Chinese OSCs, Shenzhen Blues + Sun Jihai + Shenzhen Peng City FC

Here are a few travel tips for our July match in China.
First of all flights /accommodation.

I generally use Opodo for flights (they also do accommodation ).
For accommodation I use booking.com
I have used these sites many times. (Booked flights to Beijing with Opodo) (once you have fixed the dates /times generally you cannot alter them.)
Booking com offer accommodation to suit all budgets, you don't pay until you stay and some accommodation offers free cancellation almost up to the last minute giving you maximum flexibility.
Trivago is another alternative although I haven't used them as yet.

When in Shanghai if you drink around the Bund area it is expensive, but if you go a little bit out of town you will find café bars which charge about 6RMB per pint bottle (around 75p) The usual brands are available.

If you need to use a taxi then use a licensed one, or negotiate a price with the cabbies that the hotels use.
Licensed taxis are inexpensive and you are not allowed to tip the drivers by law.

If you sit outside the Café bars around the Bund to eat you will be approached by hawkers and beggars - bear in mind that China is still a developing country.

Having attended our match in Beijing vs Arsenal in 2012 it was the case that the stadium was perhaps about half full at best. Outside the Bird's Nest were touts(vendors? ) selling tickets at around 300RMB (£30ish) for tickets with a face value of 1380RMB!
There was no shortage of tickets!!

China will be 7 hours ahead of B.S.T.
in July.

Finally, install a wechat app on your phone, get your family etc to do the same and you can communicate with them for free.

Love China!

Here are a few travel tips for our July match in China.
First of all flights /accommodation.

I generally use Opodo for flights (they also do accommodation ).
For accommodation I use booking.com
I have used these sites many times. (Booked flights to Beijing with Opodo) (once you have fixed the dates /times generally you cannot alter them.)
Booking com offer accommodation to suit all budgets, you don't pay until you stay and some accommodation offers free cancellation almost up to the last minute giving you maximum flexibility.
Trivago is another alternative although I haven't used them as yet.

When in Shanghai if you drink around the Bund area it is expensive, but if you go a little bit out of town you will find café bars which charge about 6RMB per pint bottle (around 75p) The usual brands are available.

If you need to use a taxi then use a licensed one, or negotiate a price with the cabbies that the hotels use.
Licensed taxis are inexpensive and you are not allowed to tip the drivers by law.

If you sit outside the Café bars around the Bund to eat you will be approached by hawkers and beggars - bear in mind that China is still a developing country.

Having attended our match in Beijing vs Arsenal in 2012 it was the case that the stadium was perhaps about half full at best. Outside the Bird's Nest were touts(vendors? ) selling tickets at around 300RMB (£30ish) for tickets with a face value of 1380RMB!
There was no shortage of tickets!!

China will be 7 hours ahead of B.S.T.
in July.

Finally, install a wechat app on your phone, get your family etc to do the same and you can communicate with them for free.

Love China!
Excellent, just the sort of thing I was hoping would be added to the thread, thank you.

Only too happy to help.
I have been to China almost 30 times since my first visit in January 2000 and have gathered a lot of knowledge since .
I am married to a Chinese lady which is invaluable with cultural/language problems.
We have relatives in Beijing amongst other places.

One more thing I thought of after I made my initial post - the high speed CNR train from Beijing South to Shanghai cost 555 RMB (£60) in 2012 - it takes 5hr 20min max to do the 1300km between the two cities.Trains run every 20 minutes and you automatically get a reserved seat.

At main railway /bus stations they have airport style security checks so factor in about 15min for this procedure.
The maglev train from Shanghai PuDong airport to downtown takes about 8 minutes
Both cities have good metro services and are well signed and easy enough to use.
Both cities have their own character, with good reasons to spend a few days in each.

Enjoy.

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/

Internal flights will be the best option for anyone considering attending more than one game.

I'm hoping to get to the Bird's Nest in Beijing again but I won't be going to Shenzhen or Shanghai. Shenzhen is the closest mainland city to Hong Kong btw, there is a border crossing point there at the railway station (having said that, it's six years since I was last there, things may have changed).

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/

Internal flights will be the best option for anyone considering attending more than one game.

I'm hoping to get to the Bird's Nest in Beijing again but I won't be going to Shenzhen or Shanghai. Shenzhen is the closest mainland city to Hong Kong btw, there is a border crossing point there at the railway station (having said that, it's six years since I was last there, things may have changed).
Shanghai? Are we playing three games then?

Thought it was just Beijing and Shenzhen?

Apologies for any confusion.
Having read earlier posts in this thread I was under the impression that we were playing matches in Beijing and Shanghai.
I made my posts with this in mind.
I have since been made aware that we are playing in Shenzhen NOT Shanghai.
However if anyone is travelling to watch the match in Shenzhen only, then they may fly directly to Shanghai and continue from there to Shenzhen so the information on Shanghai could still be useful.
Regarding Shenzhen - I have never been there, so other than being aware that it is a
Special Economic Zone I know nothing at all about it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.