City - big club or not ?

And so fucking what....

I dont know if this has been covered before but I dont get the obsession of being a "Big Club", what exactly does it mean? Having a large number of supporters from over seas and selling out every game? That seems to be only real things I can see it meaning.

We're a local club with a growing amount of foreign supporters which will grow more and more, we dont sell out every game because it takes several generations of success for more and more kids to support you and then be able to sell out bigger grounds, I don't really care about it, all I care about is us being successful. I dont get the "small club" trope, its the first thing anyone says about us, I'd much sooner be a small club who is successful rather than a "Big Club" struggling. Then there is the argument that when clubs are talked about as being "big" when they have won the European Cup, such as Nottingham, Villa, I certainly wouldn't want to swap positions with any of them.

Maybe in a couple of decades we will be deemed a "Big club" by other fans but if not, who gives a shit, I'm incredibly proud of our club and our achievements either way!
I don't know about being a big club (although English champions again) but we're THE biggest club in respect of getting up people's noses
1) I can't really think of any other club in the country (actually the world) who would have a rival team banner in their stadium - although put into storage now
2) Our attendance figures are weekly scrutinised by the media with an empty seat count mandatory
3) We've been hated since 2008 (well no actually it could be 2003) when we moved to "Eastlands" I do recall one Arsene Wenger having a strop tearing paper coverings of a new recently built Gym before Arsenal's first visit and demanding they have a gym to warm up in)
4) Apparently we're all Glory hunters (actually I was called similar on the way to my first game in between the '68 title and '69 FA cup although I'd not heard the phrase back then...it went something like...."you only support city because they're English champions"
5) Business dealings are thoroughly scrutinised by those of a squeaky voice nature and their southern counterparts (is it just me or is it getting harder to find Liverpool fans with scouse accents?)
6) Jack Grealish hair is talked about more than his football skills.....
And plenty more as I'm sure everyone's experienced

The three biggest clubs in the late fifties and early sixties were Wolves, Spurs and Burnley. Fast forward twenty five years and Wolves and Burnley are fourth division, in Burnleys case one game from going out of the league. Spurs admittedly were in a second golden age with Gascoine etc and regular Wembley and European appearences before the dippers put pay to that. Even Spurs had a season in the second division on the way. Now while Spurs are still a biggish club they've not troubled the trophy makers for some time and Wolves and Burnley medium sized clubs who dream of decent cup runs. Our previous golden age was the late sixties early seventies and we all know what we went through to get where we are today so enjoy it while it lasts blues nothing lasts forever. But at the moment we are the biggest club with only the dippers on our coat tails. The press for some reason hate us but it was obvious last Sunday that many match going footy fans prefer us to the dippers.

What does big club even mean? It seems to me that to qualify you need thousands of fans from outside your area and around the world. Our fanbase is getting bigger every year, so we aren't far off. But really, does it matter!

What does big club even mean? It seems to me that to qualify you need thousands of fans from outside your area and around the world. Our fanbase is getting bigger every year, so we aren't far off. But really, does it matter!

Big clubs are the ones who corner English football by inventing a premier league to protect their interests. Then when other clubs catch them up their owners throw the toys out of pram and then try to invent a European super league.

Big clubs are the ones who corner English football by inventing a premier league to protect their interests. Then when other clubs catch them up their owners throw the toys out of pram and then try to invent a European super league.
& invent ffp.

Lfc are a big club. They get the media attention. Do we want that? No way because utd are the flip side of that, all the politics and media spotlight is ruining utd.

I'd prefer us to win things whilst they take no notice thankyou. I don't want to be liked by the sort of people who suddenly declare themselves lfc fans... You know the sort who like things like Coldplay.

Lfc/utd are the very essence of plastic fanbase, they have the hardcore fans but after that they're just a fashion that will drop off once they are poor again.

It's my club, it's your club, it's our club and its fucking amazing.

My mate on Tuesday got a parcil from City with a nice letter, saying he shares the same birthday as Foden, Walker and Stones. In the parcil was a signed City shirt from Stones !!

A complete surprise

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.