Chelsea Thread 16/17

A loss will come, a draw will come and whoever can win both games then will be 2 points behind with them to play. Long way to go but fair dues to Conte. If it wasn't for Costa, Fabregas and Hazard being horrible shits ...

I was at Selhurst Park on Saturday. Boring as s**t. Honestly.
Even more annoying than the idiotic, clueless Palace fans around me, who get impatient if after 5 passes one of them isn't an upfield hoof, was Chelsea playing on the counter attack. Against Palace. About 16 places below them in the league. Eden Hazard is in 'Garth's Team of the Week' - I barely noticed he was on the pitch. He didn't beat anyone all game and Martin Kelly had a really good game up against him. Costa continues to slope around slyly tripping people and making a meal out of everything. Kante didn't get booked for hauling someone down from behind, blatantly, in the final 3rd and a Palace player got a yellow 2 mins later for barely touching Costa. A slight bump from behind and he went down holding his face. Kante then eventually got a yellow later in the game. The first was in the opening 15 mins - makes for a different game if the ref grows a pair.
The goal was awful, as soon as the ball was played, I could see it was dangerous - but the 'keeper just needs to claim it, or stay on his line. Costa can't get any power on a ball like that so don't leave him an open net for him to loop it in.
Then with 15 mins left, Conte does his 'masterstoke' - Remove Willian, an attacking winger and bring on a defensive midfielder in Fabregas. Then remove Moses, playing as a wing back and bring on Ivanovic. So they finished with 5 defenders and 3 holding midfielders for the remaining 15 mins, and continued to play on the break. You can see why they score lots of late goals, because the opposition has to do a job akin to pulling teeth just to prevent the crowd from falling asleep. Then they hoof one long, Willian or Hazard pick it up and lay it to an unmarked Costa. It might be effective, and it's practical etc. But their back line is no fortress and I'd be going mental watching that week after week.

Ah if only it was that easy...there has been many a time when we have been in similar good form only for it to come crashing down in the unlikeliest of games

Not to mention Costa and Kante are suspended and Bournemouth aren't pushovers these days.

Even more annoying than the idiotic, clueless Palace fans around me, who get impatient if after 5 passes one of them isn't an upfield hoof, was Chelsea playing on the counter attack. Against Palace. About 16 places below them in the league. Eden Hazard is in 'Garth's Team of the Week' - I barely noticed he was on the pitch. He didn't beat anyone all game and Martin Kelly had a really good game up against him. Costa continues to slope around slyly tripping people and making a meal out of everything. Kante didn't get booked for hauling someone down from behind, blatantly, in the final 3rd and a Palace player got a yellow 2 mins later for barely touching Costa. A slight bump from behind and he went down holding his face. Kante then eventually got a yellow later in the game. The first was in the opening 15 mins - makes for a different game if the ref grows a pair.
The goal was awful, as soon as the ball was played, I could see it was dangerous - but the 'keeper just needs to claim it, or stay on his line. Costa can't get any power on a ball like that so don't leave him an open net for him to loop it in.
Then with 15 mins left, Conte does his 'masterstoke' - Remove Willian, an attacking winger and bring on a defensive midfielder in Fabregas. Then remove Moses, playing as a wing back and bring on Ivanovic. So they finished with 5 defenders and 3 holding midfielders for the remaining 15 mins, and continued to play on the break. You can see why they score lots of late goals, because the opposition has to do a job akin to pulling teeth just to prevent the crowd from falling asleep. Then they hoof one long, Willian or Hazard pick it up and lay it to an unmarked Costa. It might be effective, and it's practical etc. But their back line is no fortress and I'd be going mental watching that week after week.
I get your point but isnt week after week, 3 1-0's in 6 days is impressive regardless how they played. Lest we forget they gave a footballing clinic against Everton 5-0, smacked the rags 4-0, 2-0 away to saints. Last 3 1-0's shouldnt mask how good they have been.

The only game i potentially see them slipping up in is Liverpool away at the end of January. Maybe a draw v Spuds on 4th Jan but wins elsewhere. They're starting to remind me of Mourinhos team 1st time round which is one of the best teams ive ever seen in the prem era... the year they lost 1 game. Bagging 1-0's and looking so tough. I do think theyll win it and 1 win v Arsenal is not enough to change my mind...... yet

The only game i potentially see them slipping up in is Liverpool away at the end of January. Maybe a draw v Spuds on 4th Jan but wins elsewhere. They're starting to remind me of Mourinhos team 1st time round which is one of the best teams ive ever seen in the prem era... the year they lost 1 game. Bagging 1-0's and looking so tough. I do think theyll win it and 1 win v Arsenal is not enough to change my mind...... yet
Are you a Chelsea supporter?

Well for starters, Fabregas is the furthest thing from a defensive midfielder, but don't let that get in the way of a good rant.

The game was becoming a little too frantic with lots of loose balls and Cesc came on to bring calm and control in midfield, which he did.

As for your description on Chelsea's play, it's a very predictable opinion. I have seen it repeated quite a lot on this forum, and elsewhere. We've won 4-0, 5-0, a couple of 3-0 wins whilst playing what I deem to be pretty entertaining, attacking football. The 5-0 against Everton was one of the best Chelsea performances I've seen in a long time. The last 3 games been uneventful 1-0's (though I see no difference between these three 1-0's and City's pair of 2-1 away wins against Palace and Burnley), but the season in general, Chelsea have been pretty good to watch. The fact that you label Chelsea boring and that you think Chelsea play this way week in week out is very telling.

Well for starters, Fabregas is the furthest thing from a defensive midfielder, but don't let that get in the way of a good rant.

You're right... he's a spineless, cowardly, snidey, cheating, slimey shitbag ****! He makes Costa look saintly, and that's saying something!

You're right... he's a spineless, cowardly, snidey, cheating, slimey shitbag ****! He makes Costa look saintly, and that's saying something!

He can be all of those things, and when does something untoward I won't hesitate to criticise him.

But he isn't a defensive midfielder, and this illusion that Chelsea finished the game with 5 defenders and 3 defensive midfielders is way off the mark. It actually beggars belief that someone could watch Fabregas being brought on and think 'yep, they are going to shut up shop with this substitution'.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.