Chelsea (A) - Thu 5th Jan, 20:00 | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We lost Sterling, Zinchenko, Jesus and most notably Fernandinho (admittedly more for dressing room influence as playing time last season). Four out, four in isn’t insignificant. Especially as one of those going was the Club captain.

Although to be honest, the biggest factor this season (imho) is a dirty great World Cup right when we usually put a run together.

OK but Fern and Sterling peaked for us a couple or three years earlier. Neither merited a first choice place any longer. Zin, bless him, was a utility man, useful but only ever a squad player. Gab has arguably been either directly replaced by Alvarez or upgraded by the Viking. Either way, he wasn’t a fixture.

So, as far as I’m concerned, this is not by any stretch a transitional season. Someone used the phrase and others have parroted it.

Cheers to you but I was rather hoping the guy I addressed would respond.

Last edited:
I'm going with a bit of an unorthodox lineup.

Ederson
Walker Laporte Stones Cancelo
Phillips
Gundo Foden
Bernardo Haaland Grealish

OK but Fern and Sterling peaked for us a couple or three years earlier. Neither merited a first choice place any longer. Zin, bless him, was a utility man, useful but only ever a squad player. Gab has arguably been either directly replaced by Alvarez or upgraded by the Viking. Either way, he wasn’t a fixture.

Agree with all of that assessment, but would very much like to see Julián, in the wake of his World Cup, being selected alongside Erling, and not an either/or situation. If I had my way, the front line would be Foden/Haaland/Álvarez for the foreseeable future, until one of them's looking tired.
Gabby's been terrific at Arsenal, but he was never going to get that kind of role with us. There's nothing to regret. I wish him well (as a PL runner up, naturally…).

One other point: by God, but I miss Dias. What's the situation on his injury? Even if he hasn't been in the form of the last two seasons, there's no-one who quite replaces his leadership, in my view.

It means we go from playing a false 9 for 2 seasons we lose pace on the wings and a fantastic utility player in zinchenko. Now we have to find a way with playing with world class cf and 2 wide players that are more possession based. It's shown signs of clicking and I'm sure pep will get it right for the big run in. We also can't seem to get a settled first choice back 4 out on the pitch.
We improve a title winning squad with one of the best strikers in the world, plus one of the best up and coming, and it’s a “transition season”? How does that work?

Keep forgetting about this game. Probably because we're playing them in the cup afterwards.

I'm going with a bit of an unorthodox lineup.

Ederson
Walker Laporte Stones Cancelo
Phillips
Gundo Foden
Bernardo Haaland Grealish
I will raise you with a

Ederson
Stones Ake Laporte
Rodders
Phil Kev Gundo Grealish
Alvarez Haaland

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.