City - big club or not ?

older folks will hate this but in the new age your follower count is a really interesting gauge of global appeal and a directly reflection of ability to monetise in certain channels outside of core match day, tv rights etc. Match day revenue itself is only about 10% of revenue in England these days. So purely looking at this from an attendance point of view misses the fact it’s a global audience now that clubs primarily want to reach.

IG

City - 32m followers
Arsenal - 22m
Spurs - 13m
Chelsea - 34m
Liverpool - 39m
United - 58m (being shit the last 10 years has seemingly hurt them)
Madrid - 117m
Barca - 108m
Juve - 55m

These are crazy…
Messi - 330m
Ronaldo - 446m
If/when Haaland explodes onto the world stage im sure he will hit 300 million followers.

We're about the 8th biggest club in England historically, pretty fucking big out of 92 league teams. The last decade has been amazing. If we keep going at that trajectory for another 2 decades we will be the biggest club in the country by a mile.

Whatever happens, we've seen our team win the league 6 times in 10 years. I thought we might get a lucky cup run one year in my lifetime, and I'm only 29. Win one Champions League and I could probably die a happy man if City went bankrupt the day after. We've had one hell of a run and long may it continue.

I guess it depends on how you define a big club..success, fan base, stadium size, social media following. The article below puts us 5th in the all time trophy table. Catching Chelsea up. Personally I do not care of what people think about City. They are my club, the best club, who over the last 45 years have brought me much heartache and more recently, such joy. Big, small, will always be Blue.
just noticed that those 4 hours of goal less football and two fluky penalty shootout wins have pushed the dippers above the rags in the pot count

We're about the 8th biggest club in England historically, pretty fucking big out of 92 league teams. The last decade has been amazing. If we keep going at that trajectory for another 2 decades we will be the biggest club in the country by a mile.

Whatever happens, we've seen our team win the league 6 times in 10 years. I thought we might get a lucky cup run one year in my lifetime, and I'm only 29. Win one Champions League and I could probably die a happy man if City went bankrupt the day after. We've had one hell of a run and long may it continue.
You are underestimating our size. We are top 5 biggest clubs in the league comfortably. We are such a "small" club, people can’t avoid talking about us 24/7. We just had a decade of success, we are in for the second one now. 2020s might even be better than the 2010s since now we have a established team, manager, structure etc.. First half of the decade we tried to form out identity & culture. I believe by the end of the decade we will be comfortably top 3 biggest clubs in the country, both on and off the pitch. Trophy wise we aren’t that far behind Arsenal and Chelsea.
Just 5 trophies away from overtaking Chelsea (pic below was before we won the league) - and become the 4th most successful team in the country. Once we overtake chelsea Arsenal not that far away with just 3 trophies. Chelsea is going through changes off and on the pitch, Arsenal have been mediocre and will be mediocre for time to come
1653646645965.png

I guess it depends on how you define a big club..success, fan base, stadium size, social media following. The article below puts us 5th in the all time trophy table. Catching Chelsea up. Personally I do not care of what people think about City. They are my club, the best club, who over the last 45 years have brought me much heartache and more recently, such joy. Big, small, will always be Blue.
Unfortunately we are not 5th in the trophy table. Because some of our trophies are recent. The rules on total trophies is they only count up until the point we started winning quite a lot. So it stopped counting after 2011.

There are eight clubs that are always in the top ten for every category of what might define a big club, and ten always in the top 14. City are one of them.

PosStadium CapacityAll time attendanceDomestic trophiesAll trophiesTop flight points
1​
Manchester United
75,635​
Manchester United
106,249,505​
Manchester United
58​
Liverpool
67​
Liverpool FC
7,099​
2​
Tottenham Hotspur
62,850​
Arsenal FC
91,994,049​
Liverpool
53​
Manchester United
66​
Arsenal FC
6,901​
3​
Arsenal
60,704​
Liverpool FC
91,193,659​
Arsenal
46​
Arsenal
48​
Everton FC
6,793​
4​
West Ham United
60,000​
Everton FC
84,586,713​
Manchester City
28​
Chelsea
34​
Manchester United
6,556​
5​
Manchester City
55,097​
Newcastle United FC
84,221,745​
Chelsea
25​
Manchester City
29​
Aston Villa
6,032​
6​
Liverpool
54,074​
Tottenham Hotspur FC
80,386,408​
Everton
23​
Tottenham Hotspur
26​
Manchester City
5,489​
7​
Newcastle United
52,354​
Manchester City FC
79,756,882​
Tottenham Hotspur
23​
Aston Villa
25​
Tottenham Hotspur
5,242​
8​
Sunderland
49,000​
Chelsea FC
78,799,161​
Aston Villa
22​
Everton
24​
Chelsea FC
5,241​
9​
Aston Villa
42,682​
Aston Villa FC
77,234,651​
Wolverhampton Wanderers
13​
Newcastle United
14​
Newcastle United
4,989​
10​
Chelsea
41,631​
Sunderland AFC
68,678,608​
Blackburn Rovers
12​
Nottingham Forest
13​
Sunderland AFC
4,560​
11​
Sheffield Wednesday
39,732​
Sheffield Wednesday FC
58,186,012​
Newcastle United
12​
Wolverhampton Wanderers
13​
West Bromwich Albion
4,091​
12​
Everton
39,414​
Wolverhampton Wanderers FC
57,663,036​
Sunderland
10​
Blackburn Rovers
12​
Blackburn Rovers
3,702​
13​
Leeds United
37,890​
West Ham United FC
56,616,352​
Sheffield Wednesday
10​
Sunderland
10​
Bolton Wanderers
3,692​
14​
Middlesbrough
34,000​
Leeds United FC
56,389,705​
Nottingham Forest
10​
Sheffield Wednesday
10​
Wolverhampton Wanderers
3,587​

You are underestimating our size. We are top 5 biggest clubs in the league comfortably. We are such a "small" club, people can’t avoid talking about us 24/7. We just had a decade of success, we are in for the second one now. 2020s might even be better than the 2010s since now we have a established team, manager, structure etc.. First half of the decade we tried to form out identity & culture. I believe by the end of the decade we will be comfortably top 3 biggest clubs in the country, both on and off the pitch. Trophy wise we aren’t that far behind Arsenal and Chelsea.
Just 5 trophies away from overtaking Chelsea (pic below was before we won the league) - and become the 4th most successful team in the country. Once we overtake chelsea Arsenal not that far away with just 3 trophies. Chelsea is going through changes off and on the pitch, Arsenal have been mediocre and will be mediocre for time to come
View attachment 44639
Sorry to nitpick but that list is not up to date and it includes cups that are not major honours, which skews certain club's tallies.

It's not got this seasons league title win in it for City, not sure about Liverpool's("nobody cares innit la"). I also don't know many people who count super cups(Euro ones or not) as major honours.

Forest are on 9 and Newcastle are on 10 major honours... and so on for the other teams, when you remove the glorified exhibitions and smaller European tournaments that even UEFA don't count. I think we are 2 away from Chelsea now(25) if I have it right.

Last edited:
We are a big club and always have been , we have had a few blips and spent some time in the wilderness but we have always been one of the top six/eight club for decades , attendances etc.,stack up against the vast majority of clubs, its just the 'istree clubs plastic fans who like to think we are nobodies.
The recent investment has catapulted us into a top four club alongside the Rags , Dippers and Chelsea , and if our trajectory continues over the next decade we will be alongside the red 'istree clubs.
Personally i couldnt give a flying f*ck how we are percieved by fart brain , remote control wielding , gloryhunting retards who believe everything printed in the red top newspapers and take as gospel what Sky and The Sun spew out.
The reason i started supporting this club is because it was a family tradition and certainly nothing to do with potential success although the 1965-66 2nd division trophy was nice in only my second season as a supporter.

We might not be the biggest but at this moment we are the best and that causes a tsunami of boiling piss from the establishment clubs , and long may it continue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.