City fans writing John Stones off too early?

Even better, get him a mental performance coach, sit back and wait for the fireworks! ;)
LOL, that has done wonders for Joe Hart! Have you watched gloved on youtube? not a great advert for his sports psychologist!

Stones has lost form but not ability. I think the problem is self-doubt but that's still a hurdle to overcome.

Would like to see him stay and come through and show the rest of football that he is a top defender.
Think we all would, but , if we go with " in pep we trust. " cant see it happening.

He has 2 years left. This is our window to get decent money from him. I agree about congested season but I’m not having the ’rediscover himself’ argument. It’s ridiculous how people can be so patient with him. He hasn’t been here 18 month, he’s been here 4 years.
And he was great for two of those seasons barring injury- playing in our best ever team. I can see both sides of this argument... but I think- bearing in mind he's English and we're probably losing Garcia- he's worth keeping hold of.
Pep seems to disagree though, and that's all important!

For reasons I cannot understand, people suddenly have such optimistic views on John Stones and now seem to want him to stay at all cost. He’s been part of our team for 4 years and was crucial two years ago, but he hasn’t performed on the highest level since the end of the 17/18 campaign. Laporte and Kompany was the key reason we won 14 straight league games last year when we beat Liverpool to the title.

The problem with Stones is he looks scared when defending. He’s a passive defender backing into goal rather than engaging and it seems he’s just waiting for someone else to do his job for him. On several occasions I’ve seen a frustrated De Bruyne run down to tackle the opposition off the ball because the defender is just standing there doing nothing.

We need defenders who can step in and be proactive, defenders who look to intercept or show some physicality on the ground. That’s the reason we bought Aké because that’s exactly how he plays. Stones is an excellent passer of the ball but he is lacking a lot of attributes required for a good central defender and my patience with him ran out a long time ago. I’m actually quite stunned people continue to overlook his mediocrity and simply wanna wait until he rediscover himself.

Guardiola picks a 35-year old central defensive midfielder and a 19-year old and inexperienced CB ahead of John Stones in huge games. That should tell you everything you need to know about his (lack of) quality.

Finally: I’m not ungrateful, I know what he brought to the team in terms of records and trophies, and I have nothing against him. He seems like a good guy but we’ll never reach our highest level as a team with him in the heart of our defence. Period.

If somebody offered 25+ million for him I'd bite their hand off. He's done a job for us and won some trophies and been well paid into the bargain but it's time to move on. Everytime I see his name in the starting line up I fear the worst.

I want the best for Stones and still believe in him. But, City would be downright foolish to expect anything from him at this point. We have been waiting for 2 years for him to return to form. That's an eternity at this level. Hell, that's an eternity in any line of work - how many of your employers would stick by your side after 2 years of disappointing returns?

Patience has it's limits. I hope he turns it around and returns to form, and I hope it's with City. But the club simply can't go into this season banking on it.

For reasons I cannot understand, people suddenly have such optimistic views on John Stones and now seem to want him to stay at all cost. He’s been part of our team for 4 years and was crucial two years ago, but he hasn’t performed on the highest level since the end of the 17/18 campaign. Laporte and Kompany was the key reason we won 14 straight league games last year when we beat Liverpool to the title.

The problem with Stones is he looks scared when defending. He’s a passive defender backing into goal rather than engaging and it seems he’s just waiting for someone else to do his job for him. On several occasions I’ve seen a frustrated De Bruyne run down to tackle the opposition off the ball because the defender is just standing there doing nothing.

We need defenders who can step in and be proactive, defenders who look to intercept or show some physicality on the ground. That’s the reason we bought Aké because that’s exactly how he plays. Stones is an excellent passer of the ball but he is lacking a lot of attributes required for a good central defender and my patience with him ran out a long time ago. I’m actually quite stunned people continue to overlook his mediocrity and simply wanna wait until he rediscover himself.

Guardiola picks a 35-year old central defensive midfielder and a 19-year old and inexperienced CB ahead of John Stones in huge games. That should tell you everything you need to know about his (lack of) quality.

Finally: I’m not ungrateful, I know what he brought to the team in terms of records and trophies, and I have nothing against him. He seems like a good guy but we’ll never reach our highest level as a team with him in the heart of our defence. Period.
Could this new love in for Stones have anything to do with KKs performance the other night?

I think the thread should end on this comprehensive case for getting shut of him while he has some value.

Could this new love in for Stones have anything to do with KKs performance the other night?

It wouldn’t make any sense. It’s 1 game, and Koulibaly faced the worlds best player.

Who has arguably been the best central defender the world has seen these past 10 years (besides Kompany ofc)? Sergio Ramos.

A Ramos in his prime couldn’t stop Messi, yet everyone goes nuts when a 29 year old Koulibaly struggled against Messi this weekend. It’s expected when facing him.

Here’s a compilation of Messi destroying Ramos. Looking at this, no wonder any CB would struggle.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.