Chinese Consortium invests $400m in CFG

The earthquake that shook football on 1st September 2008 was so big, so huge, so all encompassing, that it was simply too huge to be measured by any traditional yardstick.

What everybody initially believed - including let's be honest most if not all City fans - was that we had 'simply' been bought by a very very rich man, who would no doubt use some of his enormous fortune to take the club to previously unimaginable heights of excellence on the pitch, and maybe if we were very lucky, to invest in the clubs infrastructure along the way.

The old elites and their fans scoffed and moaned in equal measure but their underlying belief was, until perhaps even today, "we've seen off this sort of thing before. Blackburn, Chelsea, Dortmund, Forest, Villa. We've been the dominant forces in English and European football for generations. Sure this lot might win a title or two. A few cups even, and you never know, they might even do well in Europe given time, but then, eventually, order will restore itself and they will sink back into the abyss. Sure as eggs is eggs"

They scoffed at the CFA ("not yet produced a regular first teamer" / "FFP dodge"). They really really believed that FFP had sorted these upstarts out. "Show me a sponsor who isn't an Arab" they screamed with not even an attempt to disguise there xenophobia, "that's the measure of a big club" they laughed.

And then they, and us, woke up this morning and saw the football landscape for what it truly is. And what it will continue to be for years, even generations, to come.

Ours.

We dont have an owner who wants the best team. We don't have an owner who wants the best club. We have an owner who wants (and will most definitely get) to completely change the face of the game and how it is run as well as the best team and club.

Today was one more step on that journey and to all those who laughed, and scorned, and ignored, and cheated in order to preserve their bent, immoral, corrupt hold on the game....

This is just the beginning. There is more to come. Your time is over.

As a supporter for almost 50 years, the football since the takeover has generally been up there with the best I've ever seen from City. To top it off with trophies, and they were never part of any contract with my love for City, has put the icing on the cake. But to have serious business plans that put the rest under serious pressure and map out a professional management vision of the future is something I don't think we've ever had. If you are a young Blue at this moment in time, I'm not sure any of us have had a better future than you have.

Thank you Sheik Mansour

The earthquake that shook football on 1st September 2008 was so big, so huge, so all encompassing, that it was simply too huge to be measured by any traditional yardstick.

What everybody initially believed - including let's be honest most if not all City fans - was that we had 'simply' been bought by a very very rich man, who would no doubt use some of his enormous fortune to take the club to previously unimaginable heights of excellence on the pitch, and maybe if we were very lucky, to invest in the clubs infrastructure along the way.

The old elites and their fans scoffed and moaned in equal measure but their underlying belief was, until perhaps even today, "we've seen off this sort of thing before. Blackburn, Chelsea, Dortmund, Forest, Villa. We've been the dominant forces in English and European football for generations. Sure this lot might win a title or two. A few cups even, and you never know, they might even do well in Europe given time, but then, eventually, order will restore itself and they will sink back into the abyss. Sure as eggs is eggs"

They scoffed at the CFA ("not yet produced a regular first teamer" / "FFP dodge"). They really really believed that FFP had sorted these upstarts out. "Show me a sponsor who isn't an Arab" they screamed with not even an attempt to disguise there xenophobia, "that's the measure of a big club" they laughed.

And then they, and us, woke up this morning and saw the football landscape for what it truly is. And what it will continue to be for years, even generations, to come.

Ours.

We dont have an owner who wants the best team. We don't have an owner who wants the best club. We have an owner who wants (and will most definitely get) to completely change the face of the game and how it is run as well as the best team and club.

Today was one more step on that journey and to all those who laughed, and scorned, and ignored, and cheated in order to preserve their bent, immoral, corrupt hold on the game....

Fuck me I`m in bits after reading that.Kazz.Great piece.Now get on Rag Cafe and cut and paste the fucker. ;)

I still can't come to terms with how amazing the people running our club are, even after several years to adjust! Ferran Soriano's vision, his ability to think in ways that nobody else is thinking, to do things in ground-breaking ways, always seeing the big picture... it can't be commended enough. We're so lucky to have him. And then there's Sheikh Mansour. While most owners of football clubs are talking to other clubs, ours is negotiating with entire fucking countries and their governments. I could cry I really could. The way they have transformed City, it's just unbelievable. And I've not even mentioned the likes of Chairman Khaldoon, Tom Glick etc. What a fantastic senior management team we have! The bewildering thing is this will not be the last time they leave the footballing world for dead in revolutionary ways!

I might be off track here but in my view City have always been an education. There were always positives. Even going down..meant getting to travel to new places. I never once felt things wouldnt or couldn't improve...in all my years following City. I suppose what i mean is City can sell entertainment but with more. Secure and fun days out. They're involved in building colleges, homes, swimming pools...the Chinese are talking theme parks etc. What parents wouldn't want their kids going somewhere thats safe and fun? City square, £1 tickets, etc etc etc. So this is part of the model City are selling. Its actually not hard either is it? Its that or the other way.... buy a season ticket and be forced to buy cup tickets. I suppose its a mentality thing.

Ours.

You little beauty!

Its eeery when you go into the CB entrance and see the plaque notifying the stadium was opened by Tony Blair back in the day... And to think how much influence he's since had in dealings with Abu Dhabi and Chinese investment.

Ours.

I absolutely love it. Superb post. And not even overly melodramatic, given the news today. The more it sinks in, the more excited I get. Your central point is one that nobody within our ranks, not even the most cynical pessimistic old school blue, can now have a single doubt about: The Sheikh gets what he wants. He plays in the big fucking League. He's like the ultimate Bond Villain but he is a goodie. Whilst Ed Woodward is begging Bill Konwright to sell him his left back, the President of China is on hold for The Sheikh.

Man alive.

Last edited:
Plenty of legal money in south america. It is a continent. Its like any other place. Lots of wealth...lots of poverty.

Maybe you should email Ferran with your startling discovery ;-)

Of course there is plenty of wealth in South America, and there is plenty of wealth all around the world. But he was talking about middle class disposable income which is so attractive to major international brands.

South America doesn't have the same level of this kind of wealth as the US or Japan. That's not mine or your opinion, it's just a cold hard economic fact.

China is the fastest growing economy and fastest growing middle class in history, it's an obvious territory for us to expand in to.

There is plenty of growth in Brazil and other South American countries, but economically and culturally South America isn't as attractive for us as Asia or the US. Not my words, Sorriano's.

The Red Cafe thread on this really is something else. Fantastic stuff.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.