Cheltenham Town (A) | Post-Match Thread

Good point. I know Tozer claimed that he thought Cheltenham had City a bit rattled but, if they did, it didn't last long and City stayed pretty calm. May have helped bringing Gundo and Dias on in terms of influencing that.

In some ways, that last ten minutes or so was the most encouraging I've seen this season.
It was brilliant. It was like “ok well played But don’t fuck with us” and we just stepped up a gear. Loved it

I always get the impression that Pep enjoys going to these places he's never heard of, to tiny, obscure grounds, for a "real" game of football, he always mentions how football clubs like Cheltenham Town, dotted all over the country, are so much a part of their community and English football history. He's a football man to his bones after all.

We might not thinks twice about this country being the home of football, the history stretching back centuries, but when Pep says he loves walking the team out for the FA Cup Final, the oldest national football cup competition in the world, founded in 1871, I get the impression he really means it.
I'm told we played them in a friendly in the mid 90s. I can't see us getting overseas moneyspinner tours in the Covid era, so book a pre-season match for next season.

You just need to read the Foden thread to see a lot weren’t.

I agree with the sentiment he has managed him perfectly though.

the city fans wanting foden playing at 17 was being lead by the media just like the sancho army
but foden was not good enough or ready for premier league football just like sancho was not

the german league is no where near the same level as premier league and sancho looked a good player in the first couple of seasons. but i think he as level off a bit and can he reach the next levels foden at right now ?? yes its a hard call but pep is the right manager to call it and stand by what ever he says. if you don't listen and learn from pep advice then like sancho you are gone and moved out

would be good to keep a eye on both over the next 10 years and see and judge what they both have won at club levels

Marhez along with Mendy and Garcia is a shirt thief.
Don’t 100% agree about Mahrez. He does some great stuff in small doses eg the ball for Jesus in the first minute was brilliant. He just doesn’t have the fight for a pep team and is too selfish. The other two I agree. I loved mendy when he first came. Real character. But he just annoys me now. I don’t think he’s right in the head enough to be a top player.

Absolutely dreadful performance, very lucky to sneak through.
Mahrez, Laporte, Mendy complete rubbish again.
Looked like we thought we could just turn up and win in the first half.
Pep got the team completely wrong in my eyes. Needed 1 of Stones and Dias for sure to start.
Pick the strongest side and then make changes, let's hope he has learnt a lesson.
He will always do this but 10 changes is far to many especially when a fair few hadn’t had any game time in some weeks. A harsh on Laporte as he fits into that category. Words fail me on Mendy. I was quite infuriated by his lack of desire to chase back and that was in the first 5 mins. Mahrez is a complete shithouse and knew he would get roughed up at that level whereas prem league games see players get more protection. However it doesn’t matter when you score and if the goals had come earlier a lot on here wouldn’t be complaining. A win is a win!

I always get the impression that Pep enjoys going to these places he's never heard of, to tiny, obscure grounds, for a "real" game of football, he always mentions how football clubs like Cheltenham Town, dotted all over the country, are so much a part of their community and English football history. He's a football man to his bones after all.

We might not think twice about this country being the home of football, the history stretching back centuries, but when Pep says he loves walking the team out for the FA Cup Final, the oldest national football cup competition in the world, founded in 1871, I get the impression he really means it.
In his first season wasn't he seen at a local cup game even when we weren't going to be playing then? I have a vague memory of them cutting to him in the box, and he just screams of someone who would do that on his day off.

I'm told we played them in a friendly in the mid 90s. I can't see us getting overseas moneyspinner tours in the Covid era, so book a pre-season match for next season.
were you at York or just "virtually at York" (but actually in the house) like most people

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1611491617294.jpg
    FB_IMG_1611491617294.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 38
It wasn't a great watch was it? I don't know how much was down to Cheltenham and how much was down to us playing reserve and returning from injury players but the whole thing looked off from the start (other than the Jesus chance 15 seconds in).

As others have alluded to, some of these players should have been showing Pep why they should be displacing our usual 11 and I think I can confidently say none of them will.

Steffen and Phil both had a good game as did the subs but it really was an eye opener if we have to dip into the squad during the season.

Mendy - didn't think he was awful but he should have had a field day out there, pace and confidence is gone which leaves us with a technically subpar left back.
Mahrez - if you can't beat a L2 defender what hope have we really got? Some nice touches and some passes but when we compare him to some wide players we've had in the last few years he is underwhelming. If Leroy was still with us then I'm sure we can all imagine how much harder their left back would have fared.
THB - shouldn't have been played at right back, struggled with it and you could see how uncomfortable he was. It basically meant we were a man down pushing up the right side.

Glad we're through but I certainly won't be watching the repeat. Enjoy the rest of the weekend blues.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.