City Fan Still In Hospital in Germany

cyberblue said:
We are doing a bucket Collection before the Boro game & need loads of Volunteers if you can help any time between 1o-45am & 12-45pm please get in touch Cheers Don

Went to see Carl this week. He's making good progress and all the staff are happy with him. The problem with having a full diagnosis is that he can't speak as yet, for two reasons. One is the tracheotomy - which should be out in the next few days, and the other is that this part of his brain is specifically the bit that got most damage. When I was telling him about what everyone was up to, he was grabbing my hand and trying to answer but it was like when somethings on the tip of your tongue, so frustrating. I was telling him all the funny stuff that's happened and I got a belly laugh out of him that caused a bit of a coughing fit, so I'm certain that he's well aware of what's going on and understands the situation.

I just told him exactly what was happening with him, that I've spoken with experts and that they say that his condition now is completely normal and consistent with full recovery, that when he wants to try and speak he should go for it and not give up because the trying is the rewiring, is the repair process, and it will take weeks and months to get better but that it will get better. He goes to speak and then rolls his eyes quite a bit. At times he goes more distant, and he's quite tired, a result no doubt of the massive trauma, the operations and the physio he's getting.

The staff are brilliant. All speaking to him cheerily all the time in English, and the place is spotless and in great condition. Having said that, he must be bored shitless, as he's in a private room and just alone with his thoughts for quite a lot of the time. I got him a load of audio books, Bill Bryson stuff coz it's like easy documentaries to keep you interetsed, and his fave Northern Soul and Motown tunes, with some bits of punk and Manc scene stuff and the nurses are sticking them on for him, and he's got CNN on the tele.

I'd say to anyone who knows him who could give him an hour of new stuff to think about to pop over. Ryanair have got a flight sale on and it's 5 quid each way including taxes for a lot of the flights. I'm going to get over as often as I can until they get him patched up and sent back. His wife texted before to say he won't shut up today! It's alll a bit gibberish, but he's having a go and that's ace. I recently spoke with someone who was in the same boat and it took them 7 weeks to go from this state to talking fully again. Amazing things, brains, I guess. Fingers crossed.

As for fundraising, we've been doing our bit in The Volly in Waterloo, but there's a boozer round the corner called Stamps Too and they have live music and stuff. The places appeal to the same kind of crowd (alcoholics!) and I've heard they've offered to do a night with bands on to help out, so I'm off to see Frank there later to see what we can come up with jointly.

I had to get from Dusseldorf to Dublin yesterday for some work and while I was there I met a friend of mine who's senior in the Dublin Lions charitable organisation. For Carls 40th we took him to Dublin and played golf at Portmarnock before getting trashed all day at Temple Bar, and Gerry is another guy who has a lot of time for Carl. He instantly gave a hundred quid when I told him what we were up to, but also mentioned that this week, on behalf of the Lions they'd handed over 20 grand to buy the first neuro feedback machine in the country or something and that it is fantastic for cases like Carl's - and that one way or the other, whether Carl gets to the machine or the machine gets to Carl he'll get the use of it. Aren't people ace?

Good news, things are sounding a lot more promising. Cheers for the update mate.

Just been on headline news on KEY 103. ( 2.00 PM )
The family would like to thank the guy who helped Carl after the fall.

That's great news crump. Thanks for the update. Send him regards/love from us all.

Good to hear he is starting to come round.
Well done Carl and everyone else, just shows it's not just about football. It's about us all, the Club and the Fans
WHICH ARE THE CLUB

City till I die :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.