Chess

mackenzie said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
The friend who taught me to play Chess was the same one who got me supporting City.

As someone said, learn the tricks of the middle game first as the openings tend to be formulaic. I suspect it's quite natural to be fairly reactive when you start but the more you play, the more you become familiar with different scenarios, learn to recognise them and think ahead.

My son has always been excellent with maths PB. I never was, although it has not hindered me in adult life. I am crap at practical stuff though.

Do you think chess is easier if your brain is more maths inclined?
Definitely yes. I used to play at school against a guy who went on to become a Chess Grandmaster and is now a Professor of Mathematics at Imperial College. So there's definitely a link. I guess it's the ability to think logically and follow calculated sequences.

Happy Xmas by the way. Hope you have a good one and a great 2011.

Prestwich_Blue said:
mackenzie said:
My son has always been excellent with maths PB. I never was, although it has not hindered me in adult life. I am crap at practical stuff though.

Do you think chess is easier if your brain is more maths inclined?
Definitely yes. I used to play at school against a guy who went on to become a Chess Grandmaster and is now a Professor of Mathematics at Imperial College. So there's definitely a link. I guess it's the ability to think logically and follow calculated sequences.

the qualities go hand in hand, but knowing maths is not a prerequisite of being good at chess, there is no mathematical aspect to the game, its just that people with a good grasp of chess are also showing the same qualites as maths people.

burning blue soul said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

the qualities go hand in hand, but knowing maths is not a prerequisite of being good at chess, there is no mathematical aspect to the game, its just that people with a good grasp of chess are also showing the same qualites as maths people.

Thanks for both answers. It kind of explains it, although I have always thought that must be the case. My son was rated as one of the top Maths students in the borough for his age when he was at secondary school and was able to learn chess so easily. He has tried to teach me over the years, but I am more inclined towards words and literature and it just won't go into my skull. I seem to have a blank spot when it comes to stuff like that, although my ability at mental arithmetic has always been second to none.

PB....a Very Merry Christmas to you and yours too xx

This is a wonderful thread.

To answer mackenzie, no you do not need to be mathematically minded. Practice, practice and more practice, is what is needed in chess.

For anyone who is interested in starting chess or is generally, a beginner, this man has a wonderful youtube page:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/user/jrobichess" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/user/jrobichess</a>

Very helpful and insightful, you learn along with him. :)

Great game, we used to play it for pints at Uni

Strange as it may sound but I have to play white!!

Love strategy games (PC games, Stratego, Risk, total war) and I reckon that communication through games bring people closer.

ludo and draughts with people who I can't interact with, but challenge anyone here to play me at connect 4

Backgammon.. AKA Shesh Besh

Your move , 2 & 1 (shite dice) ;-)

[bigimg]http://www.supershareware.com/images/screenshot/Backgammon_Classic-83172.jpg[/bigimg]

Played chess as a kid (tbh found it a bit boring) , then at the age of twelve I was taught how to play backgammon...never looked back. Can't remember the last time I played chess, was many moons ago.

Mada-MCFC-adaM said:
Blue Lloyd said:
^
This bloke is a total Thundergeek when it comes to chess.

So frustrating when as a nine year old he fucking kills you hands down.

Hahaha, cheers mate!!

But it's not fair when i play a nine year olds!

You've got a brain there Lloyd for games like this! A bit of practice and you'd be as good as me and your Dad!

I might take a chess board to Camp America, teach the young yanks, and for my travels afterwards. Long journeys on coaches and trains and invite travelers to join me in a game to pass the time....hmmmm, what a good idea, hahaha.

Taking a thinking game to America,to play with the locals?
Good luck ;-)

pee dubya said:
I've hardly ever played chess, but i was bored just there and had a few goes against the computer. I'm shite at it, apparently the aim is to plan your moves ahead, but i just...can't. Is the ability to think several moves ahead a skill you can learn or is a kind of midset you're stuck with? Through blind luck i managed to win at the 4th attempt on the beginner setting, but everything i do tend to reactionary or at the very best i can think ahead to the next move. Is it the kind of thing that i'd get better at with practice or am i always destined to be shit at it?

I'm assuming there's some people here who like it and play regularly, perhaps i just don't have the patience.

Also generally in life, i tend to do things as they come, rather than plan ahead in detail, do those people who are good at chess tend to have everything organised and planned out in their life as well?

backgammon might be more your game then - have you tried that?

Stuart said:
Backgammon.. AKA Shesh Besh

Your move , 2 & 1 (shite dice) ;-)

[bigimg]http://www.supershareware.com/images/screenshot/Backgammon_Classic-83172.jpg[/bigimg]

Played chess as a kid (tbh found it a bit boring) , then at the age of twelve I was taught how to play backgammon...never looked back. Can't remember the last time I played chess, was many moons ago.

fancy getting together to throw a few when I'm next in town?

;o)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.