Chelsea Thread - 2022/23 | Pochettino confirmed as new manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the link between being a top team and being state backed is amplifying it but the core issue is still being state backed. City and PSG are in the limelight because they're good teams. If a midtable club in France was also state backed, the same people would have a moral issue with that too but it wouldn't be at the forefront of their minds if that club isn't in the CL and therefore visible to the masses.

I do hear what you're saying though, and I will concede I perhaps undersold the spending power aspect a bit but I still think the moral opposition people have to City isn't the money City have spent but how and why City are being used by unscrupulous individuals as a vehicle to sports wash their image.

The funny thing about the sportwashing accusation is that no one seems to know who we are owned by. We're consistently referenced as being state-owned. But it isn't true. People can decide that because our owner is also part of the royal family that it's the same thing. But it isn't. I always think that if people don't know our ownership then our owners aren't doing a very good job of "washing" their image.

I hate the hypocrisy of this sportswashing nonsense anyway. We live in a country that slagged off the World Cup in Qatar despite taking a shit load of money from it over the past decade. We supply weapons to the Saudis and are keen to jump into bed with them, but suddenly scrutinise them when they get involved with football.

And clubs are more than happy to take sponsorships from whoever pays the most, regardless of what that company does, where it is based and how it carries out its business. Liverpool fans giving us shit yet have no idea about the behaviour of their shirt sponsors being a big example.

You could argue Abramovich was sportswashing as well. There have always been major question marks about the source of his wealth and how he got it. But he kept investing in Chelsea, the criticism died down and then everyone was over it. No one was that bothered about the WC being in Russia either despite their human rights record and invasion of Crimea. We're all media washed to hate whatever we're told to. Abramovich was even lauded as a hero as he was apparently meeting Putin to tell him to stop the invasion of Ukraine! Hypocritical nonsense.

I understand the link between being a top team and being state backed is amplifying it but the core issue is still being state backed. City and PSG are in the limelight because they're good teams. If a midtable club in France was also state backed, the same people would have a moral issue with that too but it wouldn't be at the forefront of their minds if that club isn't in the CL and therefore visible to the masses.

I do hear what you're saying though, and I will concede I perhaps undersold the spending power aspect a bit but I still think the moral opposition people have to City isn't the money City have spent but how and why City are being used by unscrupulous individuals as a vehicle to sports wash their image.
City were taken over by sheikh mansour (not Abu Dhabi) in 2008.
We won our first premier league trophy in 2012.
Find a reference to city and sports washing before we won the premier league and I'll begin to agree with you.

Nobody cares about 'sportswashing' if you aren't upsetting the establishment.

How are these cocks able to spend this much, yet we get questioned all the time about money.

And secondly, if they can spend this much then it’s about time we as a wealthier club started our own spending spree given that Arsenal and the rag shits are too competitive for comfort. Need to beat all these fuckers down and sign a left back and rapid winger no matter what the cost. Seems ok for the chavs so why not us.

How are these cocks able to spend this much, yet we get questioned all the time about money.

And secondly, if they can spend this much then it’s about time we as a wealthier club started our own spending spree given that Arsenal and the rag shits are too competitive for comfort. Need to beat all these fuckers down and sign a left back and rapid winger no matter what the cost. Seems ok for the chavs so why not us.

I was wondering this.

seems like Chelsea are splashing 80-100 mill every few weeks for some player

how are they avoiding the FFP thing ? surely they dont make that much revenue

Good question, why don't you? Arsenal and Chelsea are spending. Liverpool and United when they get their Qatari or Saudi owners will spend like that mad too. What's stopping City? You have the highest revenue in Europe and filthy rich owners.

I have no problem with them spending whatever they want to but we all know we wouldn’t be allowed to do it without sanction. There would be no talk of loopholes.

I understand how contracts are amortized, but has any club ever spent more than their annual turnover in one season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.