Christian Benteke

Re: Benteke

Martin* said:
Akira said:
Martin* said:
I never said you wanted either Cavani or Falcao, hence 'we' and not 'you'.

I highlighted those two in particular as they are the most discussed forwards on here. Buying a Falcao/Cavani/anyone outside the Premier League represents a gamble to an extent. Especially with the figures being touted.

Van Persie and Ba were both scoring goals in this league for lesser clubs. The gamble was incredibly limited. In fact, in Ba's case there wasn't really a gamble at all. A mid 20's player who's scored goals for mid table teams available for 7mil when you have a misfiring 50mil striker? No brainer. The only gamble with Van Persie was his injuries.

Why would we buy Benteke? FFP. Young. Bags of ability/potential. Scoring in England. Already having three proven strikers at the club. Etc.

Arsenal is hardly a lesser club. I highly doubt a midfielder that had Cesc, Arteta, Wilshere etc constitutes poor service.

You know, just saying.
Last trophy Arsenal won?

Here are the stats for the 11/12 season at Arsenal for the players you mentioned (Van Persie's best season):

Cesc Fabregas - Played 0, 0 assists. (sold to Barcelona)
Jack Wilshere - Played 0, 0 asssits. Injured
Mikel Arteta - Played 38, 3 assists

Most of Van Persies goals were provided by Song - a defensive minded midfielder.

You know, just saying.

And Walcott.

Songs a great player. Can you remember that great goal from RVP when Song floated in a ball over the top about 30-40 yards and RVP volleyed. May have been dippers? Great goal and perfect delivery for assist.

NipHolmes said:
Martin* said:
Akira said:
Arsenal is hardly a lesser club. I highly doubt a midfielder that had Cesc, Arteta, Wilshere etc constitutes poor service.

You know, just saying.
Last trophy Arsenal won?

Here are the stats for the 11/12 season at Arsenal for the players you mentioned (Van Persie's best season):

Most of Van Persies goals were provided by Song - a defensive minded midfielder.

You know, just saying.

And Walcott.

Songs a great player. Can you remember that great goal from RVP when Song floated in a ball over the top about 30-40 yards and RVP volleyed. May have been dippers? Great goal and perfect delivery for assist.
Song is a superb player.

I would love him at City as a long term replacement for Barry.

Martin* said:
ANY1aBLUE said:
Martin* said:
How do we know Cavani will adapt? How do we know Falcao will adapt?

We don't is the answer you are looking for.

Nothing is certain and whilst Benteke is a million miles away from Falcao/Cavani in their respective leagues, he has the fundamentals of an excellent premier league player and is showing this most weeks in a very poor team with limited creativity.

Who said I wanted either Cavani or Falcoa or that was the only choice? And when you said 'nothing is certain' - it was as close as possible to certain that RVP would be. BA was another.

Why would we buy Benteke - i dont see the reasoning at all? We can afford the best proven strikers in the world and if we want to win the CL then thats what we have to aim at.
IF (and its a huge IF) Benteke proves himself over the next two Seasons then we can make a move - but let them 'bring him on' first.

I highlighted those two in particular as they are the most discussed forwards on here. Buying a Falcao/Cavani/anyone outside the Premier League represents a gamble to an extent. Especially with the figures being touted.

Van Persie and Ba were both scoring goals in this league for lesser clubs. The gamble was incredibly limited. In fact, in Ba's case there wasn't really a gamble at all. A mid 20's player who's scored goals for mid table teams available for 7mil when you have a misfiring 50mil striker? No brainer. The only gamble with Van Persie was his injuries.

Why would we buy Benteke? FFP. Young. Bags of ability/potential. Scoring in England. Already having three proven strikers at the club. Etc.

Have we? That's why we're thinking of selling one in the summer (dzeko) eh? I think our attack has been stuttering at best this season and what we dont need is another balotelli type gamble.
You answered your own question - RVP and BA were proven and an immediate, predictable success. Neither Tevez nor Aguero are firing at the moment, and I for one don't want yet another unproven player on our books we cant get rid of................

ANY1aBLUE said:
Martin* said:
ANY1aBLUE said:
Who said I wanted either Cavani or Falcoa or that was the only choice? And when you said 'nothing is certain' - it was as close as possible to certain that RVP would be. BA was another.

Why would we buy Benteke - i dont see the reasoning at all? We can afford the best proven strikers in the world and if we want to win the CL then thats what we have to aim at.
IF (and its a huge IF) Benteke proves himself over the next two Seasons then we can make a move - but let them 'bring him on' first.

Have we? That's why we're thinking of selling one in the summer (dzeko) eh? I think our attack has been stuttering at best this season and what we dont need is another balotelli type gamble.
You answered your own question - RVP and BA were proven and an immediate, predictable success. Neither Tevez nor Aguero are firing at the moment, and I for one don't want yet another unproven player on our books we cant get rid of................
How do you know we're thinking of selling one of our strikers?

I never claimed that Benteke was a proven Premier League player. I said he has all the makings of one. I am not for one minute suggesting Benteke is brought in as a direct competition for Aguero, Tevez or Dzeko; merely that he would be a solid fourth choice striker who has the potential to improve and push for a start dependant on circumstances such as fulfilling potential, somebody being sold etc.

United and Chelsea had no choice but to buy proven strikers in Van Persie and Ba. It was the minimum required to challenge us this year.

Naturally I would be happy for John Guidetti to occupy this role but if not, Benteke fits the bill perfectly.

After weeks and months of speculation, it has today been confirmed that Mario Balotelli will leave Manchester City to join Serie A giants AC Milan.

The 22-year old has been strongly linked with a move away from the Etihad Stadium following a string of off-field incidents, including a training ground bust-up with City chief Roberto Mancini.

It is believed the Premier League Champions will receive close to £20 million for the Italian frontman, with payments made in yearly installments by Milan.

With Balotelli now out the door, City are left with just three recognised first team strikers in the form of Sergio Aguero, Carlos Tevez and Edin Dzeko.

Benteke in action against Arsenal earlier this season.
Mancini is believed to on the hunt for another striker to add to his ranks before the transfer window shuts in just over 48 hours time and a number of names are being linked with a possible move to Eastlands.

City are reportedly keen on both Atletico Madrid’s Radamel Falcao and Napoli’s Edinson Cavani. However, neither are seen as a realistic option this late in the window, and as such, City will be forced to look elsewhere.

One name which been tentatively linked with a move to the Etihad is that of Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke. The Belgian international has been one of Villa’s only shining lights in what has been a poor season so far for Paul Lambert’s men, and as such has caught the eye of a number of the so called big clubs.

Villa are strapped for cash right now and Lambert has been quoted as saying he hasn’t the money to improve his options this window, leaving the door open for City to make a move for Benteke.

The 22-year old is believed to be content with life at Villa Park. However, should City make their interest concrete, who knows what the player, who has scored an impressive 11 goals this campaign, will do then.

Watch this space folks.

Martin* said:
NipHolmes said:
Martin* said:
Last trophy Arsenal won?

You know, just saying.

And Walcott.

Song is a superb player.

I would love him at City as a long term replacement for Barry.
Heard Song's a poor trainer though, which was probably why Arsenal did not even fight to keep him.

Bentekes playing for the wrong team at the minute and he isnt scoring enough goals like weimann if villa do go down and he did score every week then maybe he will start scoring but he does play for a really good belgium team so you could see why thered been some intrest

I wouldnt buy him

I really don't want Benteke. He just doesn't seem like a Manchester City style player, I don't think he'd score more than 10 goals a season. To be honest I'd rather Ricky Lambert. Not a particularly good players, but he's a fantastic goal scorer, which is what we're missing right now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.