Chelsea (A) - Thu 5th Jan, 20:00 | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can do but Pep will never sacrifice much control for chaos, Klopp will. Pep has sacrificed some control for the chaos of Haaland. He explained countless times tough why he prefers the extra pass of Greealish to Foden forcing it. That won’t change and I for one won’t argue with Pep over that because most seasons he’s proved right.
Looking at where I expect Pep and Klopp to finish in the league this season I think he’ll be proved right again.
Arsenal are the one, teams haven’t quite caught on to doing the same to them, they will though and it will be interesting how they try and cope with it.
Fair points. Tbf to Liverpool, which I am not usually, they sold their best player (imo) from last season, lost his replacement to long term injury and they replaced the replacement with a uruguayan clown where as we added maybe the best no.9 in the world. When they beat Brentford tonight on a dodgy penalty they'll be 5pts behind us.

I don't want us to play like Liverpool, I just want us to play faster than we do.

I don’t see how it doesn’t suit us. We have scored way more goals than last season after 16 games and only two points behind what we were on.

It’s the defence that needs sharpen up. I’m not even sure what our best back line is but we should at least try to get a settled one. And also we need to stop relaxing after going ahead, thinking the job is done.

I don’t think having a centre forward like Haaland is a problem because the numbers show we are much better in attack. We just need to get a more settled defence and start managing games a bit better.
2017 - 60 goals in 19 games / 2018 41 goals in 16 / 2019 44 goals in 19 / last two seasons yes 26 in 18
15 and 33 I think last year, BUT our style from 2016 or so on wards reaped as many goals or iif not more with Augero not being our only or key scorer - just a risk i think with current style of play and midfield being too lazy to get in great areas - or Gundy not being composed in front of goal!

True, but one of the reasons we aren’t managing the game as well is because we have one less ‘manager’ with Haaland over a false 9 or Jesus.

I think it’s been more of a mentality thing

Look at the Everton game, as soon as we scored, we dropped our intensity compared to before the goal. I don’t think that’s down to having any particular players in the team that can’t see out a game.

I don’t buy into this “false 9” thing being better for the team. We’re much better attacking than we were last year and have the best finisher in world football breaking records. If the team is thinking the job is done because we’re 1-0 in games, then the problem is an overall mentality that needs to sharpen up. Look at the Everton goal the other day, the lad had time to fall over, get back up and score without being closed down. A false 9 wouldn’t have changed that poor defending and lack of desire/concentration to stop him.

We just need to get more organised in defence and stay switched on for 90 minutes and we’ll be ok.

I don’t think this inverted fullbacks trick is helping matters much either, but that’s another topic probably.

Just need to concentrate on getting enough points for top 4 now seems like a transition season for us and the Premier league are hell bent on making sure we don't win it.

Ederson

Walker
Stones
Ake
Cancelo

Rodri
Gundogan
Kdb

Bernardo
Haaland
Foden
We improve a title winning squad with one of the best strikers in the world, plus one of the best up and coming, and it’s a “transition season”? How does that work?

10 points behind imo when we step on the pitch on Thursday.

our mentality will be tested first and foremost. Phillips being a fat ass, Pep mentioning body language issues with others, wtf, we need to pull together now if we dont want to look into a 10+ points gap very soon.

We improve a title winning squad with one of the best strikers in the world, plus one of the best up and coming, and it’s a “transition season”? How does that work?
We lost Sterling, Zinchenko, Jesus and most notably Fernandinho (admittedly more for dressing room influence as playing time last season). Four out, four in isn’t insignificant. Especially as one of those going was the Club captain.

Although to be honest, the biggest factor this season (imho) is a dirty great World Cup right when we usually put a run together.

IMO that’d narrow our play, take out 2 of our safest ball keepers and inject a load of exciting / direct but less controlled play.
I wouldn’t mind seeing that myself but suspect that it would be the recipe for plunging possession stats and a far more open / end to end game - maybe that’s what we need to make the most of Haaland?
Good post. Gong on what we saw against the toffees I'd rather we inject some pace and get behind their defense a bit more. It's going to be an interesting game because Chelsea are a tidy outfit, plenty of possession but toothless up front.

Last edited:
I don’t see how it doesn’t suit us. We have scored way more goals than last season after 16 games and only two points behind what we were on.

It’s the defence that needs sharpen up. I’m not even sure what our best back line is but we should at least try to get a settled one. And also we need to stop relaxing after going ahead, thinking the job is done.

I don’t think having a centre forward like Haaland is a problem because the numbers show we are much better in attack. We just need to get a more settled defence and start managing games a bit better.
That's what pisses me off with Pep, he's not happy unless he's chopping and changing the defence, I know we've got injuries but when they're all fit he's still always messing around with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.