners Up
  • 5 - 3rd place finishers
  • 4 - 4th place finishers
  • 1 - Europa League winner
By my reckoning the competition this year should be renamed to the "46.875% Champions League".

I could live with that title, it would give us all some amusement.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.