City Fans Leaving Early/Empty seats

So many people saying they don't care about the champs league, yet against Real Madrid in the SF a few years ago and Liverpool last season there was a mad dash for tickets. Lets be honest, a lot of people use the whole 'i hate the champs league / uefa' as an excuse not to go to an unglamourous tie on a weds night. If it was Barca or Real, or a SF, most of those same people would be there in a shot.
big difference between the group stages and a semi final

I always attend the Champions League games, but it never really gets me excited in the way the Premier League does. The group stages, in particular, can feel like a chore at times.

I don't think the draw helps with the excitement.

Lyon aren't that exciting, feels like we play Shakhtar all the time, Hoffenheim is nothing special.

Last season the Napoli games were great, the rest not so much.

2016 the Barcelona games were pretty special, even though we were shit in the first one. 2015 was good with Juventus & Sevilla.

I know we complained about groups of death in the past, but I still think the ideal group has 2 big teams battling it out for 1st and then a 3rd team who makes things interesting at least. Otherwise the competition starts in February.

big difference between the group stages and a semi final
Yes totally agree. However, if people claim to be not interested in the CL, then it shouldn't matter if its Lyon in the group stages or a SF against Madrid. We all know thats bollocks though, majority of those people will be there at the Semi despite their hatred of the competition.

I don't think the draw helps with the excitement.

Lyon aren't that exciting, feels like we play Shakhtar all the time, Hoffenheim is nothing special.

Last season the Napoli games were great, the rest not so much.

2016 the Barcelona games were pretty special, even though we were shit in the first one. 2015 was good with Juventus & Sevilla.

I know we complained about groups of death in the past, but I still think the ideal group has 2 big teams battling it out for 1st and then a 3rd team who makes things interesting at least. Otherwise the competition starts in February.
Lyon aren’t that exciting but they beat us far too easily.
One more slip up and we’ll be fighting for 2nd, never mind first.

Unfortunately if you get complacent in the group stages they can bite you on the arse.

Yes totally agree. However, if people claim to be not interested in the CL, then it shouldn't matter if its Lyon in the group stages or a SF against Madrid. We all know thats bollocks though, majority of those people will be there at the Semi despite their hatred of the competition.
I'll be honest and say I was at both the Real Madrid and Liverpool games. As much as the CL doesn't do much for me as a competition, those are games you want to see. Let's be honest, if we were playing Southend in the 3rd round of the FA Cup, you wouldn't expect as big a crowd as we'd get for Arsenal or Chelsea in the QF.

I don't know about anyone else but these night games leave me a bit shattered. I was up for work at 6.45 yesterday, climbed into bed at 11.45 and up again this morning. Not seen my kids since Tuesday. Found work really tiring today and just want to go to bed as soon as I finish tonight. I can totally see why anyone would watch it on tv.

I don't know about anyone else but these night games leave me a bit shattered. I was up for work at 6.45 yesterday, climbed into bed at 11.45 and up again this morning. Not seen my kids since Tuesday. Found work really tiring today and just want to go to bed as soon as I finish tonight. I can totally see why anyone would watch it on tv.
I’m the same

Night games are always hard work for me and god knows how people from further afield manage it. Multiple occasions when ive driven ive missed kick off, i think it was west brom one year i got there at half time. If i get the train, means not getting home till after midnight and as you say its exhausting.

I'm always so wound up after games - win, lose or draw - that it takes me quite a while to get to sleep so I'll still be awake at 2 or 3 in the morning.

I understand. When I had a young family & was working away from home Monday to Friday I'd given up my season ticket & wasn't going to very many games in the 1990's but City were always my club first and foremost. When we played Gillingham in the play-off game I was in New York and you should have seen me and my son dancing around the room when Dickov's equaliser came up on the BBC text feed. Then we started going together and went home and away & that enabled us to build a wonderful bond that we still have, even though he's now 5,000 miles away. He would give almost anything to get to games regularly again so I feel a little twinge that there's a game I'm not attending when I can. But this was a point of principle as I felt that there was no need for a piddling little increase when I know that the club were shocked by the reaction to the previous one. I know people also gave up Platinum due to that.

So while it hurts not to go to a home game just a few miles away, I feel that I'm making a point and also getting some of that £40 increase I've been faced with the last two seasons back. And if the club realise that by me posting and tweeting about it, so much the better.

Personally I just paid the increase and didn't give it a thought until I seen the response on BM which changed my opinion somewhat.
Similar experience for Dickov's equaliser, I was on the other side of the world and all I could get was the BBC feed text which I couldn't believe until I got confirmation from a mate.
Anyway the game last night confirmed to me the club need to realize they are going out of their way to attract the wrong fans, there are thousands of local fans who they need to be targeting.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.