Chelsea (A) | PL | Post Match Thread

We had no midfield and now a sparta gladiator playing LB. Strong defending Gvardiol is, but missing out on an LB tactical creative like Zinchenko.

Might take time for Gvardiol to be more agile, when against a team with nimble footwork like Sterling.
We miss Ake a lot more than Zinchenko.

i was surprised Walker was given the free kick, Rodri would have been the obvious choice for me, or Gundoghan, Mahrez, Alvarez or Kevin de Bruyne. Sadly one injured, two left and one taken off earlier. Dias was a tad unlucky with the challenge I think, the rain made the pitch slippy and he probably went into make a fair challenge but the soggy surface made him lose a bit of control. Nevertheless we enter the international break on top by a point, just need to be at our best for the next two games

it was there to win, especially after 3-2. Alvarez had a volley too from penalty spot just not enough power on it and didnt go wide enough to the post. Doku had some good positions as well.
some crosses were blocked very well by Chelsea in that period. also Sanchez was good in that period, no ball came back from him while Ederson unfortunately could keep the ball setting up Jackson with it.

what really cost us is how easily Chelsea were able to go through our midfield like hot knife through the butter. you cannot allow that. that also put pressure on the defenders who generally had an awful game but not much protection they got from midfield. but still made some bad individual errors.
1 or 2 passes and they were at our box.

I think all season we had two games where we were really tested Arsenal and Chelsea, we need to take these tests better in the future. Pool is up next, they will test us as well, up to us to react.
Yes, agree with this- algho1ugh thought we had control for most of ghe second half. I think them going through our midfield was in part due to both Raheem and Cole having super games, us giving the ball away in difficult positions and the fact ghat they played really well. The second goal came from Reuben giving the ball away snd then Gvardiol cooking up.
But pretty pleased with our resilience, creating chances and just not losing! Doku and Dias disappointing, Rodri and Phil good but thought Bernardo was very good.
This first part of the season tells me it could be a pretty tight and interesting top 4 and title race,

In the replay it was clear Phil was wide open for a tap in, a two goal lead at that time would probably have killed the game. Pep saw it and hooked him straight away. Doku will learn from that. re Palmer, a monumental bollock dropped by us, and when Lavia is fit we may see another one. I called it when we bought Philips and sold Lavia in the same window. Time will tell. Personally I'd help Kalvin on to a new club in January and recall Tommy Doyle. When a coach/club tells a young player "we believe in you" they can be transformed overnight. Given the game time Kelvin will get in 2024 we should give those minutes to Rico and Tommy.
He had every right to shoot in that posistion, but he needs to download that finishing aspect asap,

Lavia was a bad sale for me personally, i think we rated him but southampton being relegated scuppered any plans to bring him back, the bigger mistake was signing Phillips, id like to see the scouting report we did on him, Tommy Doyle is twice the player.

Our defence made it a contest , our back four was diabolical , Walker got skinned everytime Sterling went near him Dias had a nightmare , Akanji and Gvardiol were just OK , its a good job our forward play was the total opposite , mesmerising at times some of the one touch play at speed was a thing of beauty.
At 3-2 and 4-3 we should have turned the screw but we let them off the hook , a lot to work on for Pep before the Dippers arrive in a couple of weeks.

Just remember..
We are top after playing Arsenal,Chelsea & Rags away.
We are normally not top until after New Year so all ahead of our normal schedule.
I don't think it's the end result that's making everyone shift uncomfortably -- giving away four goals and not seeming to really control the match the way we had been is nerve-inducing. I'm with you though -- said pre-match I'd take a point and at least acquisition of said point was entertaining. Had we not put five shots right at their keeper we could have been racing away with it. But we looked a little tired, a little sloppy, a little slow and a little cavalier -- and a LOT damp.

Probably get slated for this, but am I the only one who saw that Dias, (who was really poor tonight), touch the ball in that Broja challenge? It hasn't even been mentioned or highlighted, unlike the Halaand pen in the first half, when we watched over and over the 'initial pull by Halaand '. Whether it was a pen surely it was worth looking at?
It doesn't matter if the defender touches the ball, if he doesn't knock it out of playing distance of the opponent

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.