Chinese OSCs, Shenzhen Blues + Sun Jihai + Shenzhen Peng City FC

Only too happy to help.
I have been to China almost 30 times since my first visit in January 2000 and have gathered a lot of knowledge since .
I am married to a Chinese lady which is invaluable with cultural/language problems.
We have relatives in Beijing amongst other places.

One more thing I thought of after I made my initial post - the high speed CNR train from Beijing South to Shanghai cost 555 RMB (£60) in 2012 - it takes 5hr 20min max to do the 1300km between the two cities.Trains run every 20 minutes and you automatically get a reserved seat.

At main railway /bus stations they have airport style security checks so factor in about 15min for this procedure.
The maglev train from Shanghai PuDong airport to downtown takes about 8 minutes
Both cities have good metro services and are well signed and easy enough to use.
Both cities have their own character, with good reasons to spend a few days in each.

Enjoy.
Thank you.

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/

Internal flights will be the best option for anyone considering attending more than one game.

I'm hoping to get to the Bird's Nest in Beijing again but I won't be going to Shenzhen or Shanghai. Shenzhen is the closest mainland city to Hong Kong btw, there is a border crossing point there at the railway station (having said that, it's six years since I was last there, things may have changed).

There is a good ferry service from Shenzen (Shekou) to Hong Kong airport or downtown Hong Kong. I have used this service several times for work.

I've been living in Beijing for the last 2 years and will be around on the date of the derby if there are any blues that want to meet up and get drinks etc.

Out of the 2 I'd recommend Beijing over Shenzhen because it's a better match and a better city.

I visited Shenzhen last year and its a nice enough place but there isn't much happening there except that it's next to Hong Kong. If you do go to the Shenzhen match I'd recommend staying in Hong Kong and crossing the border for the match on the day, it's easy enough transport wise as long as you have the correct visas sorted out. Another thing about Hong Kong and Shenzhen is that they are both quite expensive places (think roughly London prices) compared to most of the rest of China its massively expensive.

With regards to Beijing, great place with a very good expat scene and a ridiculous amount of tourist and cultural attractions to see. It's also not difficult to get to other big cities by train from here (Shanghai is about 3 hours, Xi'an with the terracotta warriors is about 5, Tianjin about 40 mins). I'll post a more in depth guide closer to the match day about the dos and don'ts and places to go for food/drinks etc and what to prepare. There's a lot of bad press about the pollution too, I'm not going to lie, it can be shit sometimes but this is usually in the winter months. Over the last year or so the air quality has improved massively now there are maybe a few very bad days per month and blue skies for most of the summer. The cost of accommodation and food and drinks can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be, this can vary between the sort of prices you'd see in a lot of south east asia (50p for beers, 1-3 quid for a decent meal, £5-10 a night for hostels) and as expensive as central London if you want that sort of thing (theres lots of millionaires in Beijing) unfortunately for me I can't give too many details about the flashier places to visit if that's what you want.

Another thing to consider when booking is that a lot of tourists who come will recruit tour guides to help them. There is trouble with the language barrier, no taxi drivers will speak English, only some of the more expensive restaurants will have staff who speak English, however most of the bars have english speaking staff (At least enough to order a drink anyway). If you are prepared before hand with maps on your phone and a good understanding of what sort of prices you should be paying/ you're pretty experienced travelling it shouldn't be too much of an issue to get around, however if you don't have much experience with this sort of thing it may be worth considering doing this.

If anyone wants to know specific questions about getting around here or what to expect feel free to PM or reply on this and I'll get back to you when I can. Like I said I plan to post a bigger advice piece on Beijing alone closer to the time.

Does anybody know when they will go on sale roughly and what is the best way to buy? I've never been to a pre-season friendly in another country so this is all new to me. Is it the same as regular tickets through the official site?

Looking to go but awaiting the European issue re possible qualifiers. Any of those who drip about points and not being able to get tickets going? Just a thought... I'll get back to my crayons now anyway.

I've been living in Beijing for the last 2 years and will be around on the date of the derby if there are any blues that want to meet up and get drinks etc.

If anyone wants to know specific questions about getting around here or what to expect feel free to PM or reply on this and I'll get back to you when I can. Like I said I plan to post a bigger advice piece on Beijing alone closer to the time.

Does anybody know when they will go on sale roughly and what is the best way to buy? I've never been to a pre-season friendly in another country so this is all new to me. Is it the same as regular tickets through the official site?

Hi mate,
Which part of Beijing are you in? I'm mainly familiar with Dongzeman / Sanlitun District, I only get to Beijing for a couple of days either side of travelling to and from Manchester, two or three times a year.

I was in Beijing for the 2012 friendly against Arsenal, I don't think that the tickets were available on the OS, I don't know how others got the tickets but if I recall correctly I found the website for the promoters - it had a stadium layout online similar to the City OS Ticketing, I identified where I wanted to be, told my stepdaughter (she's Chinese), she phoned them and an hour or so later a guy on a moped rocked up at the hotel with the tickets, I handed over the cash and that was it.

I'd be interested if you could point out any decent watering holes, the Den has closed down, Paddy O'Shea's is OK but very raggy, even though the Irish rag has sold the place to some French bloke. The only other decent place I know of is the Blue Frog in Sanlitun but it isn't a football kind of place.

I was in Shenzhen around 6 years ago, as you say it's OK but of the two I prefer Beijing myself. There were a couple of reasonable Irish bars in Shenzhen and a decent German bar on a concrete encased ship, there was a night club / disco sort of thing in there but I didn't go in, my missus was suggesting it was some sort of den of iniquity...

Oh yes, Shanghai from Beijing in three hours by train? I don't think so mate, more like 5 hours give or take.

This is a good website for making travel arrangements in China, I've posted the link on other China related threads but here it is again: https://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/

Hi mate,
Which part of Beijing are you in? I'm mainly familiar with Dongzeman / Sanlitun District, I only get to Beijing for a couple of days either side of travelling to and from Manchester, two or three times a year.

I was in Beijing for the 2012 friendly against Arsenal, I don't think that the tickets were available on the OS, I don't know how others got the tickets but if I recall correctly I found the website for the promoters - it had a stadium layout online similar to the City OS Ticketing, I identified where I wanted to be, told my stepdaughter (she's Chinese), she phoned them and an hour or so later a guy on a moped rocked up at the hotel with the tickets, I handed over the cash and that was it.

I'd be interested if you could point out any decent watering holes, the Den has closed down, Paddy O'Shea's is OK but very raggy, even though the Irish rag has sold the place to some French bloke. The only other decent place I know of is the Blue Frog in Sanlitun but it isn't a football kind of place.

I was in Shenzhen around 6 years ago, as you say it's OK but of the two I prefer Beijing myself. There were a couple of reasonable Irish bars in Shenzhen and a decent German bar on a concrete encased ship, there was a night club / disco sort of thing in there but I didn't go in, my missus was suggesting it was some sort of den of iniquity...

Oh yes, Shanghai from Beijing in three hours by train? I don't think so mate, more like 5 hours give or take.

This is a good website for making travel arrangements in China, I've posted the link on other China related threads but here it is again: https://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/
Hi mate
In answer to the tickets question, City did sell them on the official site. I stupidly hurried down there on the first day of sales as they said they had a very limited number. They were £60 apiece, £300 to add to an already expensive away day!
I seem to recall the tickets in the Chinese sections were a lot lot less than that.

Either way, China is one of my favourite places to visit and I would be over there like a shot if my daughter wasn't getting married the week after.

Hi mate,

I'm in Dongzhimen at the moment but I've been all over the place the last few years, mainly near Wudakou and way out in west Beijing too.

Paddy's is the only real option I know of at the moment for decent football coverage cause they will show all of the matches at the same time with their million TV's, also it's not too far from me so I don't really head out further. I've heard 'The Local' in Sanlitun is okay too but I've never been there to watch the footy. Whenever I've been in there seems to be a good crowd of British people compared to some other places.

For non-sports bars, there is the Arrow factory tap room, which isn't too far from Paddys which has a good selection of beers and really good food- it's run by the same guys who run Stuffed if you know that place? 4 corners in Gulou is another good bar with lots of good bands on at weekends and a good selection of beers. Then there are the various Jing A and great leap tap rooms for their craft beers and decent enough food too. Harping on about the craft beer places a bit but they're better than drinking room temperature Yanjing! Also for quite late at night if you're still standing head over to Cafe De La Poste in between Beixinqiao and Lama Temple. Its a nice french cafe in the day but after midnight it can get a bit mental and will stay open pretty much until everyone is gone. If you're ever in town and at a loss for what to do you can check out: http://www.thebeijinger.com/ and it will have good coverage of most of the events

He's right though, isn't he?

High humidity, quite probably pollution problems, tiredness.
I think so

We are a football club not a brand but Soriano thinks we are both. Pre-season should be about preparing for the new season and getting that ground work done that prevents injuries. Even if you were the marketing man, you'd find it much easier to market a successful club than one that falls just short because its best players spent the season injured.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.