City fans writing John Stones off too early?

Great OP. I remain adamant that no player of ours receives more underserved and unfair criticism than John Stones. It borders on the ridiculous a lot of the time.

He is definitely good enough for this team and has proven that beyond doubt. I'm sticking by him to bounce back next season.

He'll need to stop looking and playing like Rab C Nesbitt if he wants to bounce anywhere.

If someone is only great alongside Laporte, is he really great? Or is he just a competent defender who a world class defender is getting the best out of? And what does that say about going into the season with him as our first choice? It basically means that again we go into a season where we can expect a massive drop in performance every time Laporte isn't playing.

For comparison, Liverpool have the best defensive record in the league and yet I wouldn't want any of Gomez, Matip or Lovren in our team, because we all know that without Van Dijk, it would all fall to pieces.

It's actually pretty rare for a team to have two genuinely world class CBs in the same team, but we should be aiming for that, especially given the way we play.

Our CL hopes do not rest on our 5th choice centre back. Nobody relies on that player for anything. He might even be our 6th choice with Rodri arguably above him too in Pep’s thinking.

I like Stones but the attitude that he has been written off has come directly from Guardiola. How are we meant to think of John as anything but a lost cause when he never gets picked ahead of an incompetent Otamendi, a geriatric Fernandinho and a teenage García?

Indeed. If you are behind Otamendi then something is wrong. Doesn’t matter what the fans think. The only opinion that matters is Peps.

Something John Stones brings to the team is personality. I saw him holding back the tears in that documentary. I saw Pep telling the press that Stones has more heart and bravery than anyone in that room.

Stones is a likeable fella, hard working, plays with his heart on his sleeve, and I get the feeling the team/squad fight for him, just like Sterlings treatment galvanised the team I think Stones is an important figure in the whole squad makeup.

But yes, his mind isnt in the right place and hopefully he will get back there because City (Like every big club) need players who play for the badge

He needs to be playing consistently to get the best from him.
Unfortunately injuries usually prevent that.

I do think he will be ok next to Laporte but as others have said, for what we paid we were obviously expecting a player that could raise the level of the person next to him(a leader), not to have to pair him with another £50m+ player to raise his level. I don't think we should sell him though, unless an offer too good to turn down comes in.

I think if we sold him on the cheap, without the pressures of playing for City on him, he'd probably start playing well again knowing our luck. That's how it felt it went with Boateng to me.

Stones is 26 still and if people wanna give mendy another season , we should five John another season. When he’s been fit and playing with confidence he’s just as good as Laporte for me.

Lescott was nothing more than competent without Kompany alongside him.
I felt that Stones needed Laporte in the same way.
It’s sad to see the way that he’s gone backwards, how much of it is down to his personal life we’ll probably never know.
If he was to be given another chance perhaps in a back three his confidence could return.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.