Chelsea Thread - 2022/23 | Pochettino confirmed as new manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess as to why some Chelsea fans may not like him right now is mostly because we've been terrible since he took over. If we turn things around next season and return to being a force, then I suspect Boehly will be lauded by the SB faithful and all the pain of this season will be forgotten.

Let's face it, popularity in football is inextricably linked to on-field success.

You're most likely right, and Chelsea fans aren't exactly known for their patience and clear-mindedness, so it would be completely on brand for some of us to already dislike him before he's managed to get properly settled in.

When you take a step back from the everything and view the whole picture with everything that has happened from this time last year to now, it's a lot - Ukraine war, forced and hostile ownership change, lost key players to free agency, then the transfer window opened immediately after the takeover was complete and then first clashes with high ranking personnel hold over from the previous ownership and then coach fired whilst trying to rebuild a proper football structure from ground up. All of this in the span of about 4-5 months.

The mistake they made was trying to do too much too quickly. There was no need to spend 300m in the summer immediately after the takeover other than wanting to be seen making a statement to the fans. A more measured approach would have been much better but oh well, we're here now and hopefully with the structure now in place, if they get the right manager in (Luis Enrique), hopefully we'll start trending upwards.

You're most likely right, and Chelsea fans aren't exactly known for their patience and clear-mindedness, so it would be completely on brand for some of us to already dislike him before he's managed to get properly settled in.

When you take a step back from the everything and view the whole picture with everything that has happened from this time last year to now, it's a lot - Ukraine war, forced and hostile ownership change, lost key players to free agency, then the transfer window opened immediately after the takeover was complete and then first clashes with high ranking personnel hold over from the previous ownership and then coach fired whilst trying to rebuild a proper football structure from ground up. All of this in the span of about 4-5 months.

The mistake they made was trying to do too much too quickly. There was no need to spend 300m in the summer immediately after the takeover other than wanting to be seen making a statement to the fans. A more measured approach would have been much better but oh well, we're here now and hopefully with the structure now in place, if they get the right manager in (Luis Enrique), hopefully we'll start trending upwards.
I think you are bang on. I think the 300m summer spend was almost certainly a statement move. I think Boehly & Co will learn from their mistakes and we'll be back. I really don't think we're as far away from being competitive again as the media and rival fans like to say we are.

We are aligned on everything, except that I prefer Nagelsmann :)

He an opportunist, he has got a wonderous deal. An established money making team, with shed loads of young players, he can flog. Prime real estate that when (not if), he moves you, will likely cover the new stadium.
It is very similar to FSG buying the dippers (another steal), but not as dirty.
His overly hands on approach is not what you want, or need.

The only reason Yanks have got involved in the EPL is to line their pockets, shift money round and provide money laundering services to those that can afford it.

None of them would do 1% of what Roman did.

He an opportunist, he has got a wonderous deal. An established money making team, with shed loads of young players, he can flog. Prime real estate that when (not if), he moves you, will likely cover the new stadium.

The only reason Yanks have got involved in the EPL is to line their pockets, shift money round and provide money laundering services to those that can afford it.

He tried to buy Chelsea in 2019 but Abramovich said no. Which shoots the opportunist theory dead I think.

I think you are bang on. I think the 300m summer spend was almost certainly a statement move. I think Boehly & Co will learn from their mistakes and we'll be back. I really don't think we're as far away from being competitive again as the media and rival fans like to say we are.

We are aligned on everything, except that I prefer Nagelsmann :)

I certainly hope so.

He tried to buy Chelsea in 2019 but Abramovich said no. Which shoots the opportunist theory dead I think.

What changed was Zelenskyy getting elected premier in 2019, and the west targeting all those linked to Putin. Boehly would have been made aware of this which is why Roman knocked back his joke of an offer, fast forward and its no longer a joke offer, as he has no choice. Opportunist.
Still a new 80,0000 seater stadium wont be bad.

I think your assessment of Boehly is a little on the cynical side. I do however agree that an overly hands-on approach isn't what we need in the longer term. Hopefully when the dust settles and we find a manager to take us forward he'll step back a bit. I suspect he will. You can't blame the guy for being a little hands-on when he and his buddies have just invested 5 billion.

I don't think it's fair to bunch together all American owners as having the same drivers, any more than it's fair to bunch together all Gulf-based owners.

Last edited:
Yes they didn't have a good director of football, but who had way back when Txiki started to craft his magic.

Maybe it's very difficult to unearth a Txiki? And that's why the Glaziers have been stuck giving managers exactly what they ask for or Chelsea getting exactly what Boehly wanted? They just don't have someone as genius. So in that case can you blame them. They are only trying their best, the poor sods.
They didn’t give managers what they asked for, and if they had and it went just as badly then I’d have more sympathy for them for that;

They gave Ed Woodward exactly what he asked for, and that’s a different thing. He has no background in the game, and is clueless.

Of course, not everyone will unearth a Txiki, and at first neither did we. ADUG started by trusting in managers and truly backing them (Hughes, Mancini), and then there was one window under Mancini before Txiki came that was led by a director, Brian Marwood. That window was a relatively huge flop for us, and we acted quickly, he took a different role upstairs that he’s performing well and in came Txiki, but at least Brian was steeped in the game before we hired him.

The bad transfers and bad hiring practises aren’t my main gripe with the Glazers at all, it’s a long list (main point revolves around debt, it’s role in the takeover, and also being part of the cartel & designing the crooked version of ffp) and I’ve given some other points on the Glazers above; but on this particular issue with them, there are plenty of middle of the road types to hire as director that don’t have to be a Txiki but aren’t an Ed either.

Fwiw I think they’ve made a somewhat better choice with his successor and former deputy. I also believe if they stuck with the original plan for Rangnick it would have worked much better than making him interim manager as a prelude to that role and then dumping him altogether.

What changed was Zelenskyy getting elected premier in 2019, and the west targeting all those linked to Putin. Boehly would have been made aware of this which is why Roman knocked back his joke of an offer, fast forward and its no longer a joke offer, as he has no choice. Opportunist.
Still a new 80,0000 seater stadium wont be bad.

You think the offer of 2.2b was a joke offer? How much do think Chelsea is actually worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.