City - big club or not ?

I started supporting City before I had any concept that football clubs could be different sizes, so size doesn’t matter as far as I am concerned.

if it does matter then comfort yourself with the thought that only the biggest clubs were in contention to sign Erling Haarland for the bargain price of just £51M, and we were the biggest draw to a generational talent who was making his choice based on footballing reasons.

This is why there is such a concerted effort by those who support clubs because they are ‘big’ to make out that the price was £200M and only we could afford it and that therefore proves we are cheating!
If they admitted the truth then their little World would end.

In Scotland Celtic get bigger crowds than Rangers (bigger ground) and have won many more trophies in the last 15 years but Rangers dwarf them size wise in Scotland with almost 1 in 5 of the population supporting the teddy bears.
I can recall Rangers struggling to pull in crowds of 10,000 in the early 1980s. Since the money was put into the club when Souness was brought in as manager, still more when David Murray came into the club.

The support has gone up since the investment came in and brought success. It did sustain following the demise of Rangers and its replacement by the zombie club Sevco.

I have worked in Glasgow for 27 years and have encountered comparatively few Rangers supporters over that time, certainly far less than the Celtic fans I have met.

I'm not really sure if big or small are the right descriptions. Gary Cook once spoke in an interview of wanting City to be one of the recognisable club names worldwide. I think he quoted about 6 companys for each product. Coke, pepsi, sprite, fanta, etc for soft drinks. Heineken, Guinness, etc for beers. Dallas cowboys, New England patriots etc for NFL.
So for football i suppose Madrid, Barca, Munich, Psg, Milan, City, Littlepool are the current household names based on recent success. Are we likely to stay as Englands top/most successful club? I hope so. City are still growing and i think are likely to carry on growing with more success.
The PL also seems to be more successful/richer than the other European leagues so there is a good chance that a club in the PL top ten will have a higher income than clubs with a larger following abroad. Are West Ham bigger than Dortmund because they might earn more? Potentially i suppose they can be if they carry on earning more, buying higher quality players, qualifying for Europe etc.
Anyhow.....revenue, trophies, attendances, quality of football played, matchday experience (whatever that means), quality of beer and pies, stench of smoke in bogs or whatever anyone wants to base it on, City are not going anywhere soon, apart from up.
I only ever used to see City shirts in Manchester or on holiday. Now they're worn all over the world & that tells me all i need to know. City play really good football on the world stage. That'll do for me.

older folks will hate this but in the new age your follower count is a really interesting gauge of global appeal and a directly reflection of ability to monetise in certain channels outside of core match day, tv rights etc. Match day revenue itself is only about 10% of revenue in England these days. So purely looking at this from an attendance point of view misses the fact it’s a global audience now that clubs primarily want to reach.

IG

City - 32m followers
Arsenal - 22m
Spurs - 13m
Chelsea - 34m
Liverpool - 39m
United - 58m (being shit the last 10 years has seemingly hurt them)
Madrid - 117m
Barca - 108m
Juve - 55m

These are crazy…
Messi - 330m
Ronaldo - 446m

We're a very big club. Not that I care and often wish we weren't but we are.

Attract the best players and most of the media's attention..

We just don't have as many 'reserve fans' as the Red sisters and will always be judged on that.

Personally I enjoy the shit we get cos I know about football history and what we are/are not.

We’ve ruined Simon Jordan’s life, we literally live in his head, it doesn’t matter what football club he attempts to discuss he always comes back to denigrate us, it’s unbelievable.
I've never really processed his comments much but he's so bitter isn't he. Is there a reason for it that I've missed? Just seems like a fella in media who for no apparent reason hates City. There's plenty similar but they have links to certain clubs.

He just seems to really hate us

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.