Chelsea (A) | PL | Post Match Thread

Pep seems always obliged to make Pochettino looking like a world class manager. It was a shit-show from our point of view and even now cannot find any positives from the game. Still feel like a huge loss to not really a great or even good Chelsea team. The loss of the game control and the ball control was astonishing.

That was such an entertaining game. The other team actually played football against us. I don't mind that. This was a home fixture for Chelsea and as much as it was great for the neutrals I think Chelsea will rue dropping two points far more than we will come the end of the season. They were really up for this game and I'm proud of our lads for not dropping their heads and grafting right until the end.

I felt frustrated during the game because it seemed like we never, ever got control of things, but as soon as the final whistle went it sunk in pretty quickly that it was the kind of game you can't really legislate for or bring to heel. Pep might have taken a long time to notice where we were deficient but even when he made those changes (like bringing Kovacic and Grealish on) it just never calmed down. Chelsea just kept pushing and pushing and pushing and made us react to things when it's normally us that likes to set the tempo. It was a bit of a mid-90s throwback in a lot of ways.

Lots of mixed bag performances from players on both sides, lots of huge performances from players on both sides as well. Rodri, Dias, and Gvardiol all over the place for us, but Foden, Haaland, and Akanji were all brilliant. On the flipside, Disasi, Thiago Silva, and Caicedo were rubbish throughout for Chelsea but Palmer, Sterling, and Cucurella were great. Basically all of the goals in the first half came from shocking defending and errors by both teams, a lot of the key incidents happened out of nowhere. Just a topsy turvy game that was never going to calm down.

So you just take it. A point is perfectly fine. I think, when the season's over, we'll look back on this 4-4 with Chelsea similarly to how we look back at the 3-3 against Newcastle from the 22/23 season - it felt like a disappointing result and a concerning performance in the moment but as the months dragged on and more big teams dropped points there, it ended up looking like a good battle. I imagine we'll feel similarly when Chelsea have finished comfortably in a European position in May and have taken more big points off the teams around us.

If you'd told me in August that we'd head into the November international break one point ahead of some vastly improved sides like Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs (even Villa), I'd have taken it. Everyone knows it takes us until February to really knuckle down and get our heads properly straight, and I anticipated a drop-off after playing so much football and winning so many trophies last season - so the fact that we're still competing after losing Mahrez and Gundogan and blooding in loads of new players, it's very encouraging heading into the Christmas period.
Top post that.

Got back at midnight. M6 closed for road works. Fucking nightmare!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.