City and Chelsea to Fail Financial Fair Play....

I ain't worried at all about this, following reading an article sometime ago which effectively stated doesn't matter what the debt is as long as the club have long term plans to break even.

Marvin said:
Recession is used to describe 2 successive quarters of negative growth

No, it isn't. 'Recession' is a blanket term for any economic slowdown. 1.7% growth in GDP is a slowdown from our usual 3%, therefore we are in a recession.

Dom38 said:
Marvin said:
Recession is used to describe 2 successive quarters of negative growth

No, it isn't. 'Recession' is a blanket term for any economic slowdown. 1.7% growth in GDP is a slowdown from our usual 3%, therefore we are in a recession.
Most commentators would describe a recession as 2 quarters of negative growth. That's the technical definition. You can assert what you want, but you are wrong. Recession = decline in economic activity. Question is over what period do you measure that, and the convention is two quarters.

Can we not leave the talk of recession and definitions for another time and place?

Thats surely Thread Fair Play?

No, they wouldn't. The old 2 quarters of negative growth rule of thumb has been superseded by an actual technical definition from NBER:

"a significant decline in [the] economic activity spread across the country, lasting more than a few months, normally visible in real GDP growth, real personal income, employment (non-farm payrolls), industrial production, and wholesale-retail sales."

So no, you are wrong.

Thats a no then and yet another thread is spoilt by a few people who cannot walk away from a debate..............

fbloke said:
Thats a no then and yet another thread is spoilt by a few people who cannot walk away from a debate..............

I will find a use for my economics degree godammit.

Dom38 said:
SWP's back said:
Say what you want, but the country is not in a recession by any definable definition of the word.

That is not a Tory or politics thing but an economics thing.

As for your bank account? So what, that has nothing to do with the subject matter of recession. There are many thousands of healthy bank accounts also. Why bring any of that up?

I was answering a poster that said we "were in the midst (middle) of a recession". I have simply shown we are not.

We are in a period of low consumer confidence, which is a different thing. If BluePaul had said that, I wouldn't have pulled him up.

GDP growth is less than average, and that means we're still in recession. Let's not mention the ol' quantitative easing and low interest rate, we're still very much in recession and may sink back in when the effects of the cuts are felt.

Also, low consumer confidence is what made the recession worse. Recession and low consumer confidence are not 2 different types of economic downturn. It's people like you who think they know what they're talking about and vote for the bloody Tories. I'd put money on you being worried about the deficit too, even though our bond yield is one of the lowest in the world.
No dom, recession does not mean that at all. A recession Defined in this country (a reduction in GDP) is not currently in effect. Things such as QE and interest rate are nothing to do with a recession. As evidenced by the BBC and Office of national statistics links I posted.

As for me not knowing what I'm on about, I do just fine thanks and have managed to run a financial advice practice quite well despite my obviously limited knowledge.

But we ain't in a fucking recession. Whatever you think. Thanks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.