Championship footballer thought to be gay deletes his twitter account

You only have to look at any twitter post by the club supporting anything LGBT to see that it's still a big deal to be gay, or look at the appalling attitudes of the dinosaurs that run the game. It's hard to imagine a Big Sam or Tony Pulis having an openly gay player in their 1970's working mens club inspired dressing rooms. Malky Mckay is currently head of football development at the SFA ffs

An openly gay footballer would have to be seriously fucking good, otherwise they just wouldn't stand a chance. Teams would find reasons not to sign them, unless they had a talent level that was worth the "hassle".

As I intimated above, why should it matter if a footballer is gay? Why should he ‘come out’? Just carry on with your life as you always have.

Because that person is living a life where they feel like they have to lie about everything just to be accepted? They have to hide their sexuality around the club through fear of abuse. Why should they have to carry on like that? It 100% shouldn't matter if a footballer is gay, I agree, as you do...and no one 'should' come out, as its their choice if they want to or not, but it would be amazing news if someone did as it'd be one of the biggest, most groundbreaking moments in football. It'd be bold, brilliant and a huge step forward for society if we could deal with this like adults. If every gay footballer could 'come out' now so they didn't have to live a lie anymore and be guaranteed acceptance with no stick, they'd all do it tomorrow. It's sad that they feel that they can't.

While in general, society is more liberal over allowing people to live their lives how they want these days.

Football fans are generally thick as fuck and do and say idiotic things. And the thickest idiots of those football fans occupy Twitter.

There will be a lot of homophobic hate directed at any footballer on Twitter who comes out. Even people who don’t really mean it and think it’s just “bantz” to take the piss out of being gay.

It's worth mentioning that top level footballers may often be playing in countries where it's still considered banter to do monkey chants from the terraces. Another issue that might come up is that not all footballers are from liberal countries that are accepting of homosexuality, and there are still plenty of homophobic people in countries that are. I can definitely see there being a few more John Fashanus when footballers start coming out en masse. People claiming to be uncomfortable sharing a changing room with an openly gay man (even though they probably already do it all the time) or hiding behind their religious beliefs as an excuse for their bigotry. I'm sure that almost all team mates would be supportive, but I can see why any gay footballer would want to avoid all of that potential hassle.

However, I still reckon the first really good player to come out as gay will be absolutely inundated with sponsorship offers.

A referee in the Northern League came out about 2 years ago. Really promising ref who was expected to have the potential to go onto the football league. When he came out his scores from both assessors and clubs suddenly plummeted. Having watched this lad referee I can assure you his performances did not change at all but the narrow minded assessors and club secretaries must have thought he had gone dramatically backwards from the day he announced his sexuality. Sad state of affairs but I can understand why this footballer will have thought twice about coming out.

What does that mean nowadays? I suspect there are many gay footballers whose team members know and don’t care. In the same way as when I was a teacher there were several gay teachers. All the other teachers knew but cared not one jot.

That's what you seemed to be advocating. Carry on as they are, in the closet. "Coming out" doesn't have to mean proclaiming to all and sundry your sexuality, shouting it from the rooftops and telling everybody how great it is. For many it would just be good to be able to live their lives in the same way that heterosexuals do.

There may well be footballers who are gay and known to be by their team members. When said team members arrive at some footballers awards with their female partners do you not think that the gay footballers should feel comfortable enough to do the same. That in and of itself, in the current climate would be "coming out" and yet they would not have needed to say a word. Or maybe, as you said, they should just carry on living their lives as they are.

Last edited:
A referee in the Northern League came out about 2 years ago. Really promising ref who was expected to have the potential to go onto the football league. When he came out his scores from both assessors and clubs suddenly plummeted. Having watched this lad referee I can assure you his performances did not change at all but the narrow minded assessors and club secretaries must have thought he had gone dramatically backwards from the day he announced his sexuality. Sad state of affairs but I can understand why this footballer will have thought twice about coming out.
That is extremely sad and pathetic

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.