Chelsea Thread - 2022/23 | Pochettino confirmed as new manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's with the love Pochettino gets in Europe? A coach that never won anything of note. The literal definition of mediocrity. Gallardo >>>>>>>>>> Pochettino, just to name an example.
I don't think you'll find many Chelsea fans professing love for Pochettino. After all, he's a Spud, at least until such time as he proves otherwise.

I'd guess that most Chels are like me - pragmatic about the appointment given where we've been since the change of ownership.

I don't know much about Gallardo, except for the fact he's been super successful so far in Argentina.

His name was mentioned in the media as a possible for us and who knows if there was ever any actual contact, but bringing someone in with no European experience would've been another big gamble.

And when you've already gambled and lost, the last thing you want to do is place another risky bet.

As I've said here already, I think Poch represents one of the safer options for us at this point. He knows the Prem, speaks good English, and has experience of managing at the top level.

All in all I want to take this appointment as a sign that Boehly has had a word with himself and decided to make a safer bet in order to restore some order to a club that did not know this level of chaos under the previous management.

I don't understand what you're saying here.
Of course I can't pretend to know the inner workings at Chelsea but it looks as if an American owner without much knowledge of the game has been signing players right and left, and going through managers at a worrying rate. (That said, the management structure wasn't too stable even before the Boehly takeover.) So my point was about his source of information - who advises him? If he imagines that he can find the answers by consulting himself then things don't look good. To be honest I haven't much idea how long City's owners spent learning about the club, the place, its fans and English football in general. Nor do I know where they sought advice, but it does look as if they were well advised. Back to the beginning: who advises Boehly? There are rumours that James Corden has Boehly's ear, which seems unikley, but then Corden, a West Ham supporter, is also an actor and a comedian, so who knows?

Of course I can't pretend to know the inner workings at Chelsea but it looks as if an American owner without much knowledge of the game has been signing players right and left, and going through managers at a worrying rate. (That said, the management structure wasn't too stable even before the Boehly takeover.) So my point was about his source of information - who advises him? If he imagines that he can find the answers by consulting himself then things don't look good. To be honest I haven't much idea how long City's owners spent learning about the club, the place, its fans and English football in general. Nor do I know where they sought advice, but it does look as if they were well advised. Back to the beginning: who advises Boehly? There are rumours that James Corden has Boehly's ear, which seems unikley, but then Corden, a West Ham supporter, is also an actor and a comedian, so who knows?
Chelsea have a team of people, just like every other top club.

And just like every other top club, I'd guess that the owner has ultimate sign-off on big appointments.

As a fan of another team it's easy to have a bit of a laugh at Chelsea right now, and fair play.

However, despite Boehly having made some rookie mistakes in his first year at the helm, he's shown he's willing to back us with serious funds, and that's a good thing going forward.

I don't suppose Mansour got it right from day 1 either. It's taken a little time.

Chelsea have a team of people, just like every other top club.

And just like every other top club, I'd guess that the owner has ultimate sign-off on big appointments.

As a fan of another team it's easy to have a bit of a laugh at Chelsea right now, and fair play.

However, despite Boehly having made some rookie mistakes in his first year at the helm, he's shown he's willing to back us with serious funds, and that's a good thing going forward.

I don't suppose Mansour got it right from day 1 either. It's taken a little time.
Mansour has done exactly the right thing and stayed out since day 1.

Mansour has done exactly the right thing and stayed out since day 1.
Yeah, okay. You're choosing to focus on one point of criticism of Boehly in order to contrast it favourably with your owner.

My point is that I'm sure Mansour has likely made mistakes too, albeit different ones. It's easy to judge when your club is stable and established in it's identity.

You might also consider that Mansour did not take over with such the level of expectation as Boehly is under.

City had won f all in recent history when Mansour arrived. It was similar at Chelsea when Abramovich arrived, notwithstanding that we did have some recent domestic and European trophies, and were already finishing in the top 4 or so.

Yeah, okay. You're choosing to focus on one point of criticism of Boehly in order to contrast it favourably with your owner.

My point is that I'm sure Mansour has likely made mistakes too, albeit different ones. It's easy to judge when your club is stable and established in it's identity.

You might also consider that Mansour did not take over with such the level of expectation as Boehly is under.

City had won f all in recent history when Mansour arrived. It was similar at Chelsea when Abramovich arrived, notwithstanding that we did have some recent domestic and European trophies, and were already finishing in the top 4 or so.
No mate, Mansour hasn't gotten involved. He bought the club, appointed Khaldoon Al Mubarak to run it and stayed out after that. Khaldoon in turn appointed footballing people to run the club (Brian Marwood, Txiki Berigistain and to a lesser extent Ferran Soriano) and just oversees them as chairman. Both men know their limitations.

Expectation?
I suspect the realistic expectation at Chelsea at the moment is premier league survival next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.