Chelsea Thread - 2022/23 | Pochettino confirmed as new manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just looks like everything about CFC is broken beyond the capacity for any one manager to mend. You wouldn't think that a club that has the monetary and geographic advantages that they have could be such an utter shambles.

So many things go into making a top manager and a top club. You could insert the best available tactician who is capable of managing big egos in a dressing room... But who will he report to? Management? Or is it directly to the Owner? Under what structure? Who is in charge of their player acquisitions and evaluations? Who is in charge of their finances?

Remember to thank whichever higher power to subscribe to that we have who we have. We rolled a nat 20 when we got our Sheikh.

It just looks like everything about CFC is broken beyond the capacity for any one manager to mend. You wouldn't think that a club that has the monetary and geographic advantages that they have could be such an utter shambles.

So many things go into making a top manager and a top club. You could insert the best available tactician who is capable of managing big egos in a dressing room... But who will he report to? Management? Or is it directly to the Owner? Under what structure? Who is in charge of their player acquisitions and evaluations? Who is in charge of their finances?

Remember to thank whichever higher power to subscribe to that we have who we have. We rolled a nat 20 when we got our Sheikh.

I really don’t think they’re that broken.

They just need a preseason and a transfer window.

It’s mad that Potter has gone before he got a preseason or a chance to offload the dead wood.

Mudryk Lukaku Sterling
Kante Enzo Kovacic
Chilwell Fofana Silva James
[a decent keeper]

Is a great side when the players are in form. How do they get in form? Playing regularly under a decent manager.

Then pick 10 more players for the bench and a few kids and you’ve got a great squad.

They really only need a back up for Kante and a good Keeper.

I really don’t think they’re that broken.

They just need a preseason and a transfer window.

It’s mad that Potter has gone before he got a preseason or a chance to offload the dead wood.

Mudryk Lukaku Sterling
Kante Enzo Kovacic
Chilwell Fofana Silva James
[a decent keeper]

Is a great side when the players are in form. How do they get in form? Playing regularly under a decent manager.

Then pick 10 more players for the bench and a few kids and you’ve got a great squad.

They really only need a back up for Kante and a good Keeper.
I get what you're saying and I agree that the roadmap to turning them the right way seems clear...

...but that implies that they're able to buy and sell and then manage in a stable mode that they seem fundamentally incapable of at the various levels of Management/Directorship/Ownership which would be required.

Chelsea haven't made any wise choices in their recruitment. Signing their new players on lengthy contracts is a huge problem, especially if they don't click.

I get what you're saying and I agree that the roadmap to turning them the right way seems clear...

...but that implies that they're able to buy and sell and then manage in a stable mode that they seem fundamentally incapable of at the various levels of Management/Directorship/Ownership which would be required.

I think Boehly has lost his nerve and fired Potter too early, but they will hire someone good and just through timing alone they’ll get a preseason and that will solve a lot of their issues.

The cost of players is only a tiny part of any recruitment strategy.

It's about getting the right type of player, with the right temperament who is capable of fitting in to a new environment, with a willingness to adapt to the training methods, the staff and be able to get on with their new team mates - all at the RIGHT PRICE. Some of those attributes are a bit of a gamble, but on the whole, City have been VERY good at getting it right. I don't think we've really overspent on anyone in recent years, except perhaps he who should not be named (currently not in the squad, and never likely to be again). Cancelo came at a good price, but appears to be lacking when it comes to temperament.

The Chav's on the other hand have been the epitome of 'splash the cash', which doesn't appear to be working out too well for them right now.
I'd agree with this. We have got it right because the club do the background first. A new signing is someone we usually know a little about, just enough to form an opinion. But the club will know everything there is to know about him, mentally and physically. They will know about his private life, his injury record and his temperament.
They do all this long before player puts pen to paper, obviously because it is a financial investment from the owners' viewpoint.

Now compare that with the way the rags/dippers and of course Chelsea seem operate - essentially, throw enough darts at the board and you'll eventually hit the bullseye.
Case in point, Sancho for the vermin scum, to name but one. Decent enough but he's nowhere near as good as he likes to think he is. He could have blossomed with the right tutelage if he'd stayed with us but it seems he became a bit of a billy-bigtime with his demands for more playing time, etc. The rags paid the best part of £79 million for him and now they are sick of his attitude and want shot.

We as a club are a well oiled, well maintained engine: purring along very nicely, thank you. The verminous two are like rusty old MoT failures - is it worth spending on getting the old banger up and running again or just admit defeat and make your way to the nearest new-car salesroom?

I think Boehly has lost his nerve and fired Potter too early, but they will hire someone good and just through timing alone they’ll get a preseason and that will solve a lot of their issues.
Potter seems to be a reasonable manager. He got thrown into a blender and would have greatly benefited from a quality sporting director.

Potter is made for Leicester atm. There were a number a reasons he wasn't going to be good for Chelsea short term. Wouldn't rule out him going back to Brighton when Bloom rinses the Chavs in compensation for De Zerbie.

Would any British person with zero knowledge of The NFL or MLB buy an American Football or Baseball team?

Why do Americans buy football clubs when they clearly have no knowledge of how to run one?
FSG has been able to win things with Liverpool. You can learn how other cultures and countries operate. It isn't impossible if you have the humility to do it. Remember Boehly went to the LSE, so it isn't all that surprising that he feels he could operate in Britain. The question becomes whether he has the humility to take his lumps and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.