Champions League Matches | Semi-Finals | 30 April, 1/7/8 May '24

La Liga has had 3 different winners in the last 3 seasons before this season.

This season will only be Real Madrid's third league title since 2017. So for people to suggest they're not in title challenges or don't have to worry about the league is silly.
They are certainly in title challenges most seasons, The problem for English sides in Europe is the fixture lists because of the TV money.

In La Liga the teams in Europe get given certain weeks off and La Liga take one or two breaks throughout the season even when there's no international football so it helps them do well in Europe.

Something which the Premier League really needs to look at.

It was offside anyway, the defenders hand can't play him onside.

Of course the officials should let it go and review it, and I'm sure they would have at the other end under the same circumstances, that's the fair point they're making.

Either way, he was offside. Those that dislike VAR should be happy that the assistant got it bang on.

They are certainly in title challenges most seasons, The problem for English sides in Europe is the fixture lists because of the TV money.

In La Liga the teams in Europe get given certain weeks off and La Liga take one or two breaks throughout the season even when there's no international football so it helps them do well in Europe.

Premier league don’t give a shit about the CL, two different entities, why would they ruin their product to benefit another? La Liga need the champions league because their league is quite frankly boring as fuck, very rarely will you see what’s happening in ours nearly every year going to the wire, extra games next year plus two other competitions that are very competitive, I’d love to see how Madrid cope with that over here.

I agree.

Isn't it the Copa Del Rey final that often falls right before or in between the Champions League quarters? all teams in La Liga get that weekend off, except those in the final. Little things like that help for sure.

Why would the PL care though?

It was offside anyway, the defenders hand can't play him onside.

Of course the officials should let it go and review it, and I'm sure they would have at the other end under the same circumstances, that's the fair point they're making.

Either way, he was offside. Those that dislike VAR should be happy that the assistant got it bang on.
I think the second Madrid goal should’ve been offside, the scorer was in an offside position when the ball was crossed to the other side, so he gained and advantage on the defender as the ball passed over, I’ve never liked this is not called out, effectively a player could stand on the 18 yard line all match as long as you don’t pass to him the ball could go down the other side and then once passed him he’s onside! Stupid rule.

I think the second Madrid goal should’ve been offside, the scorer was in an offside position when the ball was crossed to the other side, so he gained and advantage on the defender as the ball passed over, I’ve never liked this is not called out, effectively a player could stand on the 18 yard line all match as long as you don’t pass to him the ball could go down the other side and then once passed him he’s onside! Stupid rule.

Totally agree

There's no way to look at it and say he hasn't gained an advantage when he's ended up in a goal scoring position from an offside position. Its not like he was miles away from the action is it? He was in the thick of it.

The whole rule is getting daft. You've either gained an advantage or you haven't but it seems its open to interpretation.

Totally agree

There's no way to look at it and say he hasn't gained an advantage when he's ended up in a goal scoring position from an offside position. Its not like he was miles away from the action is it? He was in the thick of it.

The whole rule is getting daft. You've either gained an advantage or you haven't but it seems its open to interpretation.
Here in lies the issue with the officiating last night (well, one of the issues, anyway): regardless of whether you agree with the “inactive offside” rules, they should be applied consistently.

But they weren’t last night. Only De Ligt was offside in the build up to Bayern’s potential equaliser, and “did not impact play” in the same way Joselu “did not impact play” for Real Madrid’s second. Both passages saw the linesmen raise his flag well before the shot was taken, but one was allowed to progress and have VAR review, the other was not. One lead to a goal, the other was called dead before a goal was scored.

So, the play for Bayern’s late chance should have been allowed to progress and VAR should have upheld it as a goal, as it did for Real Madrid’s eventual winner.

The application and interpretation of the rules within the actual game were not consistent, and it had a significant impact on the outcome of the match.

Premier league don’t give a shit about the CL, two different entities, why would they ruin their product to benefit another? La Liga need the champions league because their league is quite frankly boring as fuck, very rarely will you see what’s happening in ours nearly every year going to the wire, extra games next year plus two other competitions that are very competitive, I’d love to see how Madrid cope with that over here.
100% agree.

Clear as day the Premier League couldn't give a fuck, They don't care about their own supporters never mind the Champions League.

It's much more difficult for English teams to be successful in Europe than it is any other league as you said "The likes of La Liga need Champions League" and the Premier League don't. Unfortunately that won't change, When Pep or Klopp which seems to be the only two who really bring it up about too many fixtures, The media and pundits shoot them down and basically told to get on with it.

And no Madrid wouldn't cope with the demands that we have, They have it alot easier than English sides that's including the teams they play in their league also.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.