Cheltenham Town (A) | Post-Match Thread

Great typical Cup game credit to CTFC for their effort; though our need to give minutes to our players coming from injury and illness could've been our undoing on some other times; but Pep knows better.

That said, can we get rid of the time-to-get-rid-of-Mendy-Mahrez-Cancelo-Gundo-Pep-you-name-it brigade? Boring 2@s litanies.

Swans will be easier.

I don’t know why Mendy is getting dumped on so hard. I just rewatched the first half and he had some pretty solid contributions. Obviously unfortunate to be denied a goal by the defender on the line. He had a good through ball in to Torres that the defender played well and hit a no touch cross from a Foden switch in the 26’ that almost put Torres in.

Mahrez on the other hand reminded me of a poor man’s Penaldo. Like PR7, he doesn’t do much on the defensive side, prefers to dribble rather than pass and takes shots from all over the park. Unlike him, he has no weak foot, is weak and gets pushed off the ball, his ball control needs work and generally has poor awareness. Pep’s system just doesn’t suit him well

I watched the game and the MOTD highlights and I didn’t hear one mention of the crowdfunder donations our fans made, in fact all I hear was how sad it was that Cheltenham missed out because of the pandemic and how they have no money coming in. Why would the media not take an opportunity to paint us fans or our club in a positive light?...;)

Thought mahrez was shite to be honest but will give him credit for his outstanding control from laportes diagonal passes! His touch is ridiculous! Unfortunately though seems to have lost that burst of pace over the first 5 yards and is a shithouse in the tackle

Some fucking ridiculous comments on here.

We played a team for whom was not just a game, not even their cup final, it was the game of their lives. Leaving NOTHING on the pitch.

And we fielded a team with 10 changes. 10. Players who have barely had s kick in weeks.

In this context this is a solid result. La Porte wasn't great but what do you expect after a long lay off? Mendy actually looked half decent at times, which makes a change.

Mahrez was actually OK, other than his usual being knocked off the ball like a 12 year old girl. But that's just Mahrez. He absolutely needs to man up.
Completely agree. Matches like this is why the FA cup has been so great over the years, teams will raise their level and players will perform like they have have never before and most may never again. Those players were just happy to give us a game. I actually think it’s harder to play these teams than it is against a prem team for a cup match because they have nothing to lose. Don’t think we can read to much into the individual performance from today, except for Mahrez who just isn’t good enough for this team imo.

Not sure why Jesus isn't getting more attention for a shocking performance...and I hate to pick on any player that pulls on the shirt, but after four years, he still hasn't really understood how Pep wants to play - maybe he would be be ok if we played two up front - but his recent lack of finishing is just really poor.

Foden class. Cancelo and Gundog having a great bit of form, and shot out to Cheltenham - for the gaffer to the Chairman, a classy club.

As for Murphy and the BBC...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.