city in yellow

another ace thread, how do some people expect people to be calm about things that are happening now, when we are still worrying about city playing in a yellow away kit 21 years ago.

Corky said:
At the time it seemed like every away team at Maine Rd would play in yellow, and as everyone else had a yellow away kit maybe City felt left out.

I remember a fanzine article at the time bemoaning that yellow kit and saying that it represented the loss of a distinction that no one remembered us playing in yellow, which the author described as "the colour of everyone and yet the colour of no one" because so many teams used it for their away kit. Thought that was a nice way of putting it, and I've never liked us wearing yellow since then.<br /><br />-- Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:44 pm --<br /><br />
fathellensbellend said:
another ace thread, how do some people expect people to be calm about things that are happening now, when we are still worrying about city playing in a yellow away kit 21 years ago.

Ha, ha, exactly! :)

Dyed Petya said:
Corky said:
At the time it seemed like every away team at Maine Rd would play in yellow, and as everyone else had a yellow away kit maybe City felt left out.

I remember a fanzine article at the time bemoaning that yellow kit and saying that it represented the loss of a distinction that no one remembered us playing in yellow, which the author described as "the colour of everyone and yet the colour of no one" because so many teams used it for their away kit. Thought that was a nice way of putting it, and I've never liked us wearing yellow since then.

-- Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:44 pm --

fathellensbellend said:

Ha, ha, exactly! :)

i think the biggest irony was nobody to a man expected city to trot out in yellow, it was like WTF.

what about the yellow kappa kit with the one black vertical stripe over the shoulder, that was top....

cant find a pic of it though !

Dyed Petya said:
Dyed Petya said:
neil jung said:
The one Law wore looks more orange than yellow to me, Peter.

I remembered it as yellow but I could easily be wrong. Haven't seen that pic for a long time, as my copy of the book is in storage in England. I do remember that it wasn't the maroon I'd have expected us to be wearing as an away kit in those days, anyway.

Well, this is in black and white, but it's footage of Law's debut (found the link on newsnow a few minutes ago, coincidentally!) - the kit is far too dark to be yellow, though, and the commentator calls it old gold and black. So neil jung is right, basically, and we were kitted out as Wolves!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mhA4zjx3v4[/youtube]

But in that case, I'm pretty sure I've seen a different picture of a yellow or orange style kit with white shorts from around the same time. Am I just going mad or is there anything to it? Do any of our senior posters or historians have any idea?

Only just spotted this bit hopefully can help...

Law did make his debut in yellow. It was referred to by the media as old gold, which suggests it was darker than we all think.

The image that appeared in "Manchester The Greatest City" was of Law that season (1959-1960) wearing the strip (but different shorts), however it was a coloured version created for Charlie Buchan's soccer gift book (or the Big Book Of Soccer, I can't remember at the moment). The person who coloured this in was clearly unaware of the actual colour and he coloured the V collar maroon and the top of the socks the same colour.

He also made the shirt a more orangey colour than he should have: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.facebook.com/GaryJames4#!/photo.php?fbid=10150243227957816&set=pu.289818652815&type=1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.facebook.com/GaryJames4#!/ph ... =1&theater</a>

The white shorts version of the yellow kit was used at Spurs that season (photo at bottom of the same page in Manchester The Greatest City).

The maroon bits were actually black and Law's debut was in the yellow/old gold shirts with black V, black shorts, and black and yellow socks.

On the other 1989 yellow kit. Colorsport have a few photos from that game. I've posted one of Ian Bishop in the reserach folder on my facebook page: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.facebook.com/GaryJames4#!/photo.php?fbid=10150243212807816&set=pu.289818652815&type=1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.facebook.com/GaryJames4#!/ph ... =1&theater</a>

anyone else remember that one off yellow kit we wore at QPR ?

all the City players kept their training tops on during the warm up and when they ran out in a yellow top with a strange black P on the back

all the City fans looked at each other saying WTF ?

I first started going to Maine Road in 1958 - our second strip at the time was "Old Gold and Black" , similar to Wolves.
The annual curtain raiser to the season in those days was a First Team versus Reserves match ( no pre season visits to the States !).The reserves always played in Black and Gold.
I can remember such giants as Ron Phoenix, David Shawcross & Paul Aimson wearing the strip with distinction.
The first team did wear it occasionally - hence the picture with Denis Law.
I am not a historian so cannot remember the specific dates etc.
Hope this helps

the talisman said:
I was at that one, top day out.

City fans just laughed when the players ran out in that awful kit.

We got absolutely thrashed, it was men against boys that day.

As usual city fans made the best of it and had a great day out in London, Arse fans didn't get our sense of humour and couldn't work out why we were having such a laugh.

Arsenal always seemed so strong in those days, very physical and city always seemed to get bullied by them. We can give it back now though with all our 6 foot plus players, can't wait for the new season, come on you blues!!!!!!

And never again in yellow please.

Me too, I remember the bewilderment on everyones faces

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.