City - big club or not ?

With football becoming a TV sport in late 90s it has always been about tapping the global fans. This is why a Chelsea or Arsenal still have more global fans than Liverpool, they got a whole generation of fans supporting them when they were picking up trophies.

The entire race is now about taking football to untapped markets, playing UCL KO games in US or Asia, getting more big UCL games thereby getting more viewers. Super League was touted because you had more people watching an Everton vs Newcastle than Real Madrid vs Betis, PL has become the most dominant league itw. Mancity have more global fans than say Juventus or AC Milan who have more European trophies.

I get why some older generation fans can't accept this, but this the reason why our owners bought us. You want best players from across the continent but want only Mancunian fans ? How does that work.
You can't be buying the likes of Haaland with just local fans, football is global, high-time our fans come to terms with this reality.

No point in saying 'I'm just happy to see City being a locally supported club', there's going to be whole new generation of City fans and you have to deal with it.

Last edited:
This thread merely invites our biggest enemies to jump in and have a pop- as a City fan I don't need to discuss it as its puerile and better saved for 12 year old fam knobheads arguing on the cesspit that is twitter.

The big club argument has only become a thing over the last decade.
I suppose it has got worse over the last decade but I first came across it being used to denigrate City by a work colleague who was a Spurs fan (and who of course claimed his was a big club).

I suppose it has got worse over the last decade but I first came across it being used to denigrate City by a work colleague who was a Spurs fan (and who of course claimed his was a big club).
Doh...the point is, that happened over 20 years ago.

Tallest floodlights in the league.
Curly Watts(celebrity fan)
Underground heating on economy 7.
We've got the widest pitch in the league.
We've got salt and pepper on our hotdog stands. (etc etc)

Cos Citeh are a masive club.
daft reds said:
"They train in Wythenshawe park...............cos they're a massive club,

are you avin a laff are you avin a laff

"cos Citeh are a massive club

With football becoming a TV sport in late 90s it has always been about tapping the global fans. This is why a Chelsea or Arsenal still have more global fans than Liverpool, they got a whole generation of fans supporting them when they were picking up trophies.

The entire race is now about taking football to untapped markets, playing UCL KO games in US or Asia, getting more big UCL games thereby getting more viewers. Super League was touted because you had more people watching an Everton vs Newcastle than Real Madrid vs Betis, PL has become the most dominant league itw. Mancity have more global fans than say Juventus or AC Milan who have more European trophies.

I get why some older generation fans can't accept this, but this the reason why our owners bought us. You want best players from across the continent but want only Mancunian fans ? How does that work.
You can't be buying the likes of Haaland with just local fans, football is global, high-time our fans come to terms with this reality.

No point in saying 'I'm just happy to see City being a locally supported club', there's going to be whole new generation of City fans and you have to deal with it.
They may buy merchandise and watch games on telly, but they are not fans, just consumers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.