City early 90s

Finding all these opinions fascinating. I was too young to remember 90/91 and 91/92 seasons. Always thought we had a reasonable when the premier league began, before it all went so wrong!

I think if Quinn had a strike partner similar to Kevin Phillips who he played with a Sunderland then City could have competed for the title. I never really understood the love some fans had for Clive Allen - he scored a few good goals (Chelsea away) but was hardly prolific (16 goals in 53 league games).

The football itself was not great - turgid long ball stuff - and it seemed that Sam Ellis, the assistant manager, set most of the tactics.

I also was shocked by what we paid for Curle (worth it) and Phelan (not so much) and the way that Hendry was got rid of because of a personality clash with Reid.

To be honest I don't think we really would have been successful with Reid and Ellis in charge. If Kendall had stayed things might have been different - his Everton teams played great passing football (first time around).
Quinn actually said something similar in the podcast about having a Phillips type striker!

Took my lad to his first game in the 1993/4 season, which was the 2-0 loss to Blackburn at Maine Road, just before Peter Reid was sacked. So he would have been 6 at the time. He couldn't sit still at the best of times and this game definitely wasn't the best of times. At one point he loudly announced. "This is boring. Why can't we go and watch United?'' to great amusement.

But while he wasn't too excited about the football he absolutely loved the post-game demo on the forecourt and wanted to come back for another.

was 7 in 1995 but always loved watching the end of season review for the first few seasons in the PL.

The abandoned game against Ipswich is always something i remember.

We actually found all my old kits in my parents loft the other week. Save to say i know have them back

We were never really that close but I concur with what Quinny said a prolific striker would have made a huge difference.

Unfortunately Peter Reid was desperate to waste the money we had on Curle (who I rated) and Phelan when other positions were a real priority.

When you consider he sold Colin Hendry for 750k and spent 2.5 million on Keith Curle to replace him, similarly 900k on Rick Holden and sold Michael Hughes for 450k and history tells you who got the better of the deals. I mentioned it on another thread but he similarly pursued the likes of Paul Stewart every summer who clearly was overweight and injury prone at this time.

It was exciting to be up there though (even though the football was horrible) but for a generation of fans like me, mid 40s nowit was the first glimpse of a half decent City side.

I remember going up to Sheff Utd when we were riding high and lost 4-2 with Paul Lakes brother (Michael) scoring a stunner. There was thousands there that day, loads in the Sheff Utd end and many locked out.

Funnily enough we played our best football away and there was a video (equalling the record) as we won 4 away matches on the bounce. Seems small beer now but winning at the likes of Spurs seemed very exciting.

The longer Reid was there, the worse it got and we were well on the slide when he got sacked.
Naughty that day as loads of Blues, including me,were still outside 15 minutes into the game (think we may have already been 2 down?) so they opened a gate causing a rush to get in which while thankfully nowhere near the level of Hillsborough just makes you wonder what they were thinking about being Sheffield......

We were never really that close but I concur with what Quinny said a prolific striker would have made a huge difference.

Unfortunately Peter Reid was desperate to waste the money we had on Curle (who I rated) and Phelan when other positions were a real priority.

When you consider he sold Colin Hendry for 750k and spent 2.5 million on Keith Curle to replace him, similarly 900k on Rick Holden and sold Michael Hughes for 450k and history tells you who got the better of the deals. I mentioned it on another thread but he similarly pursued the likes of Paul Stewart every summer who clearly was overweight and injury prone at this time.

It was exciting to be up there though (even though the football was horrible) but for a generation of fans like me, mid 40s nowit was the first glimpse of a half decent City side.

I remember going up to Sheff Utd when we were riding high and lost 4-2 with Paul Lakes brother (Michael) scoring a stunner. There was thousands there that day, loads in the Sheff Utd end and many locked out.

Funnily enough we played our best football away and there was a video (equalling the record) as we won 4 away matches on the bounce. Seems small beer now but winning at the likes of Spurs seemed very exciting.

The longer Reid was there, the worse it got and we were well on the slide when he got sacked.

This gives a good perspective. Curle ands Phelan were good players, Phelan at his best was a rapid left footed Zabelta - but he was not always at his best. Curle was always a class act, fast & strong, positionally great, loved getting stuck in - a slim line Kompany.

But we struggled for a partner for Curle. If we had kept hold of Hendry then we would have had a CB pair as good as if not better than anyone. Ricky Holden was a tricky winger with all the pace of a sunday league player after a heavy night out, madness that we bought him and sold hendry and lost cash on the way.

The loss of Paul Lake was a blow - especially when you think Garry Flitcroft followed him through and he went on to win the title with Blackburn. A midfield of Lake / Flitcroft would again be as good as anyones.

Its also worth noting that the football of Kendall / Reid was pretty attritional. I think we had the pitch narrowed around this time. And with Quinny in the team it was always a favoured option to lump it forward.

The previous summer i was in the States working at a summer camp and got friendly with a Kiwi who spent the next 9 months in London and met him in a pre arranged pub near to Loftus Road.
He couldnt believe the atmosphere in our end, and he'd attended many rugby games in Auckland. Converted him as a Blue that day!
Forgot Clive Wilson was in the QPR team that day.

Think Ellis definetely had a lot of influence behind the scenes, maybe too much. Reid was in his first managerial job and also still playing so needed some kind of guidance, not sure Ellis had the credentials for that role at the top level. To give credit, Id imagine Ellis was involved in the signing of Andy Hill from his old club Bury and he was one of Reid's few decent signings.
At this time teams were still mainly made up of players from the British Isles but clubs were looking to Europe for signings hoping to find a gem, some clubs did, we ended up with the likes of Ingebrigsten (apart from hat trick in a cup game did nothing else) and Groenendijk (did anyone ever see him open a can of peas with his left foot?). We still had decent youth coming through in the likes of Hughes, Sheron, Flitcroft, Edghill and Lomas but dried up after them.
I did a stadium tour and lunch a couple of years ago which was hosted by Edgehill
At lunch I asked him if the rumours of Ellis being a bully were factual
Edgehill confirmed that he was and reminisced a story of after one training session, Ellis counted the football in and said there were three missing and sent Edgehill and a couple of other youngsters out to get them with a warning of not to return without them
The balls weren't missing and Ellis left them out there for two hours searching

The other 9,000 were in the open Kippax corner adjoining the Platt Lane stand.

Never seen anything like it outside the ground before kick off, everywhere was littered with beer cans all over the place. I believe they took the Parkside over arriving at opening time in their hundreds.
Im blaming my age mate i’d forgot they had that corner bit as well!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.