Chelsea Thread - 2022/23 | Pochettino confirmed as new manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he's a dud, you won't recoup the money. Lots of your signings have not worked and the players have lost value. You will end up with players on long contracts you can't get rid of, or sell them at cut price to United and other poorly managed clubs.

If he's a dud, he's a dud but there are different levels of dud. Werner for me was a dud (considering how much we paid for him) but a good kind of dud (as in he showed he could still contribute despite struggling in front of goal), despite being on nearly £300K a week. Took a hit on the transfer fee, sold him for half of what we paid but we got out of being on the hook for £300K a week for another 3 years, which is what he had left on his deal.

It’s definitely a way to get around FFP but I don’t see anything wrong with it. It’s a calculated risk from both the player and the club. Why would anybody have a problem with this?

I don't know. Why does anyone have any problem with investment from the Middle East, or sponsorship from the Middle East, or the fact Etihad took a chance on City increasing its visibility, or on Mancini having a contract in the UAE, or some emails taken out of context, or scores of other things we have been in hot water for?

You know its a transaction on conditions not normally associated with the PL. Why? To benefit the player? To give a footballing benefit to the club? No, it's just an artificially inflated contract to reduce the annual amortisation charge in the FFP accounts which, as you know, are a part of the player costs that are restricted as a % of revenues. We should try that one time.

Incidentally, the annual amortisation cost will be lower but the loss on sale (and there very likely will be a sale in the 8 years, as you well know) will be higher by the accumulated difference. Hence kicking the FFP problem down the road.

But you must forgive me. I am feeling particularly cynical at the moment as I try to decide if it's worth getting up at 3 am Friday morning to watch us getting shafted again.

Last edited:
If he's a dud, he's a dud but there are different levels of dud. Werner for me was a dud (considering how much we paid for him) but a good kind of dud (as in he showed he could still contribute despite struggling in front of goal), despite being on nearly £300K a week. Took a hit on the transfer fee, sold him for half of what we paid but we got out of being on the hook for £300K a week for another 3 years, which is what he had left on his deal.
I'm no expert, but I was speculating on what was meant by kicking the can down the road. I think he meant you were storing up problems for the future. Look at United now. It's rumoured that they have no money to spend without breaking FFP, and they need to sell a lot before they can buy.

We all have the occasional dud. If your squad is loaded with long term contracts, it might be harder to get rid of them than in the past, and you'll be stuck with a weakened squad.

I'm not sure Chelsea fans are arsed to be honest. Just as we weren't when we used to overpay a lot more than we do now.
This has never happened before though. The club has never overpaid more than it is now. Abramovic never spunked money like this. This is a completely unprecedented period.

Yes, he was a high spender and one of the highest, but nowhere near Boehly levels. Boehly spends more on one backup player than Abramovic would spend in three consecutive windows on a squad rebuild.

And Abramovic tended to spend it where it was needed, and surrounded himself with knowledgable people to identify targets on his behalf.

I’m not suggesting that Chelsea turn Potter into the next ‘Arry Redknapp, chasing Benjanis onto aeroplanes and hanging out of his Land Rover window waxing lyrical about a triffic 50k wonderkid from the conference south.

All I’m saying is that they should put some thought into transfers, and that doing so would benefit the club. The scattergun neauve-riche kid in a sweetshop approach isn’t a sustainable or cohesive way to build a squad, and it’s not what brought the club it’s successes in Europe and the premiership

This has never happened before though. The club has never overpaid more than it is now. Abramovic never spunked money like this. This is a completely unprecedented period.

Yes, he was a high spender and one of the highest, but nowhere near Boehly levels. Boehly spends more on one backup player than Abramovic would spend in three consecutive windows on a squad rebuild.

And Abramovic tended to spend it where it was needed, and surrounded himself with knowledgable people to identify targets on his behalf.

I’m not suggesting that Chelsea turn Potter into the next ‘Arry Redknapp, chasing Benjanis onto aeroplanes and hanging out of his Land Rover window waxing lyrical about a triffic 50k wonderkid from the conference south.

All I’m saying is that they should put some thought into transfers, and that doing so would benefit the club. The scattergun neauve-riche kid in a sweetshop approach isn’t a sustainable or cohesive way to build a squad, and it’s not what brought the club it’s successes in Europe and the premiership

Mourinho went to Chelsea for the first time he bought what was it 5/6 players for the equivalent now of 500m

Chelsea now close to Caceido from Brighton for £80m!

If a 8 year contract play his wages will be no more than 30k seeing he is on only 3k a week at Brighton Will work out at 10m a year!

Think there plan is to buy a full new team then loan out the rest who they don’t want that will counter balance some of the big spend

If a 8 year contract play his wages will be no more than 30k seeing he is on only 3k a week at Brighton Will work out at 10m a year!

Think there plan is to buy a full new team then loan out the rest who they don’t want that will counter balance some of the big spend

Doesnt help them much though loaning out players mate? Their wage bill must be outrageous currently as well! Clubs know they need to sell now so wont be high fees and cant also make the Chavs pay most of the high wages for any players they manage to loan out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.