Chris Waddle

JohnMaddocksAxe said:
FantasyIreland said:
He was correct.

I agree that he over criticised our team and at times enjoyed it,however,he made alot of valid points about our toothless one dimensional attack.
And Given the amount we have spent building this team then of course we are going to be fair game for the likes of him - if we provide the ammo.......

I would argue with anyone that he was not correct about the full backs.

The team is set up to play a system where what he referred to as 'wingers' are actually nothing of the sort.

Many, if not the majority, of Europe's top teams play this system, and the use of the full backs to provide width and encouraging them to get forward is central to it.

Granted, that aspect of the system has been a genuine weakness for City this season as the quality coming from the full back area has not matched the quality in other areas of the pitch.

However, for him to suggest that the problem is that the full backs push on too much and that the 'wingers' should be hugging the touchline instead, suggests that his thought on the game are a) one dimensional and b) living in the eighties.

He was talking absolute pish on that issue (in no small part influenced by his man crush on Adam Johnson - who happens to be a winger from the North East - not that that is Johnson's fault or should be held against him)

Our full backs weren't creating the necssary width though were they?
We were too narrow all afternoon until Johnson got some ball out wide towards the latter stages. We know our full backs are effectively set up to play like wing backs but this isn't the success that it was supposed to be. We'd be best of trying to isolate Johnson against their full back and get balls across for Dzcko instead of trying to work it through the middle constantly.
Plenty of sides play with wingers successfully, just look at Spurs.
Anyway, I think some of players holding the ball for too long and the slow nature of our build up is a huge part of the problem.

ChesterRdBlue said:
Oh for a "turn off commentary" option. I'm sick of having games ruined having to listen to other twats thoughts, I've got enough shit opinions of my own without listening to theirs.

Ermmmm....couldn't you just TURN THE VOLUME DOWN ??!!

;O)

blue_paul said:
JohnMaddocksAxe said:

The team is set up to play a system where what he referred to as 'wingers' are actually nothing of the sort.

Many, if not the majority, of Europe's top teams play this system, and the use of the full backs to provide width and encouraging them to get forward is central to it.

Granted, that aspect of the system has been a genuine weakness for City this season as the quality coming from the full back area has not matched the quality in other areas of the pitch.

However, for him to suggest that the problem is that the full backs push on too much and that the 'wingers' should be hugging the touchline instead, suggests that his thought on the game are a) one dimensional and b) living in the eighties.

He was talking absolute pish on that issue (in no small part influenced by his man crush on Adam Johnson - who happens to be a winger from the North East - not that that is Johnson's fault or should be held against him)

We were too narrow all afternoon until Johnson got some ball out wide towards the latter stages. We know our full backs are effectively set up to play like wing backs but this isn't the success that it was supposed to be. We'd be best of trying to isolate Johnson against their full back and get balls across for Dzcko instead of trying to work it through the middle constantly.
Anyway, I think some of players holding the ball for too long and the slow nature of our build up is a huge part of the problem.
Yep,i'm in full agreement.

blue_paul said:
JohnMaddocksAxe said:

I'm not suggesting that the full backs were doing the job required in that system - they haven't all season.

But his solution was to "tell the full backs to stay back" and that is so simplistic and one dimensional against well drilled teams that are found in modern football that it is ridiculous.

I am not arguing against a possible change of formation toward the middle part of the match, just his ridiculously simplistic and out of date "tell the full backs to stay back" nonsense.

No quality team plays 'with wingers' and expects the full backs to 'stay back'

He is living in the eighties where teams were not as well set up and full backs were regularly isolated against the opposition winger with little decent protection.

For what it's worth I love seeing Johnson taking on full backs one on one.

Get him on the right and keep him there (although that may rule out his runs like the Leicester one midweek and Juventus at home and West Ham away where he just darts through the middle but nothing was going through the middle today anyway).

Maybe keep Boateng back and allow Kolarov to bomb on - he looked impressive today.

Though I am really pissed off with the result..

Have to say the funniest part was when he start slagging off Villa and talking about how negative they were and before he finished his sentenace Villa scored....he then went quiet.

Chris Waddle was dreadful. Most of the time he was spouting rubbish and doing more talking than the main commentator. Makes Andy Gray sound good.

Fuckin arsehole that Waddle...absolute twat,nothing positive to say about City

How on earth are dicks like him making money out of being a pundit/commentator

Should never be let near a football ground ever again after what he did in the World Cup for England with that penalty the useless twat............by the way did they ever find that ball ??

DTeacher said:
ChesterRdBlue said:
Oh for a "turn off commentary" option. I'm sick of having games ruined having to listen to other twats thoughts, I've got enough shit opinions of my own without listening to theirs.

Ermmmm....couldn't you just TURN THE VOLUME DOWN ??!!

;O)

what and watch the game on mute? a right enjoyable occasion that would be.

chris waddle said we are easy to play against 5 times during the course of the game. he constantly called for johnson and milner to be brought on. he's a dinosaur that is anti-city because of the foreign players we employ.

JohnMaddocksAxe said:
But his solution was to "tell the full backs to stay back" and that is so simplistic and one dimensional against well drilled teams that are found in modern football that it is ridiculous.

I am not arguing against a possible change of formation toward the middle part of the match, just his ridiculously simplistic and out of date "tell the full backs to stay back" nonsense.

No quality team plays 'with wingers' and expects the full backs to 'stay back'

He is living in the eighties where teams were not as well set up and full backs were regularly isolated against the opposition winger with little decent protection.

The trouble was though,when Johnson was introduced,Boateng was still getting in his space and as such depriving him of being on the ball,this forced Johnson inside where he is less effective and so persistently limited our attack.

The system needs alot of work.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.