Ched Evans - serious injury

Davs 19 said:
M18CTID said:
Davs 19 said:
Posted something similar not too long back Bob. You're wasting your time as some on here are in complete denial.

Nobody is in denial ffs. We're just pointing out that there is a possibility that the jury and appeals panel could've got it wrong.

Do you honestly believe that a) There isn't a single innocent person in prison that has been wrongly convicted? And b) There isn't a single guilty person walking the streets that has been wrongly acquitted?

A)No
B)No

I do however, believe that the justice system gets it right the overwhelming majority of the time.

I believe that for the jury in a rape trial to reach a unanimous verdict so quickly, they were convinced he was guilty.

Read the judges summation. He was convinced that Evans was guilty.

90,000 people in Sheffield have signed a petition saying they don't want him to play for their club, presumably because they think he's guilty.

Nobody but a website run by his family and a few on here seem to be protesting his innocence.

Why do you think he's innocent ? He had sex with an unconscious woman.

Classy guy eh ? Do you think that doesn't constitute rape ?

But that's the point. How do you know she was unconscious? From what I can gather, there's no concrete evidence she was. If there was then I'd completely agree so I suggest you stop implying that I'm an apologist for rape.

whp.blue said:
M18CTID said:
Davs 19 said:
Posted something similar not too long back Bob. You're wasting your time as some on here are in complete denial.

Nobody is in denial ffs. We're just pointing out that there is a possibility that the jury and appeals panel could've got it wrong.

Do you honestly believe that a) There isn't a single innocent person in prison that has been wrongly convicted? And b) There isn't a single guilty person walking the streets that has been wrongly acquitted?

In truth there are only two people who know the truth Evans and the girl the courts decided to believe the girl but Evans has served his sentence and should be free to return to whatever employment he wants as was lee Hughes
I must admit I would not like him at my club but I am an individual with strong views and am not big on forgiveness.

Ok, putting aside any possible doubts about the case and answering the OP's question then I agree of course entirely. I wouldn't be happy having a convicted rapist on our books but as you say he has a right to seek employment once he has served his sentence.

M18CTID said:
Davs 19 said:
M18CTID said:

A)No
B)No

I do however, believe that the justice system gets it right the overwhelming majority of the time.

I believe that for the jury in a rape trial to reach a unanimous verdict so quickly, they were convinced he was guilty.

90,000 people in Sheffield have signed a petition saying they don't want him to play for their club, presumably because they think he's guilty.

Nobody but a website run by his family and a few on here seem to be protesting his innocence.

But that's the point. How do you know she was unconscious? From what I can gather, there's no concrete evidence she was. If there was then I'd completely agree so I suggest you stop implying that I'm an apologist for rape.

I asked the question because the court believed he slept with an unconscious woman yet you seem unconvinced of his guilt.

If the question offended you , I apologise unreservedly.

If the premise of your position is that the outcome of most rape trials are decided on the acceptance of one persons word over another, with the consequence that the innocent may be found guilty and vice versa , the debate is pointless.. The justice system isn't perfect. I believe in the case of Evans, it got it right. A believe the overwhelming majority of people I know share.

Looks like we'll have to agree to differ.

M18CTID said:
Davs 19 said:
M18CTID said:

A)No
B)No

There is one glaring problem with your point, if you don't take a verdict as correct until proven otherwise in your world we couldn't punish anyone for anything

You have to accept the juries decision otherwise why have them? he is a rapist in the eye of the law and should be treated as such

hilts said:
M18CTID said:
Davs 19 said:
A)No
B)No

There is one glaring problem with your point, if you don't take a verdict as correct until proven otherwise in your world we couldn't punish anyone for anything

You have to accept the juries decision otherwise why have them? he is a rapist in the eye of the law and should be treated as such

Pack it in with all the sensible stuff ;.)

Davs 19 said:
M18CTID said:
Davs 19 said:
A)No
B)No

I asked the question because the court believed he slept with an unconscious woman yet you seem unconvinced of his guilt.

If the question offended you , I apologise unreservedly.

If the premise of your position is that the outcome of most rape trials are decided on the acceptance of one persons word over another, with the consequence that the innocent may be found guilty and vice versa , the debate is pointless.. The justice system isn't perfect. I believe in the case of Evans, it got it right. A believe the overwhelming majority of people I know share.

Looks like we'll have to agree to differ.

Apology accepted. I'm not convinced he's innocent by the way, just questioning the soundness of the conviction.

hilts said:
M18CTID said:
Davs 19 said:
A)No
B)No

I don't disagree. I never said that I didn't accept the decision, just that it's possible that they may have got it wrong on this occasion. Thousands of people up and down the country debate these things every day of the week - that doesn't automatically mean that they don't respect the justice system in this country. I for one certainly respect it - it's one of the best in the world IMO - but that doesn't mean that we can't debate these things when we feel that there's a possibility that a wrong decision may have been reached. But yes, as things stand he is a convicted rapist.

It will be a very, very brave club to sign him. In some sports serious crimes are swept under the carpet, boxing and in the NFL for example. I'm not sure football in this country is one of them though.

I could see him playing football abroad somewhere.

argyle said:
It will be a very, very brave club to sign him. In some sports serious crimes are swept under the carpet, boxing and in the NFL for example. I'm not sure football in this country is one of them though.

I could see him playing football abroad somewhere.

Lee Hughes and that Plymouth goalie whose name escapes me, in fact these players will get a job because clubs will get a player of talent for a reduced financial outlay, morals and football don't mix, not sure what game you have been watching

Just discussed this case with my daughter who is 23 - she says a 19 yr old who gets that smashed she goes to a hotel with a random isn't going back to watch tv. She feels the rape conviction he got diminishes the conviction of someone who attacks a girl with a weapon, injures her, threatens her life and forcibly rapes her causing injuries, that is terrifying. My daughter thinks there is a difference between violent, brutal rape and what happened here.

I have to agree with her

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.