City Fan Ban

Well, there must be a semantic subtlety that I'm not grasping, here.
The authorities, and the media, consistently define it as a “smoke flare”. I've never handled one of the things, and wouldn't be interested in doing so (I find them dipperish, to be honest) My only question here is: are they based on combustion, and do they therefore generate heat?
Flares give off a flame and cannot be extinguished
2D583F6E-F1C0-4339-91E8-E02D0438585F.jpeg

Smoke grenades give off smoke and can be extinguished
6055FFB9-2DDD-4C6E-8E8A-F5BEF8FE6DE3.jpeg

Throwing either on the pitch is pure stupid behaviour. But have a look at Glastonbury over the weekend to see how many are let off and see how popular they are.

As awful as monkey gestures are, they don’t have the potential to physically harm anyone.

The smoke flares/bombs can do huge damage (as can all pyrotechnics). Do you remember the Rangers fan holding one when it exploded and he lost all his fingers and most of his hand?

It’s distressing viewing anyway but my point is that every pyrotechnic has the potential to do that and a keeper shouldn’t have to be picking one up to throw off the pitch, nor should a steward.

Racist gestures are rightly castigated and punished but I don’t think they’re as dangerous as these things being thrown on to the playing surface.
Well said regarding the damage SWP.

Yet pre the Villa game, posters on here were encouraging them to be sneaked into the ground by giving them to children to carry in.

Hope the courts are taking intent into account here. Running on the pitch could be a spur-of-the-moment act of daftness you’d hope fellow fans as well as the courts could put into context, depending on where you were stood/sat before. Obviously assuming that they’re not punching players in the head as they do so, in which case, hard lines. But whilst chucking a flare - or a smoke-bomb (thanks for distinction @Psychedelic Casual) might be an instinctive thing when you chuck it, the difference with that and running on the pitch is is that with the pyro you brought the bloody thing into the ground past security with it stuffed down your trollies some time before, and with mischief aforethought - which in the trade is called ‘going equipped’.

It’s got to stop, or they’ll cage us in again, or - even worse - decide to change who goes to games, and hike the prices up, make us all get face-painted and have some godawful Kisscam shite like IPL cricket.

Haha, I've got SSN on in the background and they keep banging on about bringing the flare (and yes I know it's flair :) ).

Couldnt care less what other cases are being dragged up,thats deficiency elsewhere....what is important here is that this particular **** has been dealt with properly.

As awful as monkey gestures are, they don’t have the potential to physically harm anyone.

The smoke flares/bombs can do huge damage (as can all pyrotechnics). Do you remember the Rangers fan holding one when it exploded and he lost all his fingers and most of his hand?

It’s distressing viewing anyway but my point is that every pyrotechnic has the potential to do that and a keeper shouldn’t have to be picking one up to throw off the pitch, nor should a steward.

Racist gestures are rightly castigated and punished but I don’t think they’re as dangerous as these things being thrown on to the playing surface.
Tbf, that article says the Rangers fan was actually unharmed?

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-images.sportbible.com%2Fs3%2Fcontent%2Ff1c618b95c02a9036446c8f040f7c5fd.png

Do you not find it in the least bit atmospheric?

Not sure anybody gets arrested abroad for flares tbh despite what your list intimates.
No

Honestly, Ric, you surprise me a bit. Not just having a flare, but throwing it onto the pitch? Supposing it had hit a player on the head? Supposing it had hit the ref on the head? I don't know how hot those things are, but presumably they're burning in some way.
I don't think a three year ban is long enough. This is at least as serious as the guy who foolishly ran on to the pitch — which he recognised as such — and has been done for longer for it.
Don’t get me wrong, I think throwing a smoke bomb (not a flare, as others have pointed out) on to the pitch is a stupid thing to do. Just think the actual danger posed by these things is being exaggerated, and that the punishment seems a bit harsh imo. That said, I’ve just read that he’s from Liverpool so any sympathy is now waning ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.