City & FFP | 2020/21 Accounts released | Revenues of £569.8m, £2.4m profit (p 2395)

Re: City & FFP (continued)

And just to rub salt in UEFA's wounds, we'll have 6000 more fans for the CL, if we qualify, in 2015-16.

[bigimg]http://i2.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/incoming/article6197791.ece/alternates/s2197/etihad-expansion-5.jpg[/bigimg]

Is Wenger still the Arsenal Manager in that render?

AustinBlue said:
TrueBlue1705 said:
YourBirdCanSing22 said:
I've said it before and I'll keep saying it:
Our media team are NOT up to the job of managing one of the biggest news cycles in modern sport, and our owners are getting the wrong advice with regard to how to handle the press.

Good points, I agree with most of that - I think are owners are trying to play by the rules and have been naive to say the least, not just on the PR side but also the fuckwit accountants we hired to make sure we complied with FFP need the boot, they are obviously taking millions of the owners and must have been telling them we are on course to comply!! ...

I am worried this has only just started I think Gill has plans to put a spanner in the works in the PL next. He and the Chelsea chairman are increasingly powerful, whilst Scudamore's position is becoming more difficult and he may not have the stomach to fight these guys...

When you try and manipulate the press like that, it almost always blows up in your face. The media are more interested in your desire to change the story and make you look ever worse in the process. What you have described above is no reflective of the reality of how the media works and what power a club might have to frame the story. It also ignores the fact that if we try and shame any single person, then we make a real enemy. It is far more effective to work quietly and behind the scenes and build long term relationships.. and sometimes take some public punishment so someone can save face, but build in loopholes so the impact is minimal. It's not clear this was poorly handled. It could be this was brilliantly handled. How can you ever know?

You CAN know.

You look across the media landscape: From every tabloid to broadsheet to blog. You speak to people in the pub, in your work, and to fans of other clubs. And you take a general average of how many factual accuracies vs inaccuracies dominate the media and public opinion, with regard to City.

Until 2 weeks ago, when City clearly decided to change their policy, break their silence and start briefing journalists on this subject, 95% of ALL popular public opinion did not reflect the truth: That these ‘rules’ are a huge lie by a powerful mafia and have nothing whatsoever to do with ‘fairness.’

There were just one or two voices in the media questioning them, and they were drowned out by a media and public opinion that had been sold - and bought - UEFA’s bullshit, lock, stock and barrel.

And yet, in the last 2 weeks, a number of journalists, clearly briefed by the club have FINALLY started to chip away at the bullshit - writing/tweeting about the hypocrisy, comparing our debt-free status to the joke that passes for the Glazer debt ‘model’ and pointing to the huge regeneration in East Manchester as a reason for us not to be punished. But that little bit of good work will now be buried now by the avalanche of coverage about us being found ‘guilty,’ ‘caught’ and ‘stopped from spending’

It was too little, too late. It was a failed media strategy.

WHY did we wait almost 3 years to start fighting back via the press? Because we were VERY naive. We gave those lying, greedy hypocrites a 3 year head start in the PR war, when they had a huge advantage over us to begin with.

We lost the battle for hearts and minds, hands down. Yet I often read in these pages that Simon Pearce is such an influential PR man, and Vicky Kloss is a lovely person.

As others have said, our owners come from a completely different media culture. The media in Europe is dominated by sleaze and the interests of a handful of powerful people. When those same people are out to get you, and are playing dirty, sometimes, you have to fight back. Sometimes the high road doesn’t take you where you need it to.

So the only conclusion to be drawn is that anyone who's advising our owners that total silence is the right PR strategy against a media full of extremely powerful people who are out to get us is wrong, and probably out of their depth at this level.

The financial sanctions may not have affected us, but the soon-to-be worldwide belief that UEFA have won a ‘just’ battle or a ‘fair’ fight against our owners (Or even worse, we were caught out trying to 'cheat' the rules) is a huge defeat for us, in my opinion.

How's this work with regards transfers. I've read we are restricted to £60m in transfers this summer. But from an accounting point of view transfers are amortised so they spread over the length of the contract.

So given that we are judged on ffp on accounts per year ie amortised fees how can tbey restrict the fees we pay this summer as part of the total amount.

A £30m signing over a 3 year contract is more expensive than a £40m signing on a 5 year contract basically in accounting terms.

BlueAnorak said:
Lets just spell out what the club said:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/2014/May/Club-statement-16-May" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/20 ... ent-16-May</a>
MCFC Financial Fair Play Statement:
Manchester City Football Club can confirm that at the end of the current financial year (May 31st) it is on course to financially break even, as planned.
Operating with no debt, the Club is realising its football and commercial opportunities whilst continuing unprecedented investments in both youth development and the local community
From the outset, the Club has engaged with UEFA in its introduction of the Financial Fair Play Regulations in good faith and without prejudice and in a transparent and collaborative manner. The Club’s position is that it is beholden upon UEFA and the European football establishment to ensure the same.
The Club can confirm that it has been in discussions with UEFA over the last month - in relation to the application of Financial Fair Play regulations - as has been widely reported and communicated by UEFA. At the heart of those discussions is a fundamental disagreement between the Club’s and UEFA’s respective interpretations of the FFP regulations on players purchased before 2010. The Club believes it has complied with the FFP regulations on this and all other matters.
In normal circumstances, the Club would wish to pursue its case and present its position through every avenue of recourse. However, our decision to do so must be balanced against the practical realities for our fans, for our partners and in the interests of the commercial operations of the Club.
As a result of these considerations and the fact that the Club is now break even in in its operations, the Club has decided to enter into a compromise agreement with UEFA with the following practical outcomes:
- MCFC will lose 10m Euros of its share of income from UEFA for competing in the Champions League completion in season 2013-14.
- MCFC will lose 10m Euros of its share of income from UEFA for competing in the Champions League for season 2014-15
- Rather than having an accumulative allowance of 30m Euros of losses over the next two reporting years (like all other clubs), MCFC will have specific stipulated allowances for 2013-14 and 2014-15 of 20m Euros and 10m Euros respectively. Significantly, MCFC plans to be profitable in 2014-15 and in the years that follow.
- The MCFC Champions League squad for the 2014-15 competition will be limited to 21 players. In 2013-14 the club registered 23 players for the competition and used 21.
- The Club’s expenditure on new players for the upcoming summer transfer window, on top of income from players it might sell, will be limited to 60m euros. This will have no material impact on the Club’s planned transfer activity.
- The wage bill of the whole club (playing and non-playing staff) for 2014-15 will need to remain at the same level as that of 2013-14 season. It is important to note that additional bonuses for performances can be paid outside this number. Importantly, in reality, the existing MCFC business plan sees a natural decline in that wage bill.
- Given the unique nature of the new City Football Group structure – which incorporates MCFC, New York City, Melbourne Heart and a number of other companies, the Club has agreed to certain non-material terms in order to make FFP reporting as easy as possible for UEFA to discern.
The nature of conditions that will result in the lifting of sanctions means that the Club expects to be operating without sanction or restriction at the commencement of the 2015-16 season.
Importantly all non-financial sanctions agreed to would have been complied with as a natural course of the Club’s planned business operations.

Basically, UEFA excluded the revenue from selling IP rights to the City Football Group (about £25m) which meant that we failed FFP by about £15m and couldn't remove the wages from pre June 2010 contracts (about £80m) leaving a total failure of £95m. The Etihad deal is fine as is the sale of IP to an unknown party.
At first glance the fine of €40m is extortionate but we should get over half of it it back if we pass FFP next season which we will.
The squad limitation isn't that bad as we only used a squad of 21 for the last two seasons anyway.
We are limited to the current wage bill - but that probably includes the money from Mancinis sacking so that isn't too bad and doesn't include bonus payments for winning stuff.
Then we are also are limited to spending €60m Euros in the transfer market (excluding sales) this summer - but I'm not sure we were spending much more than that anyway.

At the end of the day the club are being pragmatic. The €20m fine that we will pay is actually an entry fee into the Champions League Cartel.

A good summary and sensible mature view

BringBackSwales said:
One thing that does not seem to be getting commented upon is the part of our statement which says that the wage freeze does not include performance related bonuses - I have a feeling that if needed we can turn a larger element of pay from base salary to performance bonuses. I think this is one of many get outs which the club have shrewdly negotiated

Our new wage structure under the Barca boys is basically that. If a player wants 100k p/w we give them a basic 80k p/w and top it up to 120k p/w if certain performance related conditions are met

Tho I don't think we need to worry about wages.

RandomJ said:
Marvin said:
RandomJ said:
I'm very disappointed City have just decided to bend over and take it. I don't think there would have been many fans out there who would have complained had we decided to take the cunts to court. But now the club has validated FFP and pretty much allowed them to continue to take the piss next season as well. Now we can't strengthen our squad to the level we would have liked so risk being in exactly the same situation we were when we last won the title where we didn't strengthen the squad enough and got left behind.
Easy to say fight UEFA. Think of the implications in terms of the clubs image and the players ambitions of playing in Europe.

Well you could just say to those same players that if we accept the sanctions we are effectively going to the CL with the odds stacked against us. We are now like a boxer going into a title fight with one of our arms tied behind our backs. We now can't sign the world class players other teams can because they are too expensive and we only have a 21 man squad 8 of which need to be home grown. Anyone claiming this as a victory for the club need to take their blue tinted specs off and see we have been well and truly shafted and the club has just rolled over and taken it.

We weren't going to spend loads on 'world class' players, we were going to just strengthen the squad! We will.

In the future, we will be fucking minted & they can't touch us, so if we want to sign huge players, we will generate the income to do it, as they have failed to stop our avenues of income & we haven't even scratched the surface.

We haven't admitted any wrongdoing, so if they get arsey with us, we can still take it to court in the future.

Prestwich_Blue said:
chaddblue said:
I'm on a train and pissed. But reading the official city statement it seems we've won, but made to look like uefa have won?
I'm not sure we'd say we've won but it seems like we're relatively unscathed. The sanctions are largely non-sanctions given where we are and our future plans. But they look tough.
and, by accepting the settlement, confirm to the world MCFC cheated by cooking the books.

strongbowholic said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
chaddblue said:
I'm on a train and pissed. But reading the official city statement it seems we've won, but made to look like uefa have won?
I'm not sure we'd say we've won but it seems like we're relatively unscathed. The sanctions are largely non-sanctions given where we are and our future plans. But they look tough.
and, by accepting the settlement, confirm to the world MCFC cheated by cooking the books.

NO. We have admitted nothing.

posted by someone a few pages back.....

It's not about stopping City.

We have won our battle, but UEFA have won the war.

We are in. We are going to break even. This time next year we will be fully compliant. UEFA have no issue with any of our first party related sponsorships like ETIHAD. We've failed on a wage technicality.

However, now the elite are enshrined. We have just got in in time. Clubs like Tottenham have cheered this all along but when they see United turn around and laugh as they start signing the next Berbatov they will realise how stupid they were to believe United and let United, Arsenal and Liverpool rewrite history to make sugar daddy clubs look like the ones trying to stifle competition.

Quite simply the most on the money post in the whole thread.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.