City fans at Liverpool

Citytillidie69 said:
M18CTID said:
Just to balance things up, do you feel exactly the same way about all those Irish people who sing Irish rebel songs? Or is that okay because it is "part of their culture"? I've already stated on this thread why I have sung "No surrender" in the past and I feel perfectly justified in doing so on those occasions - but I don't see the point in singing it randomly every week whenever City play. I've also stated that I've been in numerous pubs and clubs in Ireland and whenever a rebel song has been played sometimes a good 90% or more of the people have happily joined in. Also, perhaps you can explain why at so many Irish weddings I've been to, they feel the need to play rebel songs? Perhaps you can also explain why in my home town of Manchester, we have to hear "Sinn Fein/IRA" chants almost every time The Fields of Athenry gets played. I wouldn't mind, but those chants aren't even part of the song but someone, somewhere, has felt the need to add them over time.

If you feel that 99% of those that have ever sung "No surrender" are loyalist racist bigots then by your twisted logic 99% that have ever sung a rebel song are republican racist bigots.

Where in your home town in Manchester do you hear these songs? The Irish Club in Chorlton, the 32 Club in Ardwick or the Fiddlers in Levenshulme. These are all IRISH clubs and pubs where you will hear these rebels songs. They are not sung in weatherspoons or the Waldorf, so why do you go to places that sing these songs if you dont like them?

At Eastlands, we are there to support City and not "other causes".
These Irish clubs they are full of real and "plastic Paddy's" who are are there to support Ireland and its history. You are not being forced enter these places under false pretences.
I dont attend BNP rallies or C18 meetings, so why should I listen to there "battle cry" while watching my beloved City.

I've heard that stuff in both the Irish Club in Chorlton and the Palace in Levenshulme plenty of times. The Fiddlers to my knowledge doesn't encourage that kind of thing. Either way, what are you saying? That it's acceptable for those kind of songs to be aired in Irish pubs even if they're on English soil? You sound like an apologist to me. And what about the famous incident in 2001 when the Rags were playing Celtic in Gigg's testimonial, and some Celtic fans decided to have a pro-IRA sing-song outside the postbox where the bomb went off in 1996? That wasn't in an Irish pub was it?

And it's all well and good saying that I'm not being forced to enter these places but if you'd bothered to read my previous posts on this thread you'd realise that my ex-girlfriend is Irish, and as a result I've gained plenty of Irish friends over the years. Hence, I've spent a lot of time in Irish pubs both here and in Ireland. So what am I supposed to do if I'm over visiting her family in Ireland and while out for a drink a rebel song comes on? By your reckoning I should storm out of the place and get the next flight home. Get real ffs.

For the umpteenth time, I'll spell out my own feelings as you seem totally and utterly unable to grasp what I've been saying:

1) I don't agree with City fans singing No surrender week in week out and I'd sooner it wasn't sung at all - look back through my posts on this thread and you'll see that I've been saying that all along
2) But there has been occasion in the past when it was justified
3) Not all those that have ever sung it are loyalist racist bigots no matter which way you try and dress it up, regardless of the song's origins
4) By the same token, not everyone who has sung an Irish rebel song is a republican racist bigot either

'They are, and have always been, a bunch of Bigoted wankers. The Governers hated them for being sectarian and racist, and would not have anything to do them. It is the same bunch who think City are Pro Rangers, Pro Anti catholic, Pro Anti Irish, Pro ultra right wing.'

interesting comment .... is this an actual gang or faction within our ( away) support?

M35 Blue said:
As my last post is now getting dragged around I would just like to state that I said I dont see anything wrong with it. I stick by this as I have always beleived that people should stand up to terrorists. IRA/Al Quieda whoever.
I am pissed off though as it seems that my post is getting dragged into an anti/pro Ireland argument. I dont like terrorists of any nationality and DOES NOT mean i dont like the people of that particular country. In this care Ireland, in fact a country and people I have a great amount of time for.

My sentiments exactly. But judging by what some on here have read into what I've posted, you'd think I was best mates with Johnny "Mad Dog" Adair and I listened to The Sash every night before I went to bed. Which couldn't be further from the truth.

M18CTID said:
My sentiments exactly. But judging by what some on here have read into what I've posted, you'd think I was best mates with Johnny "Mad Dog" Adair and I listened to The Sash every night before I went to bed. Which couldn't be further from the truth.

to be fair, you'd be his only mate

M18CTID said:
Citytillidie69 said:
M18CTID said:
Just to balance things up, do you feel exactly the same way about all those Irish people who sing Irish rebel songs? Or is that okay because it is "part of their culture"? I've already stated on this thread why I have sung "No surrender" in the past and I feel perfectly justified in doing so on those occasions - but I don't see the point in singing it randomly every week whenever City play. I've also stated that I've been in numerous pubs and clubs in Ireland and whenever a rebel song has been played sometimes a good 90% or more of the people have happily joined in. Also, perhaps you can explain why at so many Irish weddings I've been to, they feel the need to play rebel songs? Perhaps you can also explain why in my home town of Manchester, we have to hear "Sinn Fein/IRA" chants almost every time The Fields of Athenry gets played. I wouldn't mind, but those chants aren't even part of the song but someone, somewhere, has felt the need to add them over time.

If you feel that 99% of those that have ever sung "No surrender" are loyalist racist bigots then by your twisted logic 99% that have ever sung a rebel song are republican racist bigots.

Where in your home town in Manchester do you hear these songs? The Irish Club in Chorlton, the 32 Club in Ardwick or the Fiddlers in Levenshulme. These are all IRISH clubs and pubs where you will hear these rebels songs. They are not sung in weatherspoons or the Waldorf, so why do you go to places that sing these songs if you dont like them?

At Eastlands, we are there to support City and not "other causes".
These Irish clubs they are full of real and "plastic Paddy's" who are are there to support Ireland and its history. You are not being forced enter these places under false pretences.
I dont attend BNP rallies or C18 meetings, so why should I listen to there "battle cry" while watching my beloved City.

I've heard that stuff in both the Irish Club in Chorlton and the Palace in Levenshulme plenty of times. The Fiddlers to my knowledge doesn't encourage that kind of thing. Either way, what are you saying? That it's acceptable for those kind of songs to be aired in Irish pubs even if they're on English soil? You sound like an apologist to me. And what about the famous incident in 2001 when the Rags were playing Celtic in Gigg's testimonial, and some Celtic fans decided to have a pro-IRA sing-song outside the postbox where the bomb went off in 1996? That wasn't in an Irish pub was it?

And it's all well and good saying that I'm not being forced to enter these places but if you'd bothered to read my previous posts on this thread you'd realise that my ex-girlfriend is Irish, and as a result I've gained plenty of Irish friends over the years. Hence, I've spent a lot of time in Irish pubs both here and in Ireland. So what am I supposed to do if I'm over visiting her family in Ireland and while out for a drink a rebel song comes on? By your reckoning I should storm out of the place and get the next flight home. Get real ffs.

For the umpteenth time, I'll spell out my own feelings as you seem totally and utterly unable to grasp what I've been saying:

1) I don't agree with City fans singing No surrender week in week out and I'd sooner it wasn't sung at all - look back through my posts on this thread and you'll see that I've been saying that all along
2) But there has been occasion in the past when it was justified
3) Not all those that have ever sung it are loyalist racist bigots no matter which way you try and dress it up, regardless of the song's origins
4) By the same token, not everyone who has sung an Irish rebel song is a republican racist bigot either

Just regarding the singing of rebel songs, there is a difference between rebel songs and traditional irish music. Rebel songs are for dinosaurs who regard rugby and soccer as foreign sports, traditional irish music is part of our culture. I know what you are saying about the 'no surrender' in 1997, I cant argue there, Im just saying there is no reason to sing it now the ira are no more. And I just want to know why people want to keep singing it when there i peace in the north is all. Anyhow this debate could go on forever so ill agree to disagree. On a lighter note found this on youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82XekR_5ymo

M18CTID said:
AlexWilliamsGloves said:
M18CTID said:

pmsl

:-)

M18CTID said:
AlexWilliamsGloves said:
M18CTID said:

pmsl

:-)

cyberblue said:
I will ask again why Sing it at a Football Match ?

As you know, Liverpool has a massive Irish fan base and I would suggest that it was aimed at them. Last time I went to Anfield there were chants of "England" for the same reason, to wind up the scousers who were singing the Anfield road song to the tune of the "Fields of Athenry"

To all you liberals and Irish nationalists - City are an English club who are known for supporting England actively. Long may it remain so too, I wouldn't have it any other way. The previous posters I'm sure would love the anti-British/English atmosphere of United or Celtic more.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.