Chinese Consortium invests $400m in CFG

The earthquake that shook football on 1st September 2008 was so big, so huge, so all encompassing, that it was simply too huge to be measured by any traditional yardstick.

What everybody initially believed - including let's be honest most if not all City fans - was that we had 'simply' been bought by a very very rich man, who would no doubt use some of his enormous fortune to take the club to previously unimaginable heights of excellence on the pitch, and maybe if we were very lucky, to invest in the clubs infrastructure along the way.

The old elites and their fans scoffed and moaned in equal measure but their underlying belief was, until perhaps even today, "we've seen off this sort of thing before. Blackburn, Chelsea, Dortmund, Forest, Villa. We've been the dominant forces in English and European football for generations. Sure this lot might win a title or two. A few cups even, and you never know, they might even do well in Europe given time, but then, eventually, order will restore itself and they will sink back into the abyss. Sure as eggs is eggs"

They scoffed at the CFA ("not yet produced a regular first teamer" / "FFP dodge"). They really really believed that FFP had sorted these upstarts out. "Show me a sponsor who isn't an Arab" they screamed with not even an attempt to disguise there xenophobia, "that's the measure of a big club" they laughed.

And then they, and us, woke up this morning and saw the football landscape for what it truly is. And what it will continue to be for years, even generations, to come.

Ours.

We dont have an owner who wants the best team. We don't have an owner who wants the best club. We have an owner who wants (and will most definitely get) to completely change the face of the game and how it is run as well as the best team and club.

Today was one more step on that journey and to all those who laughed, and scorned, and ignored, and cheated in order to preserve their bent, immoral, corrupt hold on the game....

This is just the beginning. There is more to come. Your time is over.
Wow. And I recall you've been accused of being a rag.

Well written.

No we haven't. This has no impact on FFP whatsoever as it's a corporate deal involving CFG and nothing to do with Manchester City.
But as you alluded to earlier in the day, City should be able to leverage commercial deals off the back of this investment. Chinese football fans are more likely to associate and identify with MCFC now so you'd think MCFC will become more popular with potential sponsors.

No we haven't. This has no impact on FFP whatsoever as it's a corporate deal involving CFG and nothing to do with Manchester City.

People need to understand this point: if this were to have had an impact on FFP, the sheikh could have already just issued more shares to himself. But it doesn't matter a jot because FFP is behind us, and will nor bother us again.

This does act as more proof, should it be needed, that the club and its revenue is going to continue to grow and grow.

Never thought I would say this about a David Conn piece. But what a great read.
Tbf, he couldn't continue with his one man 'I long for the days of Maine Road when we were shit' mantra any longer. Conn the pony has pulled his one trick and was in serious danger of being sectioned if he continued to decry the advancement of Manchester City. Even Conn must have realised there was no one left interested enough to listen to him.

The world has moved on, City have evolved and in order for Conn to survive he either had to go with the shifting winds of time, or fuck off and find a new career. I was hoping for the latter, but even if he is a late arrival to our party, as they say better late than never.

The big Chinese social media platform is Weibo. On Weibo, City have a whopping 8.1m followers! The rags have 8.5m, and that's before today's news. The potential for City in China seems almost limitless now.

The Red Cafe thread on this really is something else. Fantastic stuff.

I'm loving it too.

My personal favourite (you see it on rawk a lot too) is the old "I live in China/New York/kuala lumpur/Sydney etc and you never see a city shirt"

What these thick, ignorant, fools fail to realise, indeed are incapable of EVER comprehending , is that their world view is the VERY reason they are ultimately doomed to come off second best in the long run.

It's a view that has permeated their clubs for decades.

'Let's keep the colonials happy. We can sell a few shirts, travel for pre season friendlies every year or two and we will be just fine'. They have been guilty of gross patronisation.

They completely failed to understand that the "United/Liverpool/Arsenal fans etc in China and the Far East" aren't fans of those clubs at all. They are fans of the "team that is currently successful in England"

They didn't see it then and they don't see it now. Whoring your club with a media blitz every year or two is great for short term gain. City though (and even though this news today was a huge surprise it really shouldn't have been when you look at our owners) have taken the decidedly longer term and more professional view.

We haven't tried to sell our club as just another successful English team for the locals to love for a year or two. We've invited the entire country into our club, into our "group". We haven't patted them on the head and said "thanks for your support. See you in a couple of years. Oh, and here is a great soft drink for you to drink"

Remember Gill stating with a smirk "City will never be as big as Utd in SE Asia"? I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest he won't be smirking tonight. The ****.

We have said "we are building something special here.come along, see what you think, and if you like it you can get in on the ground floor. And stay for years"

The truly scary thing for the old elites is that it will take years yet for the scope of what has happened today to be fully realised. And when they do, it will be too late.

So, to any Red lurkers reading this... Those wearing Utd shirts today will have forgotten who you are in another few years. They won't just be wearing city shirts in the future, or eating "city noodles washed down with a City soft drink" they will be watching the city TV channel, and going to see Hong Kong City FC, who will have players that look like them, and speak their language. They will be following an organisation that they can feel belongs to them

We did that. City.

You took them for granted and payback is coming.

I'm loving it too.

My personal favourite (you see it on rawk a lot too) is the old "I live in China/New York/kuala lumpur/Sydney etc and you never see a city shirt"

What these thick, ignorant, fools fail to realise, indeed are incapable of EVER comprehending , is that their world view is the VERY reason they are ultimately doomed to come off second best in the long run.

It's a view that has permeated their clubs for decades.

'Let's keep the colonials happy. We can sell a few shirts, travel for pre season friendlies every year or two and we will be just fine'. They have been guilty of gross patronisation.

They completely failed to understand that the "United/Liverpool/Arsenal fans etc in China and the Far East" aren't fans of those clubs at all. They are fans of the "team that is currently successful in England"

They didn't see it then and they don't see it now. Whoring your club with a media blitz every year or two is great for short term gain. City though (and even though this news today was a huge surprise it really shouldn't have been when you look at our owners) have taken the decidedly longer term and more professional view.

We haven't tried to sell our club as just another successful English team for the locals to love for a year or two. We've invited the entire country into our club, into our "group". We haven't patted them on the head and said "thanks for your support. See you in a couple of years. Oh, and here is a great soft drink for you to drink"

Remember Gill stating with a smirk "City will never be as big as Utd in SE Asia"? I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest he won't be smirking tonight. The ****.

We have said "we are building something special here.come along, see what you think, and if you like it you can get in on the ground floor. And stay for years"

The truly scary thing for the old elites is that it will take years yet for the scope of what has happened today to be fully realised. And when they do, it will be too late.

So, to any Red lurkers reading this... Those wearing Utd shirts today will have forgotten who you are in another few years. They won't just be wearing city shirts in the future, or eating "city noodles washed down with a City soft drink" they will be watching the city TV channel, and going to see Hong Kong City FC, who will have players that look like them, and speak their language. They will be following an organisation that they can feel belongs to them

We did that. City.

You took them for granted and payback is coming.
You're on fire tonight, pal :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.