Chelsea Thread 16/17

He can be all of those things, and when does something untoward I won't hesitate to criticise him.

But he isn't a defensive midfielder, and this illusion that Chelsea finished the game with 5 defenders and 3 defensive midfielders is way off the mark. It actually beggars belief that someone could watch Fabregas being brought on and think 'yep, they are going to shut up shop with this substitution'.
When you're replacing a winger with him, it's shutting up shop. Defending, tidying up loose balls, whatever you call it, it was shutting up shop. He's a lot deeper lying now than he used to be too. And having 5 defenders on the pitch = 5 defenders. I appreciate that's not every game. But sitting back against Palace is dire either way. Unfortunately for Palace, it lulled them into a comatose performance too - Zaha couldn't even be bothered to take on Cahill 1 on 1. It was such a nothing game and neither side did anything to liven it up. It's as if Chelsea know that Palace will make some kind of mistake so they just wait for it rather than forcing the initiative themselves.

When you're replacing a winger with him, it's shutting up shop. Defending, tidying up loose balls, whatever you call it, it was shutting up shop. He's a lot deeper lying now than he used to be too. And having 5 defenders on the pitch = 5 defenders. I appreciate that's not every game. But sitting back against Palace is dire either way. Unfortunately for Palace, it lulled them into a comatose performance too - Zaha couldn't even be bothered to take on Cahill 1 on 1. It was such a nothing game and neither side did anything to liven it up. It's as if Chelsea know that Palace will make some kind of mistake so they just wait for it rather than forcing the initiative themselves.

I wonder if this how you'd view it if Pep brought on Silva to replace Sterling whilst 1-0 up. The game became frantic and Chelsea were struggling to put their foot on the ball and control the game. Conte needed Fabregas out there. Willian wasn't having a great game and he was the logical guy to take off. And Fabregas did what was asked of him. Chelsea were in better control in the last 25 mins and had more chances to score than in the first half.

Chelsea didn't play well, the team isn't in the fluid, bulldozing form they were in a few weeks ago, but I don't see how that suddenly morphs into 'Chelsea played boring defensive football and their tactics were just to wait for a mistake'. Picking up 1-0 wins while not playing well used to be hallmark of potential champions. Now it is apparently used as evidence that the team plays boring but effective football.

Benefiting from not having to play European games - likewise Liverpool.

City and Arsenal have the best two playing squads but behind Chelsea and Liverpool because of the demands of Champions League football. Arsenal had an easy group, but the only easy game City had was Celtic at home. Getting to be a theme this - miss out on champions League football and you have a big advantage in the Premiership

The Premier League has got much tougher in the last 2-3 seasons. Every team is difficult to beat. There are games where the big clubs win easily - if you score early etc, but you're playing with fire if you rest players, and if you're playing midweek, you absolutely have to rest players. I think this is why City, Arsenal and Utd have underperformed this season. A factor anyway

Benefiting from not having to play European games - likewise Liverpool.

City and Arsenal have the best two playing squads but behind Chelsea and Liverpool because of the demands of Champions League football. Arsenal had an easy group, but the only easy game City had was Celtic at home. Getting to be a theme this - miss out on champions League football and you have a big advantage in the Premiership

The Premier League has got much tougher in the last 2-3 seasons. Every team is difficult to beat. There are games where the big clubs win easily - if you score early etc, but you're playing with fire if you rest players, and if you're playing midweek, you absolutely have to rest players. I think this is why City, Arsenal and Utd have underperformed this season. A factor anyway
The advantage of no European games has now gone for the next two months, every club has the same set of fixtures.

Liverpool are at a slight disadvantage as they have two EFL cup games to get through between now and then

Now is the time to put pressure on Chlesea, we need a winning run between now and mid Feb

We need a minimum of 22 points from these games

Hull City v Manchester City
Liverpool v Manchester City
Manchester City v Burnley
Everton v Manchester City
Manchester City v Tottenham Hotspur
West Ham United v Manchester City
Manchester City v Swansea City
Bournemouth v Manchester City

Chelsea are not as amazing as they're being made out to be at the moment. You can't deny they're in incredible form with their winning run but the suggestion that they don't have a weakness is absolute bollocks. The media hype has switched to them following the early talk about how untouchable we were, and then Liverpool. We should have been 2-0 up against Chelsea and wouldn't have lost from that position in my opinion.

They have been winning 1-0 without playing incredibly well and that's a sign of champions according to our press. Palace had plenty of chances and should have scored. Their defence isn't water tight. Similarly, their attack isn't hugely menacing. They create chances but I don't think they've got an abundance of creativity.

In their current formation they need width from the full backs and expect a lot from the front three. Matic and Kante aren't creative, they just mop up the play and do the simple things. Now that they have this reputation a lot of teams will start to sit and defend and look to counter them. If a team does this it will be interesting to see how Conte tries to respond. You nullify any width their full backs can give them and I don't know that they've got enough creativity in that side based on what they play at the moment.

The fact they created chances against us is simply because we allow teams to. Leicester can't win to save their lives in the league but were 4-0 up against us. The fact we're only 7 points behind them in encouraging. Any defence with Luiz and Cahill in it will make mistakes. I don't think they'll lose many games, but I'm sure they'll drop points because teams will just mark Hazard and Costa out of games and I don't think they've got much else to offer at the moment without those two threats.

The advantage of no European games has now gone for the next two months, every club has the same set of fixtures.

Liverpool are at a slight disadvantage as they have two EFL cup games to get through between now and then

Now is the time to put pressure on Chlesea, we need a winning run between now and mid Feb

My blood is blue and so are my tinted glasses but seriously can't see this happening win all bar one? I hope you're right though x

22/24 absolutely no chance.

Id say 18 points out of 24 would be more realistic. If we have any hope of winning the league though you are probably right, we need to be putting a very good run together over the next few months to claw it back. Just cannot see it happening unless Cheslea start losing regular games.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.