City’s last penalty at Old Trafford

I was there that day.No one saw that result coming.
Cracking City side that.
Derby at the Baseball Ground , a pitch that resembled a very muddy farmyard! Keeping on the theme of penalties ,was that not the one where the groundstaff had to come on and repaint the penalty spot as it had disappeared?
Totally agree about that City side. Corrigan, Doyle, Watson, Donachie, Hartford ,Barnes Owen, Tueart, Kidd etc, far better than a lot of League winning sides in many of the years that followed. The general feeling was that if we had a fit Colin Bell (had he not got injured the previous season )we would have won the league in 76/77 ... even without the help of any penalties at the Swamp ofcourse!

On 7 April 1992 Manchester City were awarded a penalty at Old Trafford, which Keith Curle converted to earn a 1-1 draw.

31 years ago.

Many blues will already know the number of penalties awarded to City since then at the swamp: none. Nix, nada, niente.

Absolutely astounding that we could go so long without being awarded a penalty there. Since then, we have had 8 general elections, 7 prime ministers, America has had 5 different presidents, and City have won 15 major trophies.

Unless you are pushing 40 you have no memory of a City penalty at the swamp.

A record like that speaks for itself, yet we all know what the media will make of that simple statistic.

Absolutely fuck all.
Ah, but let's not mix a blatant stonewall pen with what is clearly a 'coming together', such as the one where Micah found his legs 'scissored' by a Rag defender - Andersen I think! Thirty odd years of players 'coming together' is a drop in the ocean of Earth history. Meanwhile, at t'other end . . . . . . . . !

Derby at the Baseball Ground , a pitch that resembled a very muddy farmyard! Keeping on the theme of penalties ,was that not the one where the groundstaff had to come on and repaint the penalty spot as it had disappeared?
Totally agree about that City side. Corrigan, Doyle, Watson, Donachie, Hartford ,Barnes Owen, Tueart, Kidd etc, far better than a lot of League winning sides in many of the years that followed. The general feeling was that if we had a fit Colin Bell (had he not got injured the previous season )we would have won the league in 76/77 ... even without the help of any penalties at the Swamp ofcourse!

Losing Mike Doyle at West Ham was a blow. Our away record did us. Ticking along nicely then we only won 2 out of the last 10 away - W2 D3 L5. Always remember we were on MOTD on our away games with Jimmy the chin sticking the boot in regularly.

Last edited:
Vassell missed a penalty in 06-07 at the ETIHAD
Tevez scored from a penalty in the 09-10 LC Semi

Apart from the Curle equalizer in 91-92 those are the only City penalties in the last 50 years.
So we’ve had 2 league penalties vs them in 50 years - anyone know how many they’ve had in that period ??

On 7 April 1992 Manchester City were awarded a penalty at Old Trafford, which Keith Curle converted to earn a 1-1 draw.

31 years ago.

Many blues will already know the number of penalties awarded to City since then at the swamp: none. Nix, nada, niente.

Absolutely astounding that we could go so long without being awarded a penalty there. Since then, we have had 8 general elections, 7 prime ministers, America has had 5 different presidents, and City have won 15 major trophies.

Unless you are pushing 40 you have no memory of a City penalty at the swamp.

A record like that speaks for itself, yet we all know what the media will make of that simple statistic.

Absolutely fuck all.
Remember it well

So we’ve had 2 league penalties vs them in 50 years - anyone know how many they’ve had in that period ??

When I said that to a Rag he told me our lack of penalties is due being in the 3rd division for years. I asked well how the fuck have you had so many then.

Last edited:
74th and 93rd minute.
Its funny how we selectively remember things.... The first game I ever went to was against Arsenal and for 30 plus years I was sure it ended 0-0.... but it ended 1-1 but I can't for the life of me remember the goals... we lost 4-1 to Liverpool on the weekend afterwards and I remember that battering in great detail!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.